Notchy Shift between 1st and 2nd ?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gmly

Notchy Shift between 1st and 2nd ?

Post by gmly »

Hi
I just bought a 2000 VTR 1000F after selling my 2003 GSXR 1000 and was wondering if the 1st to 2nd gear upshift is a little notchy?
Is this normal? all other gears seem to be smooth
Bike has only 7000KM on it and does not look like it was abused Original tires with lots of tread life and absolutely no damage or road rash whatso ever
2000 VTR 1000 Firestorm
plivesey

Post by plivesey »

Can't speak for anyone else, and I've only ever ridden my own Firestorm, but I've had mine for 7 years, from 6 months old with only a few thousand km on the clock. From day one, the shift between first and second has been akin to being belted with a lump hammer.

There's a definite clunk on the change. It's always felt like it needed another gear between first and second (that wasn't neutral). All the other changes are great though.
French import, yellow 97 Firestorm. Written off by a french madman, rebuilt by an english idiot.
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Hi gmly

Had my Storm from new and its always been clunky changing up. Works best if you do it clutchless.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Seems to be a transcontinental pattern going on here ! Or is it a huge conspiracy ?
Anyway check out the states version of this excellent site, and on the same subject :
http://www.superhawkforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1082
Also i seem to remember athread mentioning different oils/ viscosity, etc
Try a search. Am too busy getting tipsy after taking my newly set up storm back home on new bloody tyres !!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Yep, common trait with all storms, as said before it's better if you don't use the clutch.

Ian

P.S Thats a good looking storm you have there
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Gmly,
As the others say changing up from 1st to 2nd is normally clunky, best tip I found is, to use the torque, change from 1st to 2nd as soon as possible, you don't need to rev it hard in 1st before changing to 2nd with all that torque, the lower the speed is in 1st the easier it changes into 2nd,
hope that helps,
cheers Chris.
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

I've always found honda gear boxes to be notchy 1st to 2nd compared to other makes ie suzuki but the overall build quality makes up for it IMO
The voices made me do it
banana man

Clunky Box

Post by banana man »

Yup - my Storm takes thighs of steel to stand the clunk, I was always worried about ripping the teeth off a few cogs...then I got better and moved to worrying about where my next beer was coming from...
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Excellent summing up there Banana ! Of the same mind myself ! :lol:
droid

Post by droid »

Sparky's right.
I've owned several Hondas, from the late 70's, and the 1 - 2 change has always been crap.
Don't worry about it.

Droid
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Add to that the fact that the bike stalls randomly every now and then and the nose dives under braking...... and what have you got????

Character!

Still love it though just for the noise and the torque.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

melis wrote: Still love it though just for the noise and the torque.
Well said mate :wink:

Chris.
mrmojo

Post by mrmojo »

sirch345 wrote:Hi Gmly,
As the others say changing up from 1st to 2nd is normally clunky, best tip I found is, to use the torque, change from 1st to 2nd as soon as possible, you don't need to rev it hard in 1st before changing to 2nd with all that torque, the lower the speed is in 1st the easier it changes into 2nd,
hope that helps,
cheers Chris.
I agree... I am doing the same with my VTR, also did the same with my '94 CB500...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mrmojo wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Hi Gmly,
hope that helps,
cheers Chris.
I agree... I am doing the same with my VTR, also did the same with my '94 CB500...
Thanks for that, its nice to know someone agrees with me :D

Chris.
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

for a really smooth change for 1st to 2nd, try this
load a little pressure on the gear lever, slide in the clutch until lever snicks up. This is really smooth and works for each change but only if riding quite smoothly
it may be clever, but its not big.