I love my Firestorm

General Biker Banter
trebs

I love my Firestorm

Post by trebs »

Yeah, I know.. Slushy and girly but it's true.
I've only owned it since Feb' but if a day goes by when I can't ride it I get grumpy.
Why the 'Storm? I wish I knew. I think it was destiny. I've always hated 4 strokes. Electric starters, no smell of oil, engine braking, no monster powerbands.. Yeah you guessed it, 2 Strokes were always my thing.
They still are to some extent as I still have my '86 NS400R.

Thing is.. family, life and other "midlife" crud got in the way and the NS was put aside in favour of the trusty family car. Until February that is :)

I just did it. I went out looking for a bike.
Imagine my horror when I realised "WHAT, no 2 strokes!" I was choked. No more blue clouds, rattle and ding, peaky powerbands, general madness.
Ok, next best thing.. CBR600RR. fun, fast, a bit mad.. fine until I sat on one and felt like I was on a moped again. Not only did I look a berk on it, but I felt like I was an extra in "honey I shunk the bike" Not for me, not anymore. I needed to compromise.. ack, I hate that word.

So.. what was sitting next to the baby 'Blade? You guessed it, the Firestorm. One owner, never been wet. chicken strips as wide as your palm. The bike had hardly been used.

It's being used now :D

Heck, this big twin stuff is great fun. Not balls-out, not elbow in the air riding position, not screaming demon. It's what biking is all about, having fun.
I find the riding position just great, I have some serious back probs and I can ride this thing for a full tank without any aches, more than can be said for driving a car, 1 hour of that and I'm in agony.

So... I didn't buy a bike to be young again, like many people. I bought a bike to enjoy riding again. Making the most of the tarmac, feeling the rush that no affordable car can give and above all, being part of a community again. The biking world is a great one.

Man, that's a lot of meaningful talk. My doctor said it was good to air it though, hope you don't mind :wink:

btw, I'm now toying with track-daying the NS.. just to keep that other side of me happy. It's an original classic though, dare I risk it? dunno yet.

Regards. Rob.
sparky750

Post by sparky750 »

Couldn't agree more rob not even had mine a week yet and i love it more eveyr day.
The voices made me do it
trebs

Post by trebs »

haha, Mine was C666.. when UK registered. Of course. I had a little screaming devil sticker on the back of my lid to match it.

Rothmans colours, the only true NS colours !

The looks are good aren't they :) especially when you're whizzing through a narrow shopping street, the head turns are like a mexican wave all have that WTF! look. Especially now, when 2-Strokes are all but extinct. No RD's or RG's to compete for that unique 2-Stroke din. Only that bloody stupid frog ringtone......
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

We've got an rd350.........

Really basic in comparison to the storm, - biscuit tyres, shoddy brakes, wobbly handling, but hey, i love whizzing it around.....

(Always come back to the storm though..)
trebs

Post by trebs »

Love it.. polluted a 4-stroke forum with 2-stroke fumes. :D

The last time I was up at Assen there was a 2-stroke meet, RD's galore. loads of 500's too.. yum yum.
Max

Post by Max »

Just to join in the fun, The most fun bike I've ever had was my RG500. If only Suzuki had made it with a gearbox that could cope. The box went bang 3 times in 2 years. At least it was easy to repair.
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

trebs wrote:Love it.. polluted a 4-stroke forum with 2-stroke fumes. :D

The last time I was up at Assen there was a 2-stroke meet, RD's galore. loads of 500's too.. yum yum.
When we got the rd350, we were also offered a 500.... i wanted that (oh yeah), but we were buying for the wife....she gave it the "i dont like the colour of it".... 350 is was... the 500 was traditional red/white the 350 is black.....
trebs

Post by trebs »

Damnit, you all got me looking at stroker stuff now.. AARGH.. 500cc bigbore kit for the NS... aarrghh.. RG500's on ebay, ARRRGHH.. Stan Stevens tuning..

/me takes another sniff of the 2-stroke oil
Max

Post by Max »

I had an X7 which I used on the road and I ran it on Castrol R30 just for the smell :) , thats really sad isn't it ?
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Ohhh Nooo..... that smell.............Hmmmmm..........(yum)
Max

Post by Max »

And the purple exhaust smoke................
trebs

Post by trebs »

Here you go, this should help those cravings.
Simply scratch and sniff the bike you want to smell. :)

stroker pron

(various from Assen = My NS of course)