VTR Suspension Set-Up

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Masu

VTR Suspension Set-Up

Post by Masu »

I've done the suspension on my VTR and a friend's VTR as well, I just went with the mods suggested by Roger, and new springs and fork oil, while my friend went with the all that plus the Gold Valves.

We have had very good results with the bikes, VERY GOOD.

In my case if you take out the expense of the fork oil (it was 20,000 Km oil and needed changing) the fork springs cost me $99.95 US, and with the tweaks that Roger passed on the bike is so much better than stock it is not funny. I shudder to think how good it would be with the Penske shock that Roger sells and the full on Gold Valves....... 8) 8)

Point is for a guy on a budget, like me this is a very cheap way to get the best out of what you have, the change is truly amazing. It would not be good enough for a top level rider at full race pace, but for a punter like me who like aggressive street riding (in the mountains way outside of Tokyo) or the trackdays that I get in every year, this set-up is very good.

Did I mention it was also cheap 8)

Anyways if you would like a look at what I have done, I put a page up, as I have had a number of people asking me about it all.

VTR Suspension Set-up

Cheers!!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
michaeln

Post by michaeln »

You might want to correct that bit about the rebound kit containing the plastic tapers. That is absolutely untrue. It contains a pair of complete Gold Valves with damping stack washers, and does not contain any plastic tapers at all.

Michael
Masu

Post by Masu »

Thanks Michael for reminding me, I was meaning to do that and forgot. The page is now updated.

How do you like your new sey-up, BTW, gold vales out front and a Fox Twin clicker in the rear, you get a chance to flog it around some twists there in California?

I'm saving up for a Penske unit myself!!

Cheers!

PS nice to see you made it to this list!!
-J. R. R. Tolkien
michaeln

Post by michaeln »

I went riding with a guy a couple days ago who has an extensively modified SuperHawk (VFR SSS, 954 forks that have been massaged by a noted local suspension tuner). He rode my bike (I didn't ride his), and when he came back he said "Man! This is the way I wish *my* bike felt!".

I'm delighted with the suspension now, with the Racetech springs, Gold Valves, Rebound Gold Valves, oil, and the Fox shock. It is very stable and predictable, never does anything to rattle my confidence. I also lowered the front 10mm and raised the rear 7mm (the Fox has a ride height adjuster that makes this easy), and the turnin is crisp without there being any tendency to headshake.

Thanks
Michael
Masu

Post by Masu »

Man that is great Michael!

Too bad Mr. Honda could not have done that at the start, they would have sold a lot more bikes eh?

I dropped my forks 5 mm, and I raised the rear 4 mm with a slip plate between the shock mount and the frame. Just an old big assed square washer that I cut a slot in one side so I could just slip it in place after loosening the top mounting bolt. Took 5 minutes.

Great feeling when you get off the bike and you think "Hey I never even thought once about the suspension while I was riding" that is because the bike handled so well you did not notice.

Cheers!
-J. R. R. Tolkien