Spongy front end.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Nogin

Spongy front end.

Post by Nogin »

Hi All, Just wondered if anyone could tell me the best way of sorting the soft forks on my 1999 Storm. Does a spring and oil change really do the trick?
Or are more serious mods. worth the extra expense?
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Nogin,

There are a few ways to sort this, depends on how much you want to spend and how you ride.

1) some olins/maxton springs and new oil will improve the front end quite alot and relativley in expensive.

2) send the forks to Revolution racing and get them sorted cost about £200 but worth it

3) fire Blade fork conversion. do a search on here, there loads of info

As I said it depends on how you ride and what your looking for, if you are into track days and fast riding then option 2 or 3 are the way to go, if your looking for just a little improvement then 1 might suffice.

Hope this helps

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Druid

Post by Druid »

I had new springs and oil in mine, and it improved things a lot. Comfortable for commuting, but still good enough when I want to hustle a bit.

I had a new rear shock at the same time, £500 fitted by MCTechnics. It's the best performance upgrade you can buy for a Firestorm
Bryn Davies

Post by Bryn Davies »

I have used Maxton Engineering a couple of times. Most recently, to rebuild my Firestorms forks. What a revelation!
As standard, no amount of fiddling works. Using Performing Berks' settings
help in some situations, but make them worse in others.
Maxton are indeed excellent, but you'll be lucky to see anything back from them now the racing has started. (I left mine with them over winter..)
Everyone else seems to use Revolution. They might be less orientated
towards the NW200 and IoM.
Either way, for 200 quid, you won't be sorry.

Has to be done!