New boiler...

General Biker Banter
MacV2

New boiler...

Post by MacV2 »

So when I moved in 10 years ago to Chatoux Del El Presidente, the boiler was already in place but looked as if it had seen better days then...hahahaha

Over the years I have had a few issues & repairs carried out...

I do know that being so old a/ it's very inefficent. b/ you can't get spare parts for it now. c/ my heating dosn't really work.

So I was looking around to get some quotes to sort it out & by chance stumbled across this...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilit ... lation#how

The important bit here is this...'' Energy Saving Trust advice service and answer a few basic questions on 0300 123 1234 (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) or 0808 808 22 82 (Scotland).''

Basicaly the powers that be want you to have a nice new energy efficent gas boiler. Any way I contacted them & it was arranged for a survey for today.

So the guy turned up this morning, asked a few questions, took a few photos, tried not to laugh at the exsiting boiler...

The upshot is I will be having a new boiler fitted next Tuesday...

It wont be free as I'm not a benefit scrounger...Instalation is free, 10 year warranty with a service plan, one of them water softner things & wi-fi gubbins on the thermostat....£4495 fitted...No deposit, £42 per month @7%...(I know, I know thats a bit high but after a year or so I'll probably pay the balance off anyway.)

Now there is a catch to this...apparently it's limited numbers...It's in the 1000's but still limited. So If you need or fancy a new boiler give 'em a ring.

It can't hurt to ask & you could save a good % on your gas bill...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Re: New boiler...

Post by VTRDark »

OMG at that price it sounds like one of those door to door salesman that take advantage of the elderly :lol: I hope you having the whole house re-plumbed and new radiators fitted too. And wi fi 8O is that so big brother can keep an eye on you and your neighbours can hack your system and steal your heating or rather give transfer the costs of theirs to yours. :roll:
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRDark wrote:OMG at that price it sounds like one of those door to door salesman that take advantage of the elderly :lol: I hope you having the whole house re-plumbed and new radiators fitted too. And wi fi 8O is that so big brother can keep an eye on you and your neighbours can hack your system and steal your heating or rather give transfer the costs of theirs to yours. :roll:
I dont use wi-fi so thats no big deal...Anyway it comes with a free silver foil hat apparently...

As for the price go & get a quote or two for a new system & then come back & tell me I've been taken advantage of... :Tongue2:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

I payed £1500 for my new boiler and ad 3 new radiators fitted at the same time it was a local plumber and got 5 years guarantee get a local plumber to give you a quote and shop a round if you can pay cash it will always be cheaper
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I have had a look through both those links...

Yep seems a bit cheaper but with the APR on thier finance a fair bit dearer + It has no mention of the extras I listed, which would probably put the price up+ the first one seems to be heavily aimed at Worcester Bosch products...

Now I was warned off that product some years ago & as they are the chosen product of Greenwich Council I've seen a fair few that have broken down... :lol: :lol:

Go to a mouse job, knock on door,introduce myself...Oh have you come to fix the boiler ?

The other fav. is the calls we get for cockroach jobs...Called in by the gas fitters who won't do the job as theres a dead cockroach in the boiler.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

While expensive in the short term get a uranium home boiler kit from B&Q for endless heating & hot showers... N Korea might be able to sort you a couple of Kg of uranium to start you off, then wrap your home in bubble wrap insulation for a zero energy off grid house.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You can get combi boilers for around £500 but they will only last a couple of years, maybe 5. If you go high end and spend £1500 -£2000 then they will last between 10 and 15 years. They don't make them like they used too. A chainsaw, a few trees, some coal and a back boiler would be better or get yourself an AGA :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRDark wrote:You can get combi boilers for around £500 but they will only last a couple of years, maybe 5. If you go high end and spend £1500 -£2000 then they will last between 10 and 15 years. They don't make them like they used too. A chainsaw, a few trees, some coal and a back boiler would be better or get yourself an AGA :lol:
All these home improvement tips from the guy who still lives at home with ma & pa... :lol:

The boiler in at the moment is well over 10 years old, the last thing I want is a cheap boiler that ain't gonna last...It's like buying a cheap R/R coz it's cheap then having to pay out again when that fails a year or two down the line...

They dont do back boilers anymore...I looked at having a wood burner put in some years ago...They wanted a grand just to sort the chimney out that was without the cost of the fire itself... I already have a chainsaw thanks...
popkat

Post by popkat »

About 12 years ago (2 houses back) I had a back boiler removed, plumbing re routed to upstairs and a (good quality) combi boiler fitted, also thermostatic valves on all radiators and they bricked up where the back boiler was.... The whole job...... £1200..

It was a mate doing it so I got the labour cheap, all the parts were £700. Took 2 of them 1 and a half days to complete the job, that included stopping to go to the Café for breakfast and not finishing too late to get down the pub :lol:

I don't know anyone who could do it where I am that well so when I next need a boiler doing I expect it to be more expensive but I would get the best solution at the best price, I would probably buy the boiler and other parts myself and get the Plumber/gas fitter in to do the fitting.. My boiler is original to the house, it's 23 years old, Maybe sooner rather than later but I'll probably wait for it to break in the middle of the coldest part of winter then moan a lot about it, cause I'm stupid like that ! but can't bring myself to fix what isn't broke :lol:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote:
I have had a look through both those links...

Yep seems a bit cheaper but with the APR on thier finance a fair bit dearer + It has no mention of the extras I listed, which would probably put the price up+ the first one seems to be heavily aimed at Worcester Bosch products...

Now I was warned off that product some years ago & as they are the chosen product of Greenwich Council I've seen a fair few that have broken down... :lol: :lol:

Go to a mouse job, knock on door,introduce myself...Oh have you come to fix the boiler ?

The other fav. is the calls we get for cockroach jobs...Called in by the gas fitters who won't do the job as theres a dead cockroach in the boiler.
Are you sure when the customer asks you "oh have you come to fix the boiler ?" it's not for a service and not necessarily a breakdown each time :?: although I agree "fix" would suggest it's broken down, but in my experience some of the council tenants are not always the sharpest tool in the box.
All the gas fitters I have asked who have serviced my combi boiler rate Worcester Bosch as the one to go for. Even doing a google search shows they're pretty much up there with the best, I wonder what "Which" magazine recommends :?: Any "Which" magazine subscribers here :?:

Whick make are you intending to be getting with this deal Mac :?: Valliant I'm guessing :)

The only thing I would suggest looking at would be the small print for your 10yr warranty, if you've not already of course. What happens if the company supplying the warranty folds in that 10yrs, are you still covered :?:

Chris.