Praticing wheelies and not binning your bike!

General Biker Banter

Have crashed trying to pull a wheelie?

Yes, Many times
13%
Yes, once and i was gutted
8%
No Never, hahaahh in your face squiffy!
79%

Total votes: 24

Squiffythewombat

Praticing wheelies and not binning your bike!

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Hi Guys,

I was just wonder if you UBER pros could answer a couple of things ive been pondering?

Im just learning to wheelie now, i can get the front up on the clutch, only maybe a foot of front wheel air maximum and for about 2 nanoseconds. I dont really want to try that much harder or higher as im SUPER scared of crashing my bike, mainly because shes still on finace and im pretty much a student but also coz i love her! Im still learning and in myself i know this which is why im taking things so slowly. I got my knee down for the first time two weeks ago...bloody great!

anyways my question to you pro riders was how did you learn to wheelie/stunt etc without binning your bikes? or do you bin your bikes on a regualr basis and just repair them? Is there some series of things to pratice for wheelies or do they "just come natraly" to the gifted?

Thanks for bearing with my dyslexic spelling :-)
Toby
:D :D
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
kevg

Post by kevg »

you should have a fourth option in the poll:

No i'm to scared and only ever wheelied by accident.
cheerz

kev
Squiffythewombat

true i used to be like that, still am to a certain extent!

i cant alter the poll now tho, lol!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Max

Post by Max »

Back in the dim and distant past I learnt to wheelie on a succesion of X7's (some of you may just remember them) I came of the back, left side and right side I even managed to go over the bars when the front sprocket fell off. I must admit however that I wouldnt fancy learning to wheelie from scratch on my storm as she comes up quite quickly some times and most of my offs have been from lack of bottle and trying to put it back down.

Max
Squiffythewombat

im a kiddie, lol, what on earth is an X7?

guessing my idea of a buggered vfr/zxr to learn my stunts on isnt such a bad idea then? (yes i will re gear it)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Max

Post by Max »

An X7 young lad was a 250cc 2 stroke bike made by Suzuki in the late 70's early 80's. it did claim to be the first 250 to do 100mph. then you could ride a 250 on L's and do your test on it.
logan7

Post by logan7 »

I need a new bike :evil: mine will not power weelie and i am a bit disappointed :twisted:
The force is strong in this one
haveyouseenmyeviltwin

Post by haveyouseenmyeviltwin »

just a quck one,im a whipper snapper too but i know the x7,had a play on one but was 2 scared to go fast and i would go for the 4th option too.i cant wheelie for sh1t but it dont half get my heart pumpin when i do!luvvin it
have you seen my evil twin?
Squiffythewombat

in fairness to powerider there, i find it really hard to power wheelie, obviously this is my total lack of abliity! can anybody enlighten me as to a good technique (preferably one that doesnt involve backflips)?
Squiffy_The_Wombat

logan7

Post by logan7 »

Will try harder but i think what is stopping me is i have lost that feeling you have at a much younger age that you are invincible :evil:
I had a kwak z250 and weelied that no prob :twisted: but now i know that if it all goes wrong its going to cost alot and hurt more.
oh to be young and dumb again :wink:
The force is strong in this one
Squiffythewombat

kaz do you mean from a standstill or a rolling start as ive tried that and the only way i get it to come up is with a pillion (and then it really comes high)

Logan its the cost and hurt that gripes me too!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Galaxieman

Post by Galaxieman »

Wheelie Directions: (15 tooth Front sprocket, may need to increase revs slightly)

From stop, roll out until clutch is fully disengaged.
With low throttle opening, roll until you hit 3k rpms.
Crack throttle about 1/2-2/3 open
Curse yourself that you haven't got any balls and didn't crack it hard enough
Still in 1st, roll back down to 3k, crack throttle again.

It will lift, and with a bit of practice, you'll learn to stay in it until the front floats easier (begins to come up quicker). First couple of times you'll probably let out too fast. I weigh almost 15 stones and even if I'm all the way to the front of the seat, she'll still loft quick. I can't do 2nd gear wheelies while standing on the pegs, since my left knee is still b*ggered from my tankslapper last July (front end bump while turning, not wheelie related). Took me quite a while to get back enough balls to loft the front again after getting back on the bike, but I'm getting used to it now. With the wife on the back, it's all I can do to keep the front end down...

God I love this bike!!

-Jim
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Galaxieman said
With the wife on the back, it's all I can do to keep the front end down...
:twisted: He Hee! :twisted:
Good isn't it :D
But .... do you find a good wheelie is shortley followed by a whacking pain in the kidneys?

Pete.l
Max

Post by Max »

But .... do you find a good wheelie is shortley followed by a whacking pain in the kidneys?
You say that a mate of mine took his missus out on his brothers bike Z6R I think it was and pulled a monster wheelie pulling away and then nailed it up to about 135. When he got home he took his helmet off and she hit him on the head with hers full swing and cracked his skull, put him in Hospital.

They are now divorced (she caught him playing with someone not herself)
Max

Post by Max »

Another mate and me were drinking on the front step when they came back. We were pissing ourselves even when he was carted of to hospital. we all laugh about it still and it was about 10 years ago