And so it begins !!!!

General Bike chat
BrianC

And so it begins !!!!

Post by BrianC »

Some of you will know that i got storm 1 up and running lately after a huge amount of work, so now its the turn of storm 2!!!!!

Started at the rear end and removed the cans which are non standard, but no makers names, but boy they are light!!!!
Hugger removed
Sprocket cover removed
Rear wheel out
Pillion footpegs removed

First real job is to check out the rear suspension link. - it looks very crusty so im planning a full refurb
Then:

Replace rear subframe
Fit replacement rear shock
Do wiring mod to regultor
Remove all exhaust system and refurb
Remove and replace front head. - has had a valve drop
Check manual tentioners - previous owner fitted them AFTER he had head problem !!!!
Check starter
Full fluid service
Fit replacement rear fairing
Refurb lower front fork stantions
Fit replacement front mudguard

And im sure loads of other things !!!!!

Keep you posted

Brian
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: And so it begins !!!!

Post by sirch345 »

That lot should keep you going until lunch time Brian :wink: :lol:

Good to see you back with the second project Storm :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

On another slippery slope. look forward to seeing pics. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

best get cracking Brian, you've got your hands full fella.
forks are surprisingly easy to prep and paint. i've done many sets now, i just did a friends and they look like new, if you need any pointers, just ask matey.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the positives fellas

Im up for this challenge - day offtoday for football but full day tomorrow !!!
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Brian, Keep us updated , and good luck with the project. :thumbup: Cheers Chris
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Yo there from St. Helens .. keep up the enterprise.. :thumbup: :wave:
Alb
vardypeeps

Post by vardypeeps »

Good luck with all those jobs!
Look forward to seeing it finished :D
Rob
BrianC

Re: And so it begins !!!!Forget the previous post I ballsed up the pictures !!!!

Post by BrianC »

Well it was full speed ahead today!!!!

Having removed the rear wheel the other day I cracked on.

First job was remove main fairing - an easy job I hear you say!!!! Not when some numpty has put an allen head set screw in on of the fairing holes and its chewed up. Had to be drilled out

So with the fairing off it was try and remove exhaust pipes - as per usual the nuts were corroded on hard and rather than snap a stud I dremmeled off the fromt ones, my cutting a grove so as not to damage threads then split with a small chisel - sounds easy but no - from are quite easy to get to.

Rears not as easy. So as I was going to strip all back end down anyway I started to remove all the various bolts etc. Managed to get swinging arm and suspension unit out reasonably easily, then got the two exhaust nuts off with a bit of a struggle. Slight problem with the main pipe as it has a small split where the rear down pipe fits in, but that can be fixed.

Rear shock looks goosed but I have a spare which has a purple spring and looks in good nick - any ideas on its make???? I'll post a picture tomorrow if it helps

The dismantled all the rear suspension linkage.

And there it begins !!!!!
The triangular bit (whatever its called). One of the bearings was fine, the other was knackerd!!! And because of the corrosion on that bearing the sleeve is also scrap - see below!!!

Moving to the dog bone. The long sleeve and bearings - no problem at all. BUT the short end of the dog bone - THE NIGHTMARE WE ARE HOPEFULLY ALL AWARE OF !!!!!

The bearing has completely rusted away, the sleeve is horribly corroded and as a result the dogbone casting has cracked!!!!! A disaster waiting to happen. (SEE BELOW)

Not sure if we can get this warning bumped up the forum some way!!! Im sure there are other Storm owners riding round in ignorance and on deathtraps. Storm 1 was bad but not this bad.

I need to check my stock tomorrow as I think I may have a spare dogbone and I think I also refurbished another triangle bit.

Rest of day was spent just cleaning everything up,

oh and yes I forgot.

Had to drop coolant as the flange holding the exhaust pipe seems to be corroded to the pipe and would not move, so some heat was needed, which meant removing the cross hose - which is scrap along with the jubuliee clips - more work!!!.

Speaking of heat - got one of them space heaters from Aldi - top job!!!

Think thats it for now - another full day on it tomorrow
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looks like you caught that just in time....... :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
iirc Jamie had his go a few year back, luckily it was at very slow speed. seems like the bike is just about saveable, left much longer the whole bike would have been more or less scrap, seems to be in good hands now tho.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I only paid £600 for it and it had just had £600 spent on it before it had a cct failure on the front. So that's another job later.

It really is too good to scrap so im on it !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: And so it begins !!!!Forget the previous post I ballsed up the pictures !!!!

Post by sirch345 »

BrianC wrote:

Not sure if we can get this warning bumped up the forum some way!!! Im sure there are other Storm owners riding round in ignorance and on deathtraps. Storm 1 was bad but not this bad.
Good on you Brian for thinking about others regarding the split linkage, there is however a thread in the "Workshop knowledgebase" pointing this out, take a look here:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=11809
When you see a linkage split like yours has, it certainly hammers home how important it is to keep on top of servicing the swingarm and linkage bearings so you avoid this :!:

You're making good headway there Brian, well done. Great to think there is another one being saved rather than it broken for spares :D

Great photo's :thumbup:

Keep up the good work,

Chris.

PS. I hope you don't mind Brian :?: but I have added your photo to the above link.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

So after the fun of ripping the storm apart yesterday, today has been a bit mundame and made upo of lots of cleaning and fettlimg

Who would have though the pillion footrest could seize up???? Both of them!!!

So I set about ordering a few parts including a good used dig bone for the suspension to replace the one i pictured yesterday - hopefully its OK.

I also ordered the sleeve/collar, bearings and seals for the triangular bit - only to find out I already had them in stock!!!! Still it allowed me to get on and fit them to a previously refurbished/pained item. Notice the grease nipple !!!

then i fitted it to the cleaned up swinging arm

Now I have a dilema.

The shock on this one is pretty much shot but I seem to have acquired a replacement sometime - the one with the purple spring. Its also a Showa but is a MBB-731. Whilstits the same overall length the spring looks shorter??? Anyone advise me on this???

And just as a parting comment - this is what it looks like when those bearings get neglected!!!!!!

Yes those are needles and the remains of needles!!!

Also found out that the rear caliper is knackred as well - think I have one in stock, plust starter motor nut looks a little crusty.

Looks like a blank day tomorrow waiting for dogbone, then its rebuild rear end and move to that broken front head!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

some work going on :clap: . jesus that rear end was scary looking.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

your other shock is a std showa with a softer spring fitted..... that will be better than the other one because the spring will work
AMcQ