Colour scheme suggestions please.

General Bike chat
freeridenick

Colour scheme suggestions please.

Post by freeridenick »

White is a bit plain and I'm crap at this sort of thing - you should see how I painted my house. I'm constantly surprised about which colours apparently don't go together 8O.

This is what it looks like now and it'll have a belly pan (currently blue) before too long. Prefer something simple because I'll be painting it myself.

AMCQ46

Re: Colour scheme suggestions please.

Post by AMCQ46 »

for a track bike keep it basic......... infact I would leave it as it is so I didn't have to worry about wasting my work when I dropped it.......

I think I only ever painted my race bike AFTER I crashed it, and even then I didn't bother to smooth out any scratches, I just put fresh paint over the damage.

but you might not be a lazy bastid like me.
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Well Red of couse...Mainly as it will save having to paint the tank...The belly pan do black...

Get some vinyl decals for number boards front & rear...Possibly some black vinyl Wings on the fairing like the Joey Dunlop VTR...Just to brake it up...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I am lazy Al, hence the request for advice so I don't have to think about it myself, :lol:, but I take your point. White gel coat just seems a bit unfinished.

Red was on the list Mac and I think I've read somewhere that it's the fastest colour. I hadn't thought of a Joey-type paint scheme.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If your not fussed too much about it being perfect then I would go black, mask where you would want the number boards then when painted remove the masked off area and you have your number boards and just add numbers. You could jazz the paint up with pretty much any colour stickers after that as any colour goes with black.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

as others have said with the tank already being red id go down the joey ish look.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
podman

Post by podman »

Race bike you say?

Im a sucker for the old race schemes, particular the fag packet manufacturers but an HRC inspired scheme is hard to beat.

[url]Image

..or the older again AMA

[url]Image

Either would look great on a storm IMHO..Yes, I appreciate im getting carried away , stick with a solid red..

Honda Britain style.

[url]Image
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Given the red tank I'm starting to think of something along those lines.

Rather than black and red what about white and red but reversed so using mostly white with red highlights? I'm thinking matt black belly pan and number boards with white numbers too.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

VTR Phoenix wrote:If your not fussed too much about it being perfect then I would go black, mask where you would want the number boards then when painted remove the masked off area and you have your number boards and just add numbers. You could jazz the paint up with pretty much any colour stickers after that as any colour goes with black.
+1
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

Leave it as-is and say it's from the netherlands!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

:clap: :clap:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I was mulling all these over and came across an article in Practical Sportsbikes about the VFR 800. This came in 50th anniversary colours of silver and red based on the '60s racer colours.

Given I've already got a red tank I'm thinking of something along those lines - red tank and seat with silver fairing. Not sure about the front mudguard and the belly pan. I might leave those blue (they match) or go for black.

I'm going to try and bribe one of the designers at work to come up with a mock up for me that will link it all together somehow. The '60s race looks ace; the VFR not so much.