Guess what...

General Biker Banter
RedStormJ

Guess what...

Post by RedStormJ »

My smile is that of pure evil. I want to ram that driver right up someones back ally. as I just asked if the bike was really okay...... Its not...

Guess as to what it is. Lets just say I had asked for this to be fixed before by the dealer and he said it was okay and the last bit is I went to another dealer to ask about it and they said it was okay. that was yesterday.... Bet first guess is right! :beer: :beer: :twisted:

I am on a strick beer diet today.... It was halloween at the school after this horrible thing happened...
Kev L

Re: Guess what...

Post by Kev L »

Wouldn't have chain, tensioner & cam in the sentence would it? Along with 'oh feck' and 'should have fitted manuals!!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Im gonna ram this screwdriver right in the liars head! Forgive me I am for sure drunk. I tore my whole bike down in an hour after leaving it in the rain all day on the highway...
I just asked if it seemed like the cct was going yesterday..... I was assured many times it wasnt. I thought well its my first bike... engine is an engine I know engines. Anyone who ever reads and laughs at this just replace the thing....
Im posting up in carls forum now asking if I should try to re time it and fit a manual cct in. I need my bike for work and it happened at low speed. no clunks. I am praying a re time and compression test will make me smile.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ah well theres your problem...Judging from the second picture...Your engine is in upside down...or did you take the pic standing on your head ?

Just how drunk are you exactly...?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That was my thought when I saw the pic in the other thread. :lol: It's not a job to do while drunk. :beer: Lets hope you got lucky and haven't bent any valves. How much have the cams slipped. Check the front valve clearances for excess which will give a clue to if valves are bent.
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Sorry to hear this, another one eh. Having had manuals for the last 3 years without any adjustment needed in that time period, imho they are definitely the way to go.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

My bike had less than 5000 miles when I bought it.Went to Assen in 2014 for Moto gp and it was trouble free both ways.I was persuaded by this forum to change them,and after reading the horror stories about auto's I'm glad I did.Everyone should heed the warning.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Well I sobered up had a bad hangover as soon as it wore off I realized the valves were bent as four valves cant be open at the same time... Pilled the head and sure enough toast..... Im gonna pressure the guy that sold it to throw in some valves. I already manualized the cct. Broken spring. Dunno if thats what fails but I bet it is. I cut a screw off to length and jammed it in there. I am going to do it proper as soon as I head to the machine shop.... Not happy. The beer is keeping me from driving down and whoopin some ....

Ill have my wife take the head down tomorrow. Id have it ported and the valves out already but I really think my bike shop owes me an apology in the form of some valves and a good recommendation on the best machine shop.

Good news is I am doing the ports asap and I may mayyy just get the titanium exehaust for it.

And Mac I was so drunk I forgot to zip my pants and when I remembered it took me half an hour to zip em.... But I do here by decree that not one bolt got stripped and nothing got dropped. :mrgreen:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Ouch! Welcome to the elite VTR imploding auto CCT club!! http://www.primaryclub.org/join/ Should have shoe-horned in the RC51 engine with the gear cams the first week you had the storm...

Did the dealer sell it with a warranty. How long have you had the bike - one month or two?

Also did you read Carl's introductory summary for new owners of Storms > The Welcome Inn > *** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638
The VTR is a very reliable bike with very few issues. The two biggest concerns if not already dealt with are the Cam Chain Tensioners (CCT's) and the Regulator Rectifier (R/R) which should take priority in maintenance/upgrades.
Might be an idea before you ride it again and begin blinging it with abandon - After fitting manual CCTs / stopper modding look at upgrading Reg/Rect, servicing shock linkages and looking at the starter motor terminal and general servicing before any of them impinge on the Storms mainly inate reliability Esp as you say you use it day to-day for commuting.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

A few stormers warned me personally that is why I am out for this dealers support because he advised me not to. The part is only 65 us from honda.... I looked good and hard at the frame today. VTR engines are 300 usd and an sp2 is 150.... I have the 1000rr swinger with chain rim exct.... Its real tempting to put the sp2 bits in the frame put on the sponsons for the swinger mount and have a rocket ship...

I just may. Well see what this dealer says. I may end up in jail if he says no. Two months and she lives inside properly cared for ever single day. Got my phone but I am too lazy. Valves are peened over and I am looking for a set. cant find any for under 65usd each. I could buy a head for that...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

At the end of the day dealers are out to make money so it's not in their benefit to recommend changing them. The same as Honda. If the guides are OK then it's a simple fix...no biggie, but it will cost you some valves and a new head gasket. Have a word with Bazza I'm sure he can ship some out to you and it would still work out cheaper than buying even some of the Chinese manual tensioners.

Please don't drink while doing the job. Save that for afterwards to celebrate it running again. :beer: wombles ell that's bad a barman recommending not to drink....he says after a couple of pints :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Well I got lucky just around 50 of your pounds 70 us or 7000 of the japanese money. for valves. I am going to risk the gasket as I have never had a metal ply gasket break and I plan on having the motor out real soon. Doing diy cct's. Dealer said parts or labor couldnt have both. Blatantly lied and said that he didnt know about it. I told him if he sells a vtr or a 1100xx with standard tensioners in it we would be having some real problems. As an ex dealer I cant watch someone else get what I had. I chose to pay for the valves and use his tools to do it my self. I cant find a machine shop in the prefecture so I am going to lap em in my self.... Never done it but I have watched a great builder do it many times so I am sure to get it right. going to do a mild port job tomorrow. leaving the rear head on. Ill just keep the valves shut and clean em good when I am done. Im basically just going to knock the bad spots out clean up the exhaust throw her back together and see how she runs. I am also going to do the crab mod. Fill one hole and do the shims.

As a not I am looking into fitting makuni slide carbs. I am a big fan as my race sled had them. Heck if I had the sled here in japan I would try them.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Why would you port only one head?

I assume that the front one failed, so pulling the rear one is the work of minutes. Six big bolts and two small ones.

Think of it this way; if it was an IL4 head you would port all four the same. If you can buy an SP2 engine that cheaply, have a look at the exhaust port profiles for a few clues....

I wouldn't recommend re-using the head gaskets, but you know best.
It's tempting to use a smear of silicon, and re-use the gaskets, but you run the risk of closing off a coolant gallery, which will cause more problems.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

When building GSX engines with Metal head gaskets if I'm going to re use* them I spray a thin coat of heat resistant paint on both sides of the gasket, it forms a nice seal and cures with heat.

*I will only re use once and then replace. The standard gasket does have a fine coating when new.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Either I am not drunk enough or your arent. You think I would only do one head????? :beer:

I decided in the name of time to do a mild port. I am leaving the rear on because im afraid of my skills timing the engine. marks are different than any guides. I have an F and an RT then just a line. The just line is tdc for the front. I can still touch the ports a bit with the head on. MY tools are on a ship right now heading to me from the states so no die grinder. just going to sand the castings down a bit.

I am on a shoe string as I just paid off the bike got my swinger with rim and tire and I am in the middle of my monocoque tail while this happened.