What engine oil does everyone use

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bigtwinthing

Re: What engine oil does everyone use

Post by bigtwinthing »

Demonic69 wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:
Demonic69 wrote:The Mrs used to work for a large oil company. They guys in the lab said that bike oil was exactly the same as the equivalent car oil, just badged up and sold in smaller bottles for more profit.

it aint! i bought over the years probably 100,000 its of oil for work etc, I've always asked the manufacturers what bike garages use. They say its different due to the higher revs in a bike. Yep its a bit dearer but i think its worth it personally. Pre 90 i used mineral, since then semi. etc.
I think I'll listen to the guys whose job it is to make it, rather than sell it [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

they do make it, and if i buy that much i don't thing they would risk giving me elbow info do you. however you can buy what you want at the end of the day. :|
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Car engine oil has anti friction properties that would just cause a motorbike clutch to slip and require replacement.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

Non friction modified diesel oils for the last 14 years.

Used it in a variety of bikes that I have owned as well as bikes that I service for friends.

Try it, it's good.

That should start some rumblings.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
redpig

Post by redpig »

Australian tractors?
ook
Watty

Post by Watty »

VTR Phoenix wrote:Car engine oil has anti friction properties that would just cause a motorbike clutch to slip and require replacement.
Rubbish!! I have a friend who has only ever ran his bikes on car oil! I'm talking a lot of bikes over the last 30 years of all makes/models/ages, never had clutch/engine/gearbox issues! ! Go figure!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

Watty wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:Car engine oil has anti friction properties that would just cause a motorbike clutch to slip and require replacement.
Rubbish!! I have a friend who has only ever ran his bikes on car oil! I'm talking a lot of bikes over the last 30 years of all makes/models/ages, never had clutch/engine/gearbox issues! ! Go figure!
But the bottle/garage/salesman says so! ;-)

VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If you do your research you will see that engine oils not meant for motorcycles will have anti friction additives in them to reduce wear and tare on the engine. You put these in your motorcycle and yes you will have a nicely lubricated engine but also a nicely lubricated clutch pack. With these extra anti friction additives working there way onto your clutch friction plates and therefor reduces the friction across the plates and leads to clutch slip. Left too long and the friction plates cant be cleaned and reused and a new set of plates will be required.

It states that oils should be JSA JSA1 JSA2 etc for it to be compatible with the clutch. If you find a non bike specific oil that conforms to these then it should be fine to use in the bike but as stated ones with anti friction additives are no good for the friction plates.
Watty

Post by Watty »

VTR Phoenix wrote:If you do your research you will see that engine oils not meant for motorcycles will have anti friction additives in them to reduce wear and tare on the engine. You put these in your motorcycle and yes you will have a nicely lubricated engine but also a nicely lubricated clutch pack. With these extra anti friction additives working there way onto your clutch friction plates and therefor reduces the friction across the plates and leads to clutch slip. Left too long and the friction plates cant be cleaned and reused and a new set of plates will be required.

It states that oils should be JSA JSA1 JSA2 etc for it to be compatible with the clutch. If you find a non bike specific oil that conforms to these then it should be fine to use in the bike but as stated ones with anti friction additives are no good for the friction plates.
Did you read my post above!?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I did but oils have changed over 30 years and now there are additives in oils that there weren't 30/20 and even 2 years ago. Oils are being tested and "improved" all the time for the purpose they are designed for. If oils are not designed for wet clutches then there will be additives in them that will not help a wet clutch.
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

I reckon only special oils have the additives you're worried about, magnatec etc. Standard engine oil is probably the same across the board. The stuff made by the company our lass worked for was rebranded by several other companies and it all came from the same vat

VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I'm not saying all engine oils have the additives but ones that state anti friction additives are in their oils. I don't know what makes or brands for definite but there are more than one brand that do have these additives. I'm sure even the halfords own car oil has them as I have looked at that before for the work bike as it was cheaper than the halfords own motorcycle oil. I sure it stated it had the additives hence why I went for the motorcycle oil in the end
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

There are many car or truck oils which can be used in bikes without getting clutch slip. Difference is that good motorcycle oils have stay in grade properties, so oil don't loose so much viscosity. Car oils don't handle load from gearbox - pressure between gearbox wheels.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i think if the oil was the same Trading standards would be involved. Ok maybe not a lot but is it with the possible hassle? If motorbike oil is a bit dearer so be it. They aint too good on fuel are they lets be honest. But proper oil its as simple as that to me. If you want to save some money to fund ya bike, stop smoking ( it aint good for you anyway and ya breath stings) or cut down on drinking a bit. :D
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Even the bike specific halfords oil gives my bike clutch slip and it will be ok when I go back to castrol. Both 10w/40 and both semi synthetic,so although I don't have any lab reports to go by, I can tell the difference :Beer Popcorn:
AMcQ
Watty

Post by Watty »

bigtwinthing wrote:i think if the oil was the same Trading standards would be involved. Ok maybe not a lot but is it with the possible hassle? If motorbike oil is a bit dearer so be it. They aint too good on fuel are they lets be honest. But proper oil its as simple as that to me. If you want to save some money to fund ya bike, stop smoking ( it aint good for you anyway and ya breath stings) or cut down on drinking a bit. :D
I don't smoke and rarely drink :lol: oh and the Viffer does 50+ mpg so ain't bad on fuel :D ! But I do actually use bike specific oil :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!