Intercoms.

General Biker Banter
bigtwinthing

Intercoms.

Post by bigtwinthing »

Right i am expecting some smart butt comments here!!!. Does anybody have a decent review on an intercom with their pillion that they have tried please?

I will need one for France and Cornwall later next month.
Also i have replaced my baffles and i am enjoyed a more relaxed quiet ride lately. :lol: . The CBF seems to be a slight "stealth" bike surprising a few other bikes away from the lights, as its a tad heavy you can certainly gun it away from the lights and keep it on the ground etc, It is quite quick up to the Ton. However having a pillion it does loft the front on quick get aways, the intercom is to hear he screaming :lol: she actually squeezes me with her thighs, but thats always nice :lol: .

Oh and white bikes seem to clear traffic very well.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
TravisZack

Re: Intercoms.

Post by TravisZack »

Are you handy with wiring? I've just upgraded to a bluetooth system and have a Starcom wired intercom system available. The headset wiring for the rider could do with being fixed (or replaced) as my last repair job hasn't really worked. Because of the forward riding position and where the wire comes out the helmet, it creates a tight angle that has damaged the wiring, so one speaker comes and goes which is quite irritating. It was never a problem on my more upright Bandit though so should be good on the CB once fixed.
Anyway I wouldn't want much for it if you want to give it a go at least, one huge advantage of the wired ones is no battery issues, just plug in and go whenever. It's a basic unit without many bells and whistles, you can adjust the volume, balance between front and rear and individual VOX activation points. Made a world of difference to all of our trips being able to clearly talk to each other.

The Bluetooth ones we've just got (a pair of Intercom F5 MC's) are really good. Great audio quality and they're loud enough with earplugs in if you have the speakers in the right place. Wind speed makes a difference obviously but up to about 80mph without a head wind you shouldn't have any real problems, might just have to speak up. You can listen to the radio, music (via phone or aux cable), make and receive phone calls if you choose, and still clearly talk to each other when off the bike, which causes some funny looks when you're not stood next to eachother. They're easy enough to use, a nice lady reminds you what all the buttons do if you don't choose an option quick enough when going through the menus. Battery life seems to have been ok, they lasted about 7-8 hours in practice, so two decent days if you're not putting in long rides. The newer model is coming out very soon which means you can get the 'old' top of the range one for around £200 for the pair. Although the place I bought them from has increased the price for some reason.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

It's a shame your not coming to the Devon run, I have just bought a Sena 10U to fit my Schuberth C3 Pro. Wont be using it yet for communication with the other half, radio, music and phone.

On the Wales trip, me and Ady will link up and try the rider to rider facility as he will be buying one for his Air-GT.

It's all charged and ready to be fitted in the C3 tonight.

Imagephoto hosting sites
Gavin

Post by Gavin »

I have been having interference issues with my wired autocom when it works it is brilliant, taken it to several people who have not been able to sort it.

I have now bought the autocom air bluetooth, it works very well between me and the wife, I tried to pair my Zumo 550 satnav to it but would only recognise the autocom as a phone not a headset, I then found online that there is a problem with the garmin sumo 550, but as it is no longer supported, it cannot be fixed.

I chose the air as i did not want a chunk of plastic struck on side of helmet, i had one once and kept getting caught on shoulder, the air is very slimline and on my wife Arai you cannot see it the only visible part is a flat 3 touch buttons on side of helmet - very neat.

Mate has Sena S 20 which he swears by.

Cheers

Gavin
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just to throw another one into the mix.
I'm using the Scala Q1 it's the cheapest of the Cardo range and the newer ones have "pack" capability so you can link a whole load of bikes over a couple of kilometers.
Mine links via bluetooth to both my sat nav and my phone and also has the capability for a second phone as well. The intercom is only good for about thirty meters.(So if it goes quiet, she's fell off) I play my Itunes from my phone or I can use the built in radio for true stereo. Sound quality is pretty good and a few people haven't realised I was actually using the hands free and riding at the same time. Just like the others it too is good up to about 80mph and is loud enough to use with earplugs for longer trips. Also the volume increases automatically with speed so you don't have to keep playing with it.
I've also drowned it more than several times over the winter and so far the wet hasn't been an issue.

http://cardosystems.com/portfolio-types/motorcycles/

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
redpig

Post by redpig »

I've got the interphone f3
Not the latest version but reasonable price and with decent comms.
Connects with all other makes.
ook
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Pete.L wrote:Just to throw another one into the mix.
I'm using the Scala Q1 it's the cheapest of the Cardo range and the newer ones have "pack" capability so you can link a whole load of bikes over a couple of kilometers.
Mine links via bluetooth to both my sat nav and my phone and also has the capability for a second phone as well. The intercom is only good for about thirty meters.(So if it goes quiet, she's fell off) I play my Itunes from my phone or I can use the built in radio for true stereo. Sound quality is pretty good and a few people haven't realised I was actually using the hands free and riding at the same time. Just like the others it too is good up to about 80mph and is loud enough to use with earplugs for longer trips. Also the volume increases automatically with speed so you don't have to keep playing with it.
I've also drowned it more than several times over the winter and so far the wet hasn't been an issue.

http://cardosystems.com/portfolio-types/motorcycles/

Pete.l
I started looking at the scala Q3, but I was concerned about possible wind noise from having it sticking out the side if the lid.

Also on my lid there were reviews saying that the clamp was no good with the C3, because of the slider for sun visor, so you had to use the sticky pads. But people had commented on it not sticking great, so use another 3M product, but this meant that you wouldn't be able to take it off with destroying the lid.

So Ady mentioned sena, done some research and was better than cardio's SRC system for schuberth, and £100 cheaper.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

bazza696 wrote:Also on my lid there were reviews saying that the clamp was no good with the C3, because of the slider for sun visor
Good thinking. The clamp is fine with my lid so I had forgot to mention that. It would also be worth checking how the other makes attach themselves just incase of interference. My lid also has removable cheek pads which makes installation very easy too.
I don't really notice the wind noise but there is a small difference especially if the wind is a bit side on.
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

bazza696 wrote:
So Ady mentioned sena, done some research and was better than cardio's SRC system for schuberth, and £100 cheaper.
I think you mis heard........ Ady was talking about TENA :lol:

I have been using the Scala Q2 for about 4yrs and just upgraded to the new version to get Bluetooth stereo music player.

works great up to just above 80 for rider to passenger [even with earplugs].

no noticeable wind noise difference and the new one has better mounting plate shape that work better than old one, and I only occasionaly feel it catching on my shoulder when I do a lifesaver since I got a new leather jacket [with Ti shoulder sliders], never had any problems with my old leather or the textiles
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Personaly I can't see the point of wanting to talk to a pillion whilst riding even if I did take one...

Phone ? I'm on me bike why would I want to answer the bloody phone...thats what voicemail is for !

Paul ther is a cheaper option you could go for...

:wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Mac you Tit! :lol:

i really want it for France to be honest. Were going to look at the weekend. i am gutted about devon, but i do need this Course etc and i don't want to make till next year ( Bonus effected etc). With you in Spirit though guys, i hope the weathers good as i will be in Kent on the bike to do the course.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

all fitted, need to wait for the devon trip to try out the radio and satnav.
redpig

Post by redpig »

Anyway I use the interphone f3 for blood bikes.
we have to be connected for calls and satnav
and up until now it has worked a treat.
About 70 notes from getgeared
ook
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Thanks Guys :thumbup: