Top Tips

General Bike chat
kev64

Top Tips

Post by kev64 »

Anyone got any Top tips, anything Bike/storm related ?
I know this will get abused to hell but who cares

I lost one of my tank/frame rubber spacers the other day,
found it eventually and applied double sided tape to the inside
lip and now its stuck good !!
:thumbup:
MacV2

Re: Top Tips

Post by MacV2 »

1/ Use some grease on the wheel spacers to help keep them in place when re fitting your wheels.

2/ Never hit a bomb with a hammer.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

1) put a dab of silicon sealer on the top hat spacers at the front of the tank, stops them falling out as you carry the tank to that safe place where you wont drop anything on it!

2) always fill your bike up when it is being held vertical, filling up on the sidestand doesn't get enough in.

3) set the trip meter everytime you fill up and when you get to 90miles start looking out for a petrol station.

4) use the killswitch to get a great backfire when you ride past cyclists and people walking their dogs, they love it.

5) put a thin wipe of grease on one side of a new gasket before you fit it and it will always come off without ripping

6) try and make sure your tank is close to empty before doing any work that involves removing it.
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

AMCQ46 wrote:
4) use the killswitch to get a great backfire when you ride past cyclists and people walking their dogs, they love it.
Haha, I can attest to that. Dogs and cyclists do in fact love it. They love it most when it's totally unexpected, close range and deafening. I've seen cyclists wave 'more, more' and dogs jump up and pull their owners to the ground.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

dollop of grease under the rubber boot on the starter motor.
also the rubber screen nuts can be used to secures several fixings on the rear fairing
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

AMCQ46 wrote:1) put a dab of silicon sealer on the top hat spacers at the front of the tank, stops them falling out as you carry the tank to that safe place where you wont drop anything on it!

2) always fill your bike up when it is being held vertical, filling up on the sidestand doesn't get enough in.

3) set the trip meter everytime you fill up and when you get to 90miles start looking out for a petrol station.

5) put a thin wipe of grease on one side of a new gasket before you fit it and it will always come off without ripping

6) try and make sure your tank is close to empty before doing any work that involves removing it.

number 3
always do this or you get half a tank, but went in my local petrol station the other day and the girl inside shouted out the tannoy "get off your bike" when I didn`t she said "get off your bike for health and safety"
I got my helmet back on and went to a different garage.
h & s gone mad
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

1, cut all your overflow pipes at an angle to stop them filling up with road crap.

2, fit a magnetic sump plug.

3, never txt while riding :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

fabiostar wrote:1, cut all your overflow pipes at an angle to stop them filling up with road crap.

You'll be alright on a yellow one mate, plenty of time to text travelling at that speed! :wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Re getting off your bike to fill up,
I had a chap in the local Tesco's come out to tell me that this is now going to be mandatory, agreed it bolloxs but apparently its getting run out everywhere. Still let me fill up sat on bike whilst telling me this :D
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Kev L wrote:
fabiostar wrote:1, cut all your overflow pipes at an angle to stop them filling up with road crap.

You'll be alright on a yellow one mate, plenty of time to text travelling at that speed! :wave:
ya blue whore :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

grumpyfrog wrote:Re getting off your bike to fill up,
I had a chap in the local Tesco's come out to tell me that this is now going to be mandatory, agreed it bolloxs but apparently its getting run out everywhere. Still let me fill up sat on bike whilst telling me this :D
I had the same. But I didn't handle the situation too well and told the spotty little oik of a shop manager what I thought of his stupidity :oops:
Needles to say, there's another petrol station I can't go to :oops: :cry:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Why not just put your bodyweight up against the bike to hold it up a bit while filling up. Obviously not totally upright as it may topple over but surly one can workout where the tipping point is without dropping the bike. Or put one hand on the bar and the other on the pump. This is going to become common practise in fuel stations now because of the increase of folk filling up and doing a runner. It's always the innocent that have to suffer the consequences.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Fek 'em bloody jobs worths.

Pay at pump where I can saves having to go in to pay & queing up behind the twots doing a weekly bloody shop in a petrol station...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

weekly bloody shop in a petrol station...
I hate that, it really winds me up. It's like standing behind someone doing the lottery. They should have separate tills for these. Put some more people in employment too.

Suppose I better add some tips.

Use the rear wheel spindle to knock out the swingarm spindle. They are both the same diameter but one is longer than the other.

Always loosen tight nuts and bolts before jacking the bike up, especially swingarm linkages and top suspension nut.

Loosen front sprocket nut before loosening chain.

Loosen choke cable at the frame and feed it through when removing carbs rather than undo the plastic nuts on the carb end.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Dont fall off...it hurts.