Difficult to start when engine hot

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtrjim86

Difficult to start when engine hot

Post by vtrjim86 »

Used the bike the other day and it started from cold no problem. Rode around for 30 minutes or so and gave the engine 'some use' shall we say. Stopped briefly and then restarted and it was fairly difficult to start, almost like the battery was flat. Eventually turned over and rode on again. Stopped around 30 minutes later and it was very slow to start again, almost like the first turn was on a flat battery and then after that it started fine.

Battery is on trickle charge when not in use and maintains 12.8 ish volts (checked with a multi meter). When running the battery is getting around 14.4v, so alternator is doing it's job.

Thought it could be the starter motor connector (which is fairly heavily corroded) but when i went to start from cold yesterday it fired up no problem at all. The only concern i now have is that the dreaded CCTs are rearing their ugly head as it almost felt like the engine was too tight initially and then when the battery got everything moving it was fine. CCTs were changed around 4 years ago for genuine Honda parts (no stopper mod or manual CCTs), has anyone else had this issue before? Could a CCT become stuck 'out' when hot?

Cheers.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Difficult to start when engine hot

Post by sirch345 »

vtrjim86 wrote:Used the bike the other day and it started from cold no problem. Rode around for 30 minutes or so and gave the engine 'some use' shall we say. Stopped briefly and then restarted and it was fairly difficult to start, almost like the battery was flat. Eventually turned over and rode on again. Stopped around 30 minutes later and it was very slow to start again, almost like the first turn was on a flat battery and then after that it started fine.

Battery is on trickle charge when not in use and maintains 12.8 ish volts (checked with a multi meter). When running the battery is getting around 14.4v, so alternator is doing it's job.

Thought it could be the starter motor connector (which is fairly heavily corroded) but when i went to start from cold yesterday it fired up no problem at all. The only concern i now have is that the dreaded CCTs are rearing their ugly head as it almost felt like the engine was too tight initially and then when the battery got everything moving it was fine. CCTs were changed around 4 years ago for genuine Honda parts (no stopper mod or manual CCTs), has anyone else had this issue before? Could a CCT become stuck 'out' when hot?

Cheers.
I would rectify the starter motor connector first seeing as it corroded, just make sure you don't spin the bolt when trying to remove it. If the bolt does spin, the insulator inside the starter motor may get damaged.

I had a similar problem as yours with my bike (not so easy to start when hot). It turned out to be the starter motor, although I thought it was the battery at first. I gave the starter motor a service now it's okay,

Chris.
vtrjim86

Post by vtrjim86 »

The bolt looks to have been messed with in the past as it has been rounded off, i will keep testing it over the coming weeks and see if it misbehaves again and if so will try replacing/cleaning the connections.

Thanks for your reply.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Replace the starter with an uncorroded one (the corrosion is causing resistance so it's not getting the fully whack of leccy juice) before you breakdown completely. And keep the terminal under the rubberhood regularly greased up to prevent it rusting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-HORNET- ... SwGYVW9Qwh
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

do you have manual CCTs fitted? if they are slightly tight then they can generate a lot of drag when the engine expands when hot.

if that is not the case I would actually say the battery or rec/reg or starter cable is top suspects.

for the rusty nut, just take a junior hacksaw and cut down the middle of the bolt [along its axis] till it splits the bolt., then clean up the threads on the stud with a wire brush and run a die down the threads if you have one. then rebuild with lots of grease and a new stainless nut.
AMcQ
vtrjim86

Post by vtrjim86 »

No im still using the standard ccts but they were replaced about 4 years ago. It does seem more likely to be the starter motor, will have a go cleaning the connection first and replace if required.

Cheers
vtrjim86

Post by vtrjim86 »

Also interesting that you can use a hornet starter motor, i guess they made one type and added it to most of the range.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you can also use blackbird and blade starters, all the same part
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Are you hearing a squeal as it tries to turn over?
If so, it's the transfer gears.
I have a set if you need some.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtrjim86

Post by vtrjim86 »

Nope sounds absolutely normal when turning over, only seemed to be an issue when starting from hot. I have run it for 5 minutes or so and it starts fine after but will give it s decent ride and see how i go.
vtrjim86

Post by vtrjim86 »

For anyone interested it was the battery, all changed and sorted now.

Also cleaned the starter motor connector for peace of mind
babysitter

Post by babysitter »

Had the same on mine changed battery, reg (yam Ri) unit and starter motor still the same go to the bike starts first time, Run to the pumps fill up again hit the starter button sounds as battery flat get to work press the stater button all ok found it was the intermediate gear (76T/20T) 28100-MBB-000 fitted s/h gear now starts first time every time :thumbup: GEAR, STARTER REDUCTION (76T/20T)

28100-MBB-000

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_d ... &fveh=4077
Harley Davidson Roadking 1690 / Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster
54 Honda Varadero XL1000 / Honda Firestorm Red,/ BSA B40WD Trials,
/Audi TT 225 / Foard Transit T300/ VW Touareg
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If anyone needs one, I have good secondhand ones for a fraction of that cost!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

vtrjim86 wrote:For anyone interested it was the battery, all changed and sorted now.

Also cleaned the starter motor connector for peace of mind
Glad to hear you've sorted it :thumbup:

Chris.