gasket v silicone

General Biker Banter
ChrisC

gasket v silicone

Post by ChrisC »

I put this in general chat because it is not VTR related, I'm restoring a 1950/60 2 stroke motorcycle and have got the engine is in bits, so i would like your thoughts on whether it would be better to buy a gasket set (if i can get one) or will a modern day silicon, if it's "petrol resistant" be better.
cheers chrisc
Motomvk

Re: gasket v silicone

Post by Motomvk »

Why not both? :roll:
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi motomvk, Because I was let down by an "e bayer" and by a bloke from the owners club...so to keep the job moving i was wondering if i needed a bloody gasket in the first place.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Depends where the gasket is, if it fits between parts that have, for example, shafts going through, the end float could be affected by leaving gaskets out.
And you can't replace head gaskets with silicon, although I've done it on a few engines as a cheap way of increasing the compression....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Tony, It' for the primary chain and gearbox engine casings ,i have gaskets for the cylinder head, carb to block and yes its a good point about the end float on the gear change shaft coming through the casing :thumbup: never give that a thought....but it is old british bike it will have loads more float than the Titannic ever had...
cheers
darkember

Post by darkember »

Wicky wrote:Make your own paper ones...

https://www.louis.de/en/rund-ums-motorr ... dichtungen
Spot on for the old bikes paper and cut is best
:thumbup: :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I have made my own primary casing gaskets before (many years ago) for both of my Tritons and a Triumph 650 Thunderbird. I used a cereal packet, although using a proper sheet of gasket material would probably be a better option.
What's the engine, a Villers :?:

Chris.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks fellas , i will send off for some of that gasket paper ,looks good, years ago i tried thick brown paper or card and Stag....who remembers Stag jointing compound...it was orange and smelt like ...well...my first girlfriend.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

ChrisC wrote:Thanks fellas , i will send off for some of that gasket paper ,looks good, years ago i tried thick brown paper or card and Stag....who remembers Stag jointing compound...it was orange and smelt like ...well...my first girlfriend.
Dont send off for it ! Go to your local motor factors, they will have it in stock...Better to give them the money than helping Amozon or egay not pay thier taxes... :x
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Chris , It's a Francis Barnett falcon. it belonged to an old mate of mine, he asked me to take it to the scrap as it in bits and has not run for thirty odd years , he thinks its gone, but I'm restoring it and i am going to give it him back when finished.,

just hope he doesn't scrap it off when i do.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Good call Mac V2, Even better ...
Do you know what this forums great, Thank one and all :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

ChrisC wrote:Hi Chris , It's a Francis Barnett falcon. it belonged to an old mate of mine, he asked me to take it to the scrap as it in bits and has not run for thirty odd years , he thinks its gone, but I'm restoring it and i am going to give it him back when finished.,

just hope he doesn't scrap it off when i do.
That's brilliant Chris, good man, what a mate you are :clap:

Good luck with the work,

Chris.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I'll put up a picture when finished. i had pictures of the rusty bits in boxes but my bloody digital camera failed and i lost the lot....gutted...
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

buy some "Curil T" its superb and never goes hard etc. I use a gasket too on my bikes but you don't always need a gasket.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!