My poor Storm :(

General Biker Banter
wall.j

Re: My poor Storm :(

Post by wall.j »

Thanks again guys. I'll get it sorted. Ah, those fairings would have been perfect, would have purchased the set and got the whole lot sprayed. If anyone is thinking of selling any fairings, think of me! In the meantime I'll take Tony's advice and bungee the cover up.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Hi. wall if its of any comfort I'm pretty sure we have all been there on the forum I had a mint ZXR400 years ago, I still like these little bikes now, and looked out my window to find it lying on it side because of the bike cover had pulled it over in strong winds, came off on Diesel 7 months ago twice in an hour on my little sportster.

I watched in horror as my one and only brand new bike I bought slid off the stand and landed hard on the road, I had an FZR 600 totally resprayed years ago look mint, brought it back home my mate swung the gate open a little to hard as I was pushing it back out the drive the gate ripped the front fairing, cost me another £140.

These things happen mate, try not to beat yourself up.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

How gutting, I hope you can get it sorted without too much hassle,

Chris.
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

I beat myself up a little last night I have to say. Not feeling too upset this morning. I can live with the fairings for now, just want to get the exhaust back to where it should be. Need to work out what's bent! A local garage just quoted £150 to weld the plastic, and said it would only make it secure and wouldn't look perfect. Hmm. Seems a little high for just a fix...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Did you see on the Facebook Firestorm owners group there's an Italian chap possibly selling his black plastics.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 15#p409905
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

wall.j wrote:I beat myself up a little last night I have to say. Not feeling too upset this morning. I can live with the fairings for now, just want to get the exhaust back to where it should be. Need to work out what's bent! A local garage just quoted £150 to weld the plastic, and said it would only make it secure and wouldn't look perfect. Hmm. Seems a little high for just a fix...
If you had seen my FZR600 when I first bought it you would have thought it needed new fairing, there was even bits miss, if you can find a good repairer then then can make it look like new, but it wont be cheap I'm afraid, might be time to give it a total new look?.

I would be tempted to Repsol the bike.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

You can "weld " them your self with a good soldering iron , I'd plastex them tho as its stronger then before if you do it right .
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Thanks for the above, I've exchanged a few messages with the Italian chap and he's going to do a bit of research and let me know a price. In the meantime, I've had a look at a few of the videos online for one of the repair products and it seems relatively easy. I'm a electrician and suffer from OCD, so don't see why I can't make it look as good as others I've seen! For £20 (plus paint) it'd be worth a shot right?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

One tip- buy a cheapie high wattage iron with a fat tip- an electronics iron probably wont have enough power, especially if you're working outside.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

tony.mon wrote:an electronics iron probably wont have enough power
Yes it will. The melting point of plastic is still lower than the melting point of lead. :wink:
But getting a cheap iron is probably still a good idea as the plastic makes a mess of the tip and it's a pain in the wotsits to get the tip back into a good enough condition for decent soldering.
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
wall.j

Post by wall.j »

Right, a friend has offered me free rein of his workshop so I'm going to have a shot at repairing myself. I've order some Plastex, do I need filler as well or will the Plastex be enough? Also, any tips on what sort of primer/paint and how to get it nice and shiny? Tempted to do the lot before summer and sport a new colour... Not sure though as quite like the black and would be less work. Any other tips for this process would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures of my progress of course!
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

wall.j

Post by wall.j »

StormingHonda wrote:Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzoyf2xVIuY
Thanks, but I think my approach won't be as professional. I don't have any equipment like that at my disposal.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26537
wall.j wrote:Right, a friend has offered me free rein of his workshop so I'm going to have a shot at repairing myself. I've order some Plastex, do I need filler as well or will the Plastex be enough? Also, any tips on what sort of primer/paint and how to get it nice and shiny? Tempted to do the lot before summer and sport a new colour... Not sure though as quite like the black and would be less work. Any other tips for this process would be greatly appreciated. I'll post pictures of my progress of course!