CCT renewal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
bluesman

not sure

Post by bluesman »

I do not think that unless CCT REALLY gone there is risk that chain jumped.
I have changed CCT on all Honda's I rode every 25-30 000 km, as Honda CCT way cheaper than Suzuki's and Kawasaki's.
To do it you absolutely do not need to remove cam cover.
You need to remove plugs on cranckshaft cover and plug on timing control hole.
Then rotate cranckshaft so that FT mark aligned to control mark = camshaft does not push against valves, chain will not jump when CCT removed. Change front
CCT. Do same for rear cylinder with RT mark - chain will not jump.
Again - this is valid if your CCT did not actully BROKE down.
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
eyeofthestorm

Post by eyeofthestorm »

Does anyone have a Honda part number handy for the CCT? I would like to phone the stealer for a quote.

Rich
curly

Post by curly »

Hi,
I got my cct's from David Silver Spares for £26 + vat each, they arrived the next day mail order.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

Curly
theweeeman

Post by theweeeman »

sirch wrote: I personally don't think very much of what your so called "Honda mechanic" told you to do, in fact IMHO a very cowboyish attitude. Its your bike so if you are happy with this persons advice, then thats your choice,
I wish you all the best with front CCT,
Chris.

both timing chain tensioners done now, plus if i had any doubt that it had moved i would have removed the cam covers but it had'nt so i was happy with that, The amount of bike mechanics that dont remove the cam covers is unbelievable. The only reason some do with v twins is co the chain is under such tension, it can slip a tooth, but still some of em use this as a short cut, if i were havin a garage do it, i would want the covers off, but cos its me, and its my fault if it goes tits up, its cool :D , besides bikes running sweet now too :D Maybe i was lucky after all, but then if i heard or suspected the slightest movement i would have stripped her anyway :D
the weeeman riding the storm!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/746.jpg
check this out too!
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk
mecon

CCT Renewal

Post by mecon »

sirch345,

I agree wiv u on that - the 'feel' bit. Much better to do it proper-like 'cos if it goes Pete Tong (other DJ's are available) you'll need to strip it anyway.
--
mecon

(finks - icon, mycon, mecon - woohoo)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Theweeeman wrote:-

both timing chain tensioners done now, plus if i had any doubt that it had moved i would have removed the cam covers but it had'nt so i was happy with that, The amount of bike mechanics that dont remove the cam covers is unbelievable. The only reason some do with v twins is co the chain is under such tension, it can slip a tooth, but still some of em use this as a short cut, if i were havin a garage do it, i would want the covers off, but cos its me, and its my fault if it goes tits up, its cool , besides bikes running sweet now too Maybe i was lucky after all, but then if i heard or suspected the slightest movement i would have stripped her anyway

Hi theweeeman,
Glad to hear everything went OK with the front CCT.
All I had been thinking was by following your Honda mechanic's advice you had given yourself a 50% chance of things going the right way, where as had you followed Pete L advice you would have given yourself 100% of things going the right way.
But like I said earlier its your choice and things fortunately for you turned out OK. I expect you are feeling a lot happier now with new tensioners.
cheers Chris.