Any benefit in getting cams ground up?

General Biker Banter
NZSpokes

Any benefit in getting cams ground up?

Post by NZSpokes »

Was just randomly thinking if getting cams ground is worth doing? If so to what profile? :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Any benefit in getting cams ground up?

Post by sirch345 »

Tony Mon had a set reground. Iirc he had a standard set reground removing 1mm off the base of the lobe. That would result in more lift without altering the original cam profile. Probably not the answer you were looking for, although that is an option of having the valves opening further. Obviously you would need to check clearances with the pistons if you did try this, although I don't think Tony had any issues with the pistons he was using,

Chris.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Depends on what profile is available, and it has to be for bikes. Cars profile is not usable. My cams are reground very close to moriwaki intake specs. But for ex cams, different profile would be probably better. It is running fine anyway.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I too am very interested in this topic.

I've read about Stephan getting some cams reground & fitted, but haven't found a full write up on the performance outcome of the profile he chose.

Would be great to find out how the bike runs in detail :thumbup: Too peaky or losing too much low down grunt etc.. Or just plain brilliant :thumbup:

I did also look into finding a cam grinding machine & did some homework looking for an old Landis cam grinder machine.

I think finding one is only the start, then you have to make the patterns for the grinder to copy :roll:

They are very rare indeed, but I'll still keep my ear to the ground :thumbup:

Here's one from the US. £3,560.91. = Only 3 & 1/2 sets of Moriwaki camshafts :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bechler-Cam-S ... SwgNRV8DXf

Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Varastorm wrote:I too am very interested in this topic.

I've read about Stephan getting some cams reground & fitted, but haven't found a full write up on the performance outcome of the profile he chose.

Would be great to find out how the bike runs in detail :thumbup: Too peaky or losing too much low down grunt etc.. Or just plain brilliant :thumbup:
I would like to write more, but I can´t, it would be just fairy tale. When I fitted the cams, it came with head porting and new high comp pistons, how can I tell what is the performance of new cams. What I can say is, there is no lose of power at low end, my last dyno shew it. Now it is running better than shown it that chart.

Bike has 122 bhp with stock airbox, that´s not bad compared with stage1 from Mr Roger D.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Varastorm wrote:I too am very interested in this topic.

I did also look into finding a cam grinding machine & did some homework looking for an old Landis cam grinder machine.

I think finding one is only the start, then you have to make the patterns for the grinder to copy :roll:

They are very rare indeed, but I'll still keep my ear to the ground :thumbup:

Here's one from the US. £3,560.91. = Only 3 & 1/2 sets of Moriwaki camshafts :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bechler-Cam-S ... SwgNRV8DXf

Shipping may be a bit spendy. :eek2
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Still cheaper to sell it and buy an Sp.
Tony
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

tony.mon wrote:Still cheaper to sell it and buy an Sp.
Tony
:thumbup: that's what I've always thought.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Tony
good to say before starting modding at all, because there is no way back :D

But firestorm is better allrounder, I am not fancied in having vtr sp.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Tony
you jumping on that band wagon now :)
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

there is varadero lump for sale, at one time Tony thought about putting one in a storm and thus getting fuel injection, allowing for easier setup on the dyno...he's no fun anymore.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Tony
Rode one for 50 miles once, not sure my back has recovered from it a year later.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

NZSpokes wrote:
Tony
Rode one for 50 miles once, not sure my back has recovered from it a year later.
Yeah, they're shite off-road.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

One year on & here's my update....

I've been busy gathering parts prepping for "hotter" camshafts & now I only :roll: need the camshafts :lol: :lol:

This is where I am, I have managed to get my hands on a set of Falicon vernier cam sprockets & some Kibblewhite high lift racing valve springs. They specify 0.530" (13.462mm) maximum valve lift 8O . I know I am lacking the main ingredient, the camshafts, but hey ho, you have to start somewhere.

This is my condensed ideas to source some cams at the moment:

1, Sit & wait in front of the pc & hope a set to pops up on eBay.

2, Chase a number I have been given from a local head refurb shop for Autosprint.co.uk in Birmingham.

3, Ask Stephan for help & advise me how to get some reground from his cam man source.

4, Since the weather is poor & man flue has taken hold this is what I have been looking into. Getting in touch with a "reputable" Chinese firm to knock out a set of high lift cams.

They all state a minimum order e.g. 100'ish, but seeing that there are 4 in one engine & I know it's not ideal, but possible for them all to be the same profile. That makes only 25 sets :think:

Here are some of the sites I have been looking at.

http://xytosan.en.made-in-china.com/pro ... shaft.html

http://xtwinway.en.made-in-china.com/pr ... haft-.html

http://xjrcathyxie.en.made-in-china.com ... ality.html

Anyone any other ideas??
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

From what I remember, my source had only two profiles suitable. One was mine with 256 deg duration and 10.2mm lift, second 242 deg duration and 10.7mm lift. Problem is that this man is getting old, and I am not sure if he will be still able to do it. Price is not low as well, about 220 pounds for regrounding 4 cams. But I can try asking another people.
And you must be able to completely instal the cams including new timing, not easy.

My advice, you have Kent cams in UK, you have some people around with mori or yosh cams, try to ask Kent cams if they are able to make copies for you. Or use their cams advertised for VTR. Price is not so bad, and they are one of the best.

When you go into mods like this, just throw away idea of saving money. It just doesn't work. Including professional work.