the stearing bar moves right & left when in hard breakes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
myrtos

the stearing bar moves right & left when in hard breakes

Post by myrtos »

Happy new year to everyone. I'm an owner of a yellow VTR. My broblem is that when I need to be hard on the breaks I get a feeling from the stearing bar of a vivid moovement left & right & I loose control. There's no treambling in high speed though ( or assending - decenting speeds). Once I even crashed. I've checked the tires, Wheels, stearing bearings & everything is Ok (it bears its original parts). I've been thinking in changing the front fork with an upside down for more stability but nobody here in Greece know what to put & what to change.
Please help becouse I'm thinking of giving it away for this problems but I REALLY don't want to.
Thank you in advance
Myrtos :cry: :?:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Myrtos
welcome on board :D
If the stearing bearings and the wheel bearings are ok the next place I would look is the brake discs, they maybe slightly bent (warped) Also check the brake pads, See if the wear is even, if not you might have problems with the calipers.
An early Honda CBR900r Front end will fit on the storm if thats the route you want to go. Do a "Search" on this forum and you will find some infomation on how it's converted

Pete.l
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Check the disk thickness all the way round.
Its quite common for the disk to be slightly warped (which you probably won't feel) which then wears unevenly.
Eventually you end up with a thin spot (which you WILL feel)

Ben
myrtos

Post by myrtos »

I've already changed the break disks with new ones (margerita style) & the pads are new also. Also changed the original front fork springs with White Power one but the same old story again. I've checked & replace everything that could cause this moovement in the front fork , tire, wheel, pads, calipers etc. ( my bike never crashed before so the frame is straight I guess). The problem wasn't solved by these actions. Does anyone of you had the same problem? Is this a matter of geometry of the frame or something similar? Do all VTRs do this or just mine???
Than you for your comments .
:( Myrtos :cry:
theweeeman

Post by theweeeman »

seems like youve covered most common causes, but if its still doing it, howabout checking your alignment between rear and front tyres. Plenty of places do it by lazer alignment. If it were me i would be tearing my hair out by now, cos i would have tried all the things you have tried.
Its gonna be hard to find as the bike changes drasticly under breaking, light at rear, planted at the front, this makes it rather hard to narrow down. let us know how you go, and good luck.
the weeeman riding the storm!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/746.jpg
check this out too!
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk
myrtos

Post by myrtos »

I'll test it for alignment too. if there would be no matter of cost would you recoment fire blade's front fork or something like White Power or Ohlins?

Thank you guys for your answers. I'll let you know if something changes & how!!! :(
Myrtos
theweeeman

Post by theweeeman »

now thats a good idea :lol: i would luv to have the blade set up. :wink:
the weeeman riding the storm!
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/gallery/746.jpg
check this out too!
http://www.toolcrew.co.uk
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Have you checked the wheel bearings in the front wheel?

Other thoughts,
-Front wheel not balanced
-Tyre has a flat spot or not round
-Are the wheel spacers the right way round? (long shot)
-Have you got any front to back movement in the forks if you lift the front end off the ground and grab the fork bottoms

Failing that you're into desperate measures like disconnecting one caliper at a time and seeing if its the same using only the left or right caliper

Ben

PS the Blade front fork root is a great mod BUT if this problem is related to your wheel or brakes you'll still have the same problem :cry:
myrtos

Post by myrtos »

Stormin Ben , everything you mentioned aboved has been checked. EVERYTHING but disconecting one caliper at the time. I'll try that too although my mechanic thinks It won't have reliable results as the braking power will be less intense for the bike to let this problem show it self. In any way I"LL ALSO DO THIS TOO!!!
Thank you for the idea. That was something that never crossed my mind! :)
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

It may be the tyres, I had similar feeling on D207's now on BT 010's much more confidence.
Just a chance it might be you subconciously causing the problem.
Try riding another bike, then yours and see if problem happens on both bikes, or get someone else to ride yours.
I sometimes get tense and run wide etc.
it may be clever, but its not big.
Bink

Post by Bink »

γειά σας!
I can imgine this frustrating you if you have tried many options and no improvement is see.

This might be too obvious but have you checked tyre pressure? It should be 36 PSI at the front.

Has the rear been raised in anyway as this increases the weight on the front.

Have you owned the bike for a long time or did you buy it recently?
Best thing to do is to go back to before it occured- what has changed since then? Did you change to the WP springs recentlly? Maybe the fork springs are set too firm to cope with the change of weight.

Good luck!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Myrtos,
Welcome on board.
Have you checked the rear wheel bearings and swingarm bearings, just because it is felt at the front end does not necessarily mean its a front end problem.
cheers Chris.
myrtos

Post by myrtos »

Γεια σου Bink
Hi everybody. Nice to see that people from the other end of Europe care for a poor guy's problem from Greece. I guess that motorcycle unite us all eh?

Any way , I own the bike first hand since 2000. The problem begun after 6-8 months. As my mechanic said in a new bike everything is tight & the feeling is more stable too. As time passed the problem started to show more ovbiously. I've changed the tyres ( don't even remember how many times & brands) , changed every bearings on the bike, changed the brake disks front & rear & pads as required, recently changed the front springs, being checking the tyres for pressure continiously, checked wheels for balance. The only thing I haven't done yet is what Stormin Ben & Wheeeman mentioned (test with one caliper at a time & alignment). Now I'm tring to find a fork from F.B to replace the front & also change the rear shock absorber. The only thing I wonder of is that it might doesn't worth the trouble & especialy all this money I would have to pay ( as calculated in Greece it would cost 4000-4500 euros ) a lot of money to make my bike stable. Thank you all for your help & suggestions
Σας ευχαριστω ολους για την βοηθεια σας

Myrtos :wink:
P.S. As NHR22259 suggested I've riden other bikes as well. The best feeling I got is from a Ducati. Not other bikes behaved this way exept a 97 TDM & the broblem was "almost" similar. Except of the same as mine (when in hard brakes) it also trebbled at 60-80 klm per hour ( but that was a TDM ...) .
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

one last though............maybe loose engine mounts, when the weight transfers forward under braking. maybe this would show as instability.

Hope you find the problem.
What speed do you brake from....will try to create same situation and see what happens. (well when the snow clears)

Paul
it may be clever, but its not big.
tony.wilde1

shakes

Post by tony.wilde1 »

i found this site that deals with shaking steering/headshake
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... cking.html

it points to correct adjustment of bearings.

might help you.