old tyres

General Bike chat
alanfjones1411

old tyres

Post by alanfjones1411 »

My bike is due an mot next month.The back tyre has only done around 200 miles,but the man that owned it before me fell off it and left it in his garage since 2003 vowing never to ride it again.I bought it from him and done the necessary to get it roadworthy.Anyway the rear tyre has the dot code stating it was made in 28th week 2003 making it 12 years old.My question is,is this tyre safe it still has all the pips around the edge and a perfect tread. :?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
chric

Re: old tyres

Post by chric »

no bin it imo
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

bin it asap it will be rock hard.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Not worth your life ,
Get them changed asap .
6 years for a tyre at the most ,after that all there good for is burnouts
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

As already said, Bin it. I rode on an 11 year old front tyre a few months back. Front kept locking up when braking. Didn't exactly inspire me to go round a corner at any speed,
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

my road tyres where getting to the end of their life but i wanted to save them for a two day track day event. So i dug out a road legal set from a bike that had stood for 9 years .....battlax BT something sporty

On the way to work i took a bend at the usual, not overly aggressive rate and the front end just washed out. It all got a bit messy but i stayed on. i was very lucky........pace maker blew a fuse though....

CHOP THEM INTO TINY PIECES, JUMP UP AND DOWN ON THEM, THEN BIN THEM !!!!!!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

KEEP IT - SELL IT.

If it looks ok, then advertise it for a tenner to some spotty butt yoof who wants a bargain. Sell it as a "part worn" with "no repairs" and "holds air".

A tenner is a full tank of fuel for the Storm. I bet it doesn't hang about on Gumtree if you ask for that! (Lots of folk aren't assed about tyre dates - they just want a cheap tyre for a day to get through an MOT etc).

Or, set alight to it in the back garden. But ONLY when the neighbours have their white washing and net curtains on the line. :twisted:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:KEEP IT - SELL IT.

If it looks ok, then advertise it for a tenner to some spotty butt yoof who wants a bargain. Sell it as a "part worn" with "no repairs" and "holds air".
With all due respect TGBM, that's a pretty bad idea :thumbdown:

Get it replaced and bin the old one.
Jamie :wave:
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Jamoi wrote:With all due respect TGBM, that's a pretty bad idea :thumbdown:
I totally agree. But only if the wind was blowing in the wrong direction over the fence.

Oh, you meant selling it? :lol: Hmmm. There's plenty folk selling part worns, with tyres that are pushing 10 year dates and that have been repaired. Some well shagged examples for 30 quid or more!

I've bought a 20 year old Metzler ME33 for me FJ1200 once, and it only had a few hundred miles on it. Stuck it on and did 20,000 more miles without a problem. Yes, I took a chance, but, when times are tight, folk will buy a decent looking tyre and take a chance. And if Allan sells it for a tenner stated with no guarantees, and even says it's X amount of years old, he can still flog it for a tank of fuel!
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I guess I am more amazed at the fact that the guy "left it in his garage since 2003 vowing never to ride it again." It must have scared him pretty good. I could see how someone, not very experienced, could scare themselves on a Fire Storm.

BTW, I am with everyone on this. Changes those tires and slap some sticky modern rubber on there. You will be glad you did.

Funny: I went out and check my tires. The back has good tread and was manufactured in 2012. The front is from 08 and is junk. It must go.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Keith

Post by Keith »

I made the mistake of using an old tyre to replace a worn rear tyre just so that it would be legal until I could afford a new one. The bike in question was my commuting Fazer 600 which is now sitting in my garden with a smashed fairing and other damage due to the rear giving way on a country right hander at about 45mph. Considering that I had my leathers cut off me and my lid only fit for the bin then I should have just waited till I was able to afford a new tyre. Especially considering I could have also just used the storm which had good tyres at the time but I was trying to save on fuel. :roll:

Conclusion: Don't be a cheap skate and fit new tyres if you have any doubt whatsoever. If you can't afford them at the time then save up.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

lloydie wrote:all there good for is burnouts
...this first, then bin it.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

booked in for Pirelli Diablo tyres and mot Monday.Because I have HRC wheels the back tyre has to be a 190 and I told the fitter I want to see the old rear tyre cut right through on one side.Thanks for all advice received. :thumbup: :thumbup:
popkat

Post by popkat »

HRC wheels ??, what size is it, if it's 5.5" you need a 180/55/17, only use a 190 if it's 6".. It's written on side of the wheel..
If you fit a 190 on a 5.5" wheel it's wasted and you'll get less contact patch when leaned over as the tyre will curl a bit more on the rim.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I haven't measured it but the man in the bike shop took a look and said it needed a 190 on that wheel.Then he looked at the size of the tyre already fitted and it is a 190.