Rain Riding

General Biker Banter
Big_Jim59

Rain Riding

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lloydie wrote:I spend most of my time riding in the wet these days , more you do it the more fun it gets , but only with the correct gear on .
This has been something that has been on my mind for quite a while and I think deserves its own thread. "What about rain gear?"

You all ride in conditions that could drench you at any time. In my part of the world rain is a cause for celebration and the land is so flat you can see a storm coming an hour away. The chances of getting caught out in a surprise downpour are pretty slim. This should make you experts on rain gear.

Currently my gear consists of an Olympia 2 piece textile suit with the water proof liner removed for the duration of the summer. (It's meshing and the wind blows through it and it feels wonderful in 100 degree heat.) I carry a Frogg Togg (cheap Wal-Mart) rain suit that works wonders in a torrential rain but you must stop and struggle into it (it is huge and goes on over my Olympia suit.)

From the limited rain riding experience I have learned a few things:
I hate the water proof liner concept. It leave you with a wet outer shell and everything in my pockets gets soaked.
A real one piece rain suit will cook you in the summer like a roast in an oven bag.
I would like to think that there is something out there that doesn't require you to stop and get suited up or carry a second set of clothing with you.
Leathers are horrible when wet.
In my younger days I used to just ride and get wet. I am past that now and seek comfort.

Any ideas?
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
tony.mon

Re: Rain Riding

Post by tony.mon »

There's the Roadcraft suit:
http://www.aerostich.com/men-s-roadcraf ... -suit.html

I would love one of these to go over the suit for work, but they're just too pricey for my pocket.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Big_Jim59 wrote:This has been something that has been on my mind for quite a while and I think deserves its own thread. "What about rain gear?"
I think they are kinda cute. Without them, we wouldn't get any presents as Santa would not have any pulling power.

Oh, hang on. Sorry, I initially read this and thought it said "What about reindeer..."
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I use Richa rain warrior jacket and trousers ,
These fit over my Oxford textiles .that are too waterproof.I have a pin lock visor and rain gloves with a blade in the right thumb so you can clear the visor or rain .
Waterproof boots .

Stay dry ,stay happy :-)
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

I used to have one of those all in one waterproof suits, which were very effective but I always seem to pull a muscle struggling into the damn things. Plus I hate getting too hot and those suits are a guaranteed way of overheating. I ditched mine (actually it fell out of the bungee net on the A14 while I was on my way to Germany). I then bought a two piece, so basically a jacket and trousers made of the same stuff that you pull on over your regular riding kit. Heat is still a problem but they vent a bit more than a suit.

Unless you fancy riding around in Goretex all year, I'd say something like this is the best compromise. Goretex seems to stop working in very hot or humid temps and would probably be too hot in Texas heat.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
chric

Post by chric »

I just get wet saves me getting my weekly wash.
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh, hang on. Sorry, I initially read this and thought it said "What about reindeer..."
Now that was proper funny reading your post because the exact same thing happened to me as my eyes scanned it Only you have taken it a step further and actually posted it. :lol: :lol:

For me I have a throw over pair of Ex Police (cheap on ebay) Black Gortex over-trousers which I either roll up and store under my seat or wear over what I am wearing. I have a textile armoured Gortex Rucka jacket which I currently use all year. Hot summers are not good in this jacket even with all ventilation zips open, so I will most likely get a motorcross style T-Bag with body armour for the real hot summers days otherwise I'm tempted to ride in a T-shirt or fleace. If I get caught in a shower on one of the rare hot summers days we get then so be it, it's often refreshing.

Oh and Most important to keep dry are my hands and feet. I also have Gortex Sidi boots. The over-trousers can either be folded inside the boots in which case in torrential rain it dribbles down inside the boots....yuk, or can hang outside the boots and inside remains dry as bone. As for gloves, unfortunately I don't have Gortex and my hands get wet and gloves can be wrung out, yuk yuk. I can't afford decent Gortex gloves. There is something mentally stopping me from spending something like £100+ on a pair of gloves. But I do hate it when my hands get cold and wet, wrinkle up and it feels like I have to tear my gloves off my hands because they are soaked, and then put cold wet soggy gloves back on.

As you can tell I am a fan of Gortex. Have been since the early 80's when I bought my first Berghaus Gortex jacket.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

Heated grips will sort out the wet hands issue..
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

So, what I am getting is you all ride like me, textile gear and some sort of over protection for the wet. I realize that no one riding suit will do it all. I just wanted to get your take on it. I ride when temps are just above freezing to when it gets into the 100s (I don't like to ride when it's that hot because it's just so miserable but I will do it.) The best piece of gear in my kit is my Gerbings electric vest. I used to carry so many more clothes on a trip but now I just take the Gerbings. It's wonderful over mountain passes. This goes for getting wet too as it will keep the chill off.

Also, you are correct. Keeping hands and feet dry are so important. I have a pare of nameless water proof gauntlet gloves that work great but I hate the bulk for regular riding. I want to buy some over boots for my feet.

When I am out on the road I keep several days worth of t-shits, underwear and socks done up in plastic bags. I can ride wet but when I get to where I am going dry socks are pure heaven.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach