Blade front end

General Bike chat
StuartWags

Blade front end

Post by StuartWags »

I have a VTR that i will be working over the winter. it is fitted with a blade front end and yokes plus WP springs.

Does this mess up the steering set up? I know the storm doesn't have the best geometry. compared with more modern bikes, but it what i am used to and i wouldn't want to make it worse

NOT USD forks
alanfjones1411

Re: Blade front end

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I have a set of 954 blade forks USD. They seem to be better to me and give good feel while cornering. But as stated mine are USD. Hope this is of some help to you.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

StuartWags wrote:I have a VTR that i will be working over the winter. it is fitted with a blade front end and yokes plus WP springs.

Does this mess up the steering set up? I know the storm doesn't have the best geometry. compared with more modern bikes, but it what i am used to and i wouldn't want to make it worse

NOT USD forks
If it isn't broke don't fix it :D
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Blade forks are slightly shorter and so if you like a bike to feel "front-endy" then it's a good upgrade.

Don't drop them through the yokes as it gets too slappy.

But also you will lose a little ground clearance, if you already scrape pegs then it will make it worse.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

or il swap you a nice storm front end lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

tony.mon wrote:Blade forks are slightly shorter and so if you like a bike to feel "front-endy" then it's a good upgrade.

Don't drop them through the yokes as it gets too slappy.

But also you will lose a little ground clearance, if you already scrape pegs then it will make it worse.
interesting ... i don't scrap pegs on the road but needing more ground clearance i found on the track......

however it also has harris rear sets.

it looks like the standard blade yokes with the forks about flush when i got it

this is what it look liked 9 years ago before it sh@t the cct and stood a a shed growing a crust... it is not so pretty now but should scrub up with some elbow work

Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I have 96 blade forks, 6mm raised rear end, stock rearset, and I find ground clearance sufficient. I scrape the pegs on track, but rear tire has no chicken strips, so it is fine, though there is little more angle tires can handle. But I can remove ground checkers from pegs to get more clearance.