lazy starter

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

lazy starter

Post by fabiostar »

or should that be non starter.
this last while its been getting lazy to start and if i left it for a week it just about turned over and fired. so new battery time. popped a new battery in and its the same. itl turn over maybe once then just getting a wheeze out the starter motor :( . no clicking or anything just tries as if the batteries flat?.. got the bike to bump down the hill at my house and runs fine, no problems but not on the button..?

starter motor im hoping???
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
grumpyfrog

Re: lazy starter

Post by grumpyfrog »

Have you taken the rubber boot off the front, given it a dam good clean and check? Common falter.
Also, what else do you have on as extra, alarm etc draining the battery? Even if you have a charger lead plugged in that might be enough.
Apart from that wait till pineapple is back from his tours and do a refurb exchange with him.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

grumpyfrog wrote:Have you taken the rubber boot off the front, given it a dam good clean and check? Common falter.
Also, what else do you have on as extra, alarm etc draining the battery? Even if you have a charger lead plugged in that might be enough.
Apart from that wait till pineapple is back from his tours and do a refurb exchange with him.
iv nothing else hooked up to it.. its been getting slower of late which made me think new battery would sort it, had a wee look at the rubber boot and its a bit rusty under it so have to give that a clean :thumbup:
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Or could be a bad earth somewhere ?
macdee

Post by macdee »

what sort of rec/reg have you on the bike
are the battery connections clean/tight
can you take a volt reading when not running and then running
as the men have said ,starter connection clean
told you not to but oh no you knew better
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

macdee wrote:what sort of rec/reg have you on the bike
are the battery connections clean/tight
can you take a volt reading when not running and then running
as the men have said ,starter connection clean
strange thing is it runs fine when bumped, its got a later finned type rec. and iv lost my bloody multi meter :oops: . i pulled the rubber boot of and when i tried starting it i could feel and hear the starter motor try to turn then squeel kinda. the conection on the starter was pretty bad with rust and i had to cut the bloody nut of. iv a mate dropping me a fireblade one round that i know works so il try that..
macdee

Post by macdee »

Ok
clean the connection and try your starter first ,just to tick off that check
told you not to but oh no you knew better
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

starter seems to tuen over a few times then just wheezes.. new starter required i hope?
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Also worth noting don't get into the habbit of bumping this beast- some sort of spog gives up the easily and is a mare to fix.
Get some jump leads or a booster pack.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

grumpyfrog wrote:Also worth noting don't get into the habbit of bumping this beast- some sort of spog gives up the easily and is a mare to fix.
Get some jump leads or a booster pack.
thats what im afraid of. i tried jump leads from the car and it was just the same :( . hopfully get my hands on this other starter tomorrow and try that.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If you found the bolt on the starter corroded then that's more than likely the problem, as not not enough electrickery juice can get through the rusty resistance. Plus if you haven't kept it greased under the rubber hood then the corrosion has also probably worked its way past the internal fibrewashers knackering it also on the inside.

It's possible to strip and refurbish the starter motor with a stainless steel bolt or simply swap with a starter from any 600cc+ honda from late 90s/earlynaughties. Good condition Hornet ones can be had cheaply on fleabay.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

+1 with Wicky you can take it apart i had the same issue with my silver storm you can get a cheap cbr600 one that matches up fine there quite a range that use the same starter motor
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days lads im hoping thats all it is. it was very rusty and iv a mate dropping me round a 97 blade motor which should be the same . bloody weather is blazing and im stuck riding my wee divvie atm...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

ell cleaned all the connections. charged the battery ,popped in the new starter that i know works fine and hit the button. and the big pile of yellow shite is the same. tries to turn over maybe once then sounds like it has no power to turn over the engine :redface ..... :redface :redface :redface
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

So if you have a new fully charged battery and a known working starter then something isn't right between the two - time to check check the starter relay / power lead and that all connections between all are clean and tight.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts