Michelin Pilot Road 3

General Bike chat
bazzashadow

Michelin Pilot Road 3

Post by bazzashadow »

I have had my pilot 3`s on for about 600-700 miles now and I have to say that sometimes I go round a corner and it feels like the rear is fat or sliding.
is this just me or do these tyres give that feeling?
I run the rear at about 38-40 psi and I am not leaning to far because I still have chicken strips :oops:
KermitLeFrog

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3

Post by KermitLeFrog »

It's amazing how little crap on the road can make a tyre break traction. Almost invisible amounts of mud, dust, gravel, diesel, oil, road kill, plants, cow sh1t (etc... the list is never ending) can make a wheel skip out almost regardless of lean angle. Happened to me today (twice) on roads recently used by logging trucks. Road looked clean but wasn't....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

KermitLeFrog wrote:It's amazing how little crap on the road can make a tyre break traction. Almost invisible amounts of mud, dust, gravel, diesel, oil, road kill, plants, cow sh1t (etc... the list is never ending) can make a wheel skip out almost regardless of lean angle. Happened to me today (twice) on roads recently used by logging trucks. Road looked clean but wasn't....
you could be right but does not feel like that
does feel like its flat
also done it with a passenger on saturday
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Have you checked the linkages and wheel bearings ?.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

bazzashadow wrote:I have had my pilot 3`s on for about 600-700 miles now and I have to say that sometimes I go round a corner and it feels like the rear is fat or sliding.
I must congratulate you in persevering with them for that amount of miles! When I bought my storm, it had a pair of Road Pilots fitted. I took it out for the first ride when the sun was out - and didn't feel comfortable. I put it down to getting used to the "new" bikes handling. Checked everything: Tyre pressures (36F, 42R, swing arm tight, wheel bearing checks, spring settings front and rear etc. Took it out again next day - still sunny, and the same thing: skipped on the corners and almost felt like the rubber had broken away from the road. Made me sit bolt upright and panic a bit.

Took the 6mm shock spacer out, and took a ride again: still the same.

A few days later, I took the bike out in the wet to attend a hospital appointment - still with the Road Pilots. The first white line I rode across the bike slipped across it - the front breaking first, and a feeling of no grip what-so-ever. Sod this for a joke! Coming home (a 100 mile round trip) and still riding in the wet, but keeping the bike upright as best as I could, the bike skipped on every drain cover and white line and tar banding (ok, most tyres will do this a bit in the wet, but these were scary!)

All in all, I rode the bike with the Road Pilots for less than a week, and decided they had to go. The guy at the tyre garage thought I was a bit daft changing them as there was loads of mileage left in them - but, I wasn't happy.

After watching a video review, I got a set of Bridgestone Battlax T30s and, what a difference! - both in handling and confidence in the bike and tyres. Once those wore out, I went for the same T30s again. Superb tyres.

Unfortunately, I've been put off the Road Pilots for the Storm, but they may be ok with other bikes. That said, I'll not use Michelin again. But that's my personal preference after the experience I had with them.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I've been through 3 sets of PR3's across my Bandit and VTR, only ever had it spin up twice in a straight line in wet conditions, accelerating hard on the Storm. Otherwise, no strange feelings from the tyres, I've toured and tracked all those sets with no issues. 36/42 on the road always worked for me.
Maybe the sipes cause extra movement in the tyre than you're used to, but I can't really feel a difference having switched to Metzelers this time (purely to see what they're like, they're good). One guy at a track day thought the PR3's were race wets due to the amount of tread cut in to them.

They're not squared off are they? Nice round profile? im guessing not if that's 600 miles from new but you didn't get part worns or anything?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

GBM,
if you had the PilotRoad1 on your bike, then yes they were crap. the newer PR 2, 3, 4 are the dogs bollowx.

although I agree with TravisZ that the PR3s have so much tread pattern that I found they squirmed a bit under pressure.......... I stick to PR2s for that reason
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv become a maxxis fan and bloody love em.. so cant help you out 8O
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I tried them out on the GSXR at Snetterton in the wet and found them pretty poor.
To be fair, the front was faultless, but the rear spun up coming out of a couple of corners which was scary, and it spun up on the straights.
I've changed to proper wets now as I didn't feel confident in them.

The one session I tried them in the dry I found them ok, but still quite slippy. I went out and rode as if I was on the Supercorsa, but I could feel them moving around, especially the rear. It wasn't really scary, no chance of a high side, and lots of warning, but nothing like as good a grip as you get from the SC1 Supercorsa. That tyre just gives so much confidence.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

As a footnote to my post... I am not the fastest rider out there, and not having issues in the wet is of course down to steady riding in wet conditions. I never had slow or 'regular' speed slips with them in the corners though.

Thinking about it, the first spin-up was actually on some Bridgestone's that were on the bike when I got it, the very first time I rode it. The only time on the PR3's was when I rolled on a bit too much getting back up to speed after a roundabout. I kept it a bit smoother after that.

The Metzelers (Z8 Interacts) have been really good, winding through some wet Welsh roads two up was no problem.
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

thanks for all the replies
I have just done the linkage bearings and rear shock, but it had done it before this.
the rear has spun up on a drain cover, but this can be expected
this just feels like a flat, but not all the time
and no the tyres are not flat yet they where brand new
thanks again
littlerestraint

Post by littlerestraint »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
bazzashadow wrote:I have had my pilot 3`s on for about 600-700 miles now and I have to say that sometimes I go round a corner and it feels like the rear is fat or sliding.
I must congratulate you in persevering with them for that amount of miles! When I bought my storm, it had a pair of Road Pilots fitted. I took it out for the first ride when the sun was out - and didn't feel comfortable. I put it down to getting used to the "new" bikes handling. Checked everything: Tyre pressures (36F, 42R, swing arm tight, wheel bearing checks, spring settings front and rear etc. Took it out again next day - still sunny, and the same thing: skipped on the corners and almost felt like the rubber had broken away from the road. Made me sit bolt upright and panic a bit.

Took the 6mm shock spacer out, and took a ride again: still the same.

A few days later, I took the bike out in the wet to attend a hospital appointment - still with the Road Pilots. The first white line I rode across the bike slipped across it - the front breaking first, and a feeling of no grip what-so-ever. Sod this for a joke! Coming home (a 100 mile round trip) and still riding in the wet, but keeping the bike upright as best as I could, the bike skipped on every drain cover and white line and tar banding (ok, most tyres will do this a bit in the wet, but these were scary!)

All in all, I rode the bike with the Road Pilots for less than a week, and decided they had to go. The guy at the tyre garage thought I was a bit daft changing them as there was loads of mileage left in them - but, I wasn't happy.

After watching a video review, I got a set of Bridgestone Battlax T30s and, what a difference! - both in handling and confidence in the bike and tyres. Once those wore out, I went for the same T30s again. Superb tyres.

Unfortunately, I've been put off the Road Pilots for the Storm, but they may be ok with other bikes. That said, I'll not use Michelin again. But that's my personal preference after the experience I had with them.
Similar experience when I first used PR's, although I can't remember which MK# they were as they came with the bike (and were part worn). Also ended up trying the T30's, which [so far] seem very impressive.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

I had 3s on my 900 Hornet. Brilliant commuting tyres.

For spirited rides the were balls. We put it down to too many sipes out by the edge of the tread. Made it squirm when on the edges. Fitted PR2s and the problem dissapeared. I believe the PR4s resolve this.

But I now run PR2s on my 1200 Bandit and Bridgestone BT016rs on the VTR.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

AMCQ46 wrote:GBM, if you had the PilotRoad1 on your bike, then yes they were crap.
littlerestraint wrote:Similar experience but I can't remember which MK# they were as they came with the bike (and were part worn).
Thanks for the replies.

Same as littlerestraint, I can't remember what mark they were either, as they too came with the bike, and were also part worn (but with shedloads of mileage left). Strange thing is, the last owner (who ran with the Road Pilots on) used to throw the bike around like a rag-doll! This tells me it could be one of 2 things: as he weighs a lot more than me, he would sit the bike down on the road better. This has been proven for speed wobbles and weaving, that weight of the rider does affect the bike. Or, suggestion number 2: He got the bike, and was just oblivious to any "crapness" that the tyres had, and just rode the bike and compensated for the flaws in road-holding.

I've ridden bikes that had loose steering heads and bent frames, and as soon as I got on it, realised the handling was well off. But the old owners made allowances in the riding, and so were able to chuck the bike around the corners like there was nothing wrong.

Regarding the wobbling and weaving, I shall post a link to a video in a new post. It makes interesting viewing. :thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Try a few more psi in the rear- had the same issue, few more psi cured it, hell of a difference
it may be clever, but its not big.