NEW TYRES

General Bike chat
darrenmartin

NEW TYRES

Post by darrenmartin »

Hi all im looking to put new boots on the old girl tomorrow. Iv been sticking with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's for the last couple of sets and iv got nothing but praise for all aspects. Was just curious as to what every one else goes for. Im in Norwich and there is a local place that does ride in ride out so that's a bonus. Any info or tips/advice will as always be greatfully received. Cheers all Daz (the Tango wagon)
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
popkat

Re: NEW TYRES

Post by popkat »

Had Rosso's on my last storm and I never felt great with them, it was the first time I'd tried Rosso's coming from Diablo's and Corsa's before which were great on all different bikes.
On my current storm I've put Metzeler M7RR's and I really like them, lots of confidence, no moments and they are lasting well. I know Metzeler and Pirelli are the same company but the M7's I would say sit between the Rosso and corsa but look to be lasting longer, they're a newer generation than the Rosso's.. give them a go, I think you'll like them. They're also supposed to be good in the wet (for a sports tyre) but not tried that side of them yet.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Virt

Post by Virt »

I would also recommend the Metzeler M7RR's. The, quite frankly, best tyre I've ever used.

They are great in the wet, I've done long rides in pouring rain before and I didn't feel any need to ride differently. Heaps of grip all the time :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
budd

Post by budd »

if you are looking for a change from Pirelli or Metzeler then have look at the Avon 3D ultra, available in 3 specs, sport = sporty road,supersport = road-track, extremes = track-road, I can't say I've tried any myself (I'll stick with my supercorsa's)but a pal as just put some extremes on his BMW s1000rr and reckons they are as good as or better than the Metzler 7rr s linky
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/ ... supersport

maybe worth a look
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

Thanks (so far) for the input guys. Ill be checking out all your suggestions this evening. .....keep em com'in guys :wink:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv just put one of those maxxis diamond rears on and even after a track day im well chuffed and its lasting really wel..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I've used maxxis diamonds and didn't think well of them. I currently have m7rr fitted to the race bike and they are very good. Just keep your eye on the pressures if your on the track. It hurts when you don't lol.

On the road there great. Warm up quickly and grip extremely well. Haven't tried them in the wet but I've heard they are good in the wet too.

End of the day it's personal choice with tyres. What's good for one isn't necessarily good for another.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
popkat

Post by popkat »

Avons may grip and feel good but they haven't worked out how to make them last, they wear very quickly.

Maxxis are crap, the worst thing about them is the way the rear wears, they get a very pronounced flat in the centre and when you corner it's like tipping off the edge, a truly terrible tyre imo, they were cheap a couple of years ago but not any more, just why would you when there's so many better options.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Bridgestone T30 fitted recently after not being able to get Dunlop D 209 Sportmax Qualifiers.

Done about 500Klms so far and very stable comfortable neutral feeling tyre.

Can't comment about wet weather riding with them yet.

Look like they should wear well, time will tell!

Maybe worth a look.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Dunlop D 209 Sportmax Qualifiers. always been good on the Storm and a Fazer 1000
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
budd

Post by budd »

as a general rule of thumb you sacrifice grip for longevity and vice versa, re the Avons you'd expect the sport to out last the extreme but the extremes will likely provide more grip, it's horses for courses, I suppose the main consideration is intended use, supercorsas (sc versions) offer probably the most grip of all the track biased tyres but are a total waste of time for a daily driver eg they don't work in the wet and wear incredibly quickly (and they aren't cheap) each manufacturer makes a range of tyres covering the range tourer to trackday (or even road legal race tyre) the besy way to choose tyres is to understand your intended use and be realistic about your expectations, ie don't expect a sport tourer tyre to cope on a track day (well not for long anyway) and don't expect a hypersport / track day tyre to work well on a daily commute (again not for long).
I think in reality there isn't much to choose between the different brands when it comes to 'allrounder' tyres, after all they are designed to work over a wide ranch of conditions/temps, the problems arise when you go to the more focused tyres their performance envelope is much smaller and therefore performance falls off dramatically when you stray outside the optimum performance perimeters, I think for all round everyday riding a tyre from any of the premium brands would do the job
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Stick with what your using you can't better the Pirellis in my opinion :thumbup:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

popkat wrote:Had Rosso's on my last storm and I never felt great with them, it was the first time I'd tried Rosso's coming from Diablo's and Corsa's before which were great on all different bikes.
On my current storm I've put Metzeler M7RR's and I really like them, lots of confidence, no moments and they are lasting well. I know Metzeler and Pirelli are the same company but the M7's I would say sit between the Rosso and corsa but look to be lasting longer, they're a newer generation than the Rosso's.. give them a go, I think you'll like them. They're also supposed to be good in the wet (for a sports tyre) but not tried that side of them yet.
I rode M7RR on wet track and felt comfortable, no scary moments. On street in wet conditions, they are perfectly ok. These tyres just don´t like lower pressures from what I´ve observed.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

darrenmartin wrote:Hi all im looking to put new boots on the old girl tomorrow. Iv been sticking with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso's for the last couple of sets and iv got nothing but praise for all aspects. Was just curious as to what every one else goes for. Im in Norwich and there is a local place that does ride in ride out so that's a bonus. Any info or tips/advice will as always be greatfully received. Cheers all Daz (the Tango wagon)
Just a point Darren, you're asking for advice, but you're not tell us what type of riding you do, there are plenty of tyres out there that will do the job, as previously mentioned you can't have everything, generally less wear, less grip, more grip, more wear, so for anyone to give useful advice you need give more info on what you intend doing with the bike, anyway I have Dunlop Sportsmart2s on my FireStorm and also on my SP2, I find them an excellent all round tyre, and good in the wet too, I do rides out in the summer months, usually long ones, anything from 250 to 400 miles a day, I don't commute and I don't do track days.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

Fare point kev :wink: i think ill do as carmanbikes suggested and stick with the Pirelli's. Im lucky enough not to be narrowed on choice due to lack of funds and like i said in my initial post iv got nothing negative to say about them. Ill finish with a massive THANK YOU to every one that took the time to reply. It really is appreciated :thumbup: