Nice, quiet motorbikles

General Bike chat
Kev L

Nice, quiet motorbikles

Post by Kev L »

I know I am going to fly in the face of popular opinion here, but, I have slapped the baffles back in mine after years without them, and I'm quite enjoying the nice burbling exhaust note, Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
I don't know whether it's my poor old 56 year old ears or finally reaching maturity (puberty!) but it really is rather pleasant.
Anyway, off you go boys, insult away..................... :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Nice, quiet motorbikles

Post by firestorm_al »

The first thing I did when I got my current Falco was to source a set of standard exhausts and put them on :oops: Starting work at 6am and open pipes doesn't go down well with the neighborhood.

However, my Monster is running open race cans and an open clutch cover. Needless to say it doesn't get used for everyday commuting.

Al.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

Having just ridden a ZZR1400 for a week, with standard cans, coming back to my storm feels a bit ridiculous with the noise it makes. I do like it though, and it's nowhere near as quick as the ZZR so may as well sound fast!

I've only ridden the VTR once with standard cans, for a trackday. Kept them on for a few days after and it was actually quite nice... I ended up riding it harder because it didn't sound like I was going mad all the time, you had to really use it to get a decent sound. Didn't feel silly overtaking people either with my booming pipes announcing the whole thing, just quietly nipping round and getting on my way.

Anyway, the Arrows are staying :twisted:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

whenever I ride my bike after not riding for a month or two, it always seems crazy loud, but over time your ears adjust.
in central London it's always safer to be heard, but I can fully understand using baffles, still sounds loads better than standard.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

" Nice quiet motorbikes " Wash your mouth out Kev :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Before I parted with kermit I fitted the standard exhausts and enjoyed the ride more .
Then I got the bird with standard cans and it was bliss , now I have fitted the vipers with baffles to the bird it's great quiet and light ,
Think I'm getting old too !
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

load cans save live
let everyone know your coming
I know its a pain and sometimes I wish I had them more quite stealth mode
but I don`t know how many times these load cans have saved me getting knocked off, especially on roundabouts when people do not realise you go round a roundabout,
clue is in the title
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Yep, i hate to say it, but on long rides (sometimes short ones) that noise of the Storm can give me the shits.
But as pointed out, it has made my presence known before i arrive :)

I am a fan of the early morning ride, when no one is on the road, like, no one!
There is a small part of me that really wants a Electric Superbike for ultimate in Morning Stealth Rides
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''Loud pipes save lives...''

I beg to differ chaps.

I like my loud cans thank you very much but as I have to suffer a tin can for my commute,I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that on my commute every morn there are plenty of bikes heading my way & driving along the A2 you do not hear them until they go past.

Most modern cars are so well sound insulated that you can here bugger all out side with the windows up + the fact that most have the radio on adds to the issue.

Then you have the physics of it. The sound is projected backwards out of the rear of the bike so in theory its moving away from you on the approach.

Yeah you will hear somthing but its not that loud...Yes I know someones thinking 'I'll post that vid up of the H2R on the Island the other week, you could here that coming...'' Yep an unsilenced race bike at full chat in isolation, yep you will hear it...

However just to contradict myself the yoofs these days on their Yam R125 with loud pipes you can here them coming up behind you...

Still dont stop twats changing lanes in front of them tho...

Back to Kev's admision of baffeling up, sometimes cans sound better with the baffels in. So if your happy Kev go with it...No insults from me....

...for a change... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

So glad it isn't just me, I have put the baffles back in mine as when on a run there would be a 1/4 mile gap before the next bike....
I have thought about putting the standard pipes on, but thats as far as I get!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Kev L wrote:I know I am going to fly in the face of popular opinion here, but, I have slapped the baffles back in mine after years without them, and I'm quite enjoying the nice burbling exhaust note, Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
I don't know whether it's my poor old 56 year old ears or finally reaching maturity (puberty!) but it really is rather pleasant.
I don't get it???
Why go to all that trouble when you could have just switched your hearing aid off :crazy:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Pete.L wrote:
Kev L wrote:I know I am going to fly in the face of popular opinion here, but, I have slapped the baffles back in mine after years without them, and I'm quite enjoying the nice burbling exhaust note, Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
I don't get it???
Why go to all that trouble when you could have just switched your hearing aid off :crazy:

Pete.l
:lol:

Bit harsh Pete...

I SAID THATS A BIT HARSH PETE !

Yes next Tuesday dear...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

You know he loves it :D

I SAID, YOU KNOW HE LOVES IT :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

what are these baffles you talk about :eek2 .

i normally use the we 600 divvy to go to work on and when i get back on the storm it does kinda wake you up :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
stealthbomber

Post by stealthbomber »

Well my storm and sp1 are both running yoshi cans and are pretty loud and for me, I love the noise of a booming twin. Not so fond of an inline 4 with an open can, followed a harley through the limehouse link in central london today and that was bloody loud, not my thing, neither was the Victory space cruiser thing with the city slicker on board, horses for courses!
In the land of ham fisted, I am king