My theory on carb farts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
NZSpokes

My theory on carb farts

Post by NZSpokes »

Carb fart is a extreme lean condition. But its not solved by jetting. What I believe is going on is the slide or rather the vacuum under the slide spikes causing the slide to rise quickly. Thus the needle lifts rapidly and allows air to pass that has not been aspirated. EG no fuel lifts from the main circuit due to the drop in vacuum from the slide lifting. So bang it goes superlean, farts and stalls at times.

Its my theory and Im sticking to it. :lol:
Watty

Re: My theory on carb farts

Post by Watty »

So what's your theory on human farts mate :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I've heard a few different opinions on what causes this, but your thoughts on this are new to me.

The odd thing is, why do some Firestorm/Superhawk owners experience this, while others owners don't seem to get this problem at all,

Chris.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Watty wrote:So what's your theory on human farts mate :?
Well in my dog its how fast she eats her dinner. We got a special bowl with lumps in slows her down.

She can clear the room.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

sirch345 wrote:I've heard a few different opinions on what causes this, but your thoughts on this are new to me.

The odd thing is, why do some Firestorm/Superhawk owners experience this, while others owners don't seem to get this problem at all,

Chris.
This I cant answer but I do wonder if it has to do with atmospheric pressure and how worn carb components are. Air filter and how well it is sealed will play a big part.

Im happy to be proven wrong. I wonder if the bikes with the H wing have farts. my guess is they don't.
Watty

Post by Watty »

NZSpokes wrote:
Watty wrote:So what's your theory on human farts mate :?
Well in my dog its how fast she eats her dinner. We got a special bowl with lumps in slows her down.

She can clear the room.
:lol: :lol: :clap: I should get myself a lumpy bowl 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Ole Red a 98 F didnt carb fart at all...

Nue Red 02 F2 is chronic when warming up & still suffers at constant throttel at low speeds... :confused
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have to come back to this one with a clearhead. Bottle of Red has almost gone :beer: But basically I have another theory which I shall expalain. Basically to do with valve overlap period and the scavenging affect and the reason I believe Honda installed the (what we call) restrictor plates in the later models. And these problems arise because we have such great big fu***ng carbs and basic carbs at that. :lol: :lol: But strangely enough your theory is kinda relevant. FFS you wont believe how many times I have had to right ckick and correct my spelling. :lol: I cant be bothered anymore.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

Following on with this thread a friend of mine was at the TT the other week and her Storm farted and the next thing there was oil pissing out of the rear rocker cover seal. Are these farts strong enough to push that rubber seal out or would something else like a blocked breather cause this.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

My 72000km 1997 VTR doesn't fart at all under any running conditions. Running a clean K&N filter, well-balanced carbs, TPS set to 500 ohms but I haven't been into the carbs at all (and based on the rest of the bike, no-one else has either). The only fart I've ever heard (from the bike) was when I was blipping the throttle after reassembly and I'd forgotten to open the fuel tap.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
popkat

Post by popkat »

MacV2 wrote:
Nue Red 02 F2 is chronic when warming up & still suffers at constant throttel at low speeds... :confused

It wasn't bad when I had it, just the odd one in town, it was lumpy and a bit jerky for the first 5 miles but choke left slightly out cured that, after that it ran sweet.
Have you cleaned the carbs out and balanced them, I only say that because being low miles it may have a build up of old fuel hardened on the jets and through the small passage ways in the carbs, I'd say a good clean and some new pilot jets could make a difference or ultrasonic clean them, got to be worth a try.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote:
MacV2 wrote:

It wasn't bad when I had it, just the odd one in town, it was lumpy and a bit jerky for the first 5 miles but choke left slightly out cured that, after that it ran sweet.
Have you cleaned the carbs out and balanced them, I only say that because being low miles it may have a build up of old fuel hardened on the jets and through the small passage ways in the carbs, I'd say a good clean and some new pilot jets could make a difference or ultrasonic clean them, got to be worth a try.
Balanced OK..Havent cleaned them...yet...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Same here my f3 spluttered loads even with pair removal my old yellow 97 plate ran and felt much better to ride, I never got on with my late model storm after wanting one for a while in the end I sold it on and now looking forward to fun on the fighter :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Well I got 2 sets of carbs, completely different settings, one has k&N flter and dyno needles etc,
Both set I get carb farts, its a mystery,these bikes are weird :?
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

I want to try a X wing or H wing to see if it could help with this. But as Im currently on a mostly stock system Im not getting farts anyway.