CCT modifications?!?!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RQ

CCT modifications?!?!

Post by RQ »

Courtesy of the Blackbird site........... Seemingly the Bird suffers from a rattley CCT, so they found that the X-11 had a stronger one, with modded interiors...........

http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/f ... hp?t=11304
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
essexbloke

Post by essexbloke »

Blimey, they make it look so easy..........

i dunny have a clew when it comes to these things, but can the X-11 CCT be used as a direct replacement for the storm one? (ie no adjustments needed)

Is it really any better than the "modded" ones floating around (like i have fitted)

some questions to be responded to by the experts.......(not me then)
RQ

Post by RQ »

Did a bit more investigation on that matter, and one failing came up. The reason the X-11 is a better CCT is because the spring is stronger, not in durability, but in push strength. So the question then was "who had changed their cam chain since fitting the X-11?" and there was a few who had to, as the stronger spring had caused more wear on the chain, causing it to retire earlier! Take your pick of a bad lot..........
RQ.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I've been having a think about this and I'm not too sure if it's a good idea for the Storm without someone doing a bit of investigation.
Firstly: Phyical fit.
Is the plunger long enough? Will it fit to the original mountings ect?
Secondly:
Is it strong enough to handle the pressure from the VTR valve springs?
Thirdly: Spring tension how does it compair?

It certainly looks the same and the mounting points look like they have the same offset as the Storm but it's the third point I'm worried about.
Do you think if a Storm tensioner was put in a clamp and was allowed to unwind and press against a set of scales and then compair that reading to one done the same with an X-11 tensioner would suffice? Or am I being too simplistic?

Pete.l
RQ

Post by RQ »

The one that would make me think Pete, is if the travel is long enough. All grand and dandy when the chain doesn't need it, but when it's loose, and flapping, and the X-11 tensioner doesn't even reach the chain you could be in trouble!
RQ.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep!
Best bet is for someone to get hold of one of each and do a side by side comparrison.

Pete.l
Matthew

Not need to check

Post by Matthew »

Simple solution is just to replace CCTs before 16,000 miles. Then you can buy the stock item and have peace of mind.

Since this interval matches with spark plug change, it will only take an extra 20 minutes to fit new CCT's. Thats all it took me and at £ 26 per CCT its cheap insurance.

James