which coolant to use.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
agentpineapple

which coolant to use.

Post by agentpineapple »

I know it needs to be compatible with alloy and ethylene glycol based. and if being diluted, it needs to be with distilled water. but finding the right stuff is proving to be a pita.
has anyone got a link to a reasonably priced coolant.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Re: which coolant to use.

Post by popkat »

I use silkoline pro cool, it's got a different name now (I'll search for it) but pro cool still advertised, no mixing just pour it in.

* It's called Mag cool now, I think 3 litres is sufficient so about £18.00 ish. if you want cheap just go to Halfords and get any old antifreeze and mix it. I'd rather have quality stuff in mine though.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
954luca

Post by 954luca »

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine- ... p-990.html

£15.60 for 5 litres plus delivery I think £6, I normally buy 3-4 tubs, as it's the same postage cost regardless.

This is the stuff Honda now recommend for motorbikes, good price too, I've been using it for a while in a couple of my bikes. David silver spares also sell it, but they are way more expensive.

Its cheaper to get from a Honda car dealer, than it is a Honda bike dealer, my local Honda bike dealer wanted £29 for the exact same stuff.
darkember

Post by darkember »

I use Castrol GP
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Flush it and use the pink stuff available from every auto parts place - normally sold as 5 year life its OAT (organic acid technology). It's all the same stuff, some people just charge you more for it... :beer: Should be about £20 for 5 litres of concentrate.
Not what you think...
budd

Post by budd »

agentpineapple wrote:I know it needs to be compatible with alloy and ethylene glycol based. and if being diluted, it needs to be with distilled water. but finding the right stuff is proving to be a pita.
has anyone got a link to a reasonably priced coolant.
You can't just put any 'old coolant' in, as you say it needs to be ethylene glycol but it also needs to be silicate free, some coolants use silicates as a rust inhibitor but it can attack the water pump seals and it needs to be OAT (organic acid technology) and not HOAT (hybrid organic acid tech) , I use Comma Super long life red http://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehic ... s/view/299 it ticks all the boxes and is cheap, I got the concentrate because I use a lot of antifreeze when servicing cars and bikes and the concentrate works out better value but if it's a one off thing get the ready to use stuff and you don't need to worry about mixing it. Comma products tend to be available from Motor Factors, although Comma supply Halfords own brand stuff so I'd guess that Halfords own brand will be fine to, also Euro Car parts Triple QX Red is the correct spec, OAT and silicate free http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_866 and great value.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I've been running Engine Ice now for a few years and all is well. It is non-toxic and brings down temps too..... that's what will be going back into it when the new crank goes in.....

here ya go: http://www.engineice.com/
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Comma-Slc5l-S ... 3f4c50fc07
thanks for the replies gents, I think i'll go for the one listed above, decent price for 5ltrs..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

am i missing something cause i use water, always have
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

fabiostar wrote:am i missing something cause i use water, always have
from what I understand, plain water will cause the water channels too rust, I've seen pics of a badly corroded water pump because of it
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

any G48 spec coolant from trusted brand will do the job. Doesn´t matter if you buy ready to use coolant, or mix concentrate with water 50:50.
budd

Post by budd »

Stephan wrote:any G48 spec coolant from trusted brand will do the job. Doesn´t matter if you buy ready to use coolant, or mix concentrate with water 50:50.
G48 is silicate based and not suitable for many Jap engines, as the silicates can attack the water pump seals, and it's much wiser to use distilled water when mixing down from concentrate this stops limescale build up, neither are going to cause immediate problems or a catastrophic engine failure but it's the effects over time that cause issues much better to use the right product from the off.

I did quite a bit of research on this a couple of yrs ago and found that anti-freeze is a bit of a mine field, if I can find the link to my original thread I'll post it up it made quite interesting reading and highlighted the problems surrounding the various different spec coolants now available.

link:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 15#p349856
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

budd: thanks, good info, didn´t know that
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

plain water will cause the water channels too rust
and water expands when frozen which bursts pipes etc. Ethylene glycol also acts as a Summer coolant as well as stopping the water from freezing.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

interesting and informative thread this. :thumbup:

what is the volume of liquid required to fill a system??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.