possible front sprocket issue(now with video)

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
agentpineapple

possible front sprocket issue(now with video)

Post by agentpineapple »

should there be movement on the front sprocket, in and out movement, the type that lloydie likes... :wink:
there's a bad clonking niose from the front sprocket. the teeth on the sprocket seem fine. a new front doesn't cost much, so that's no biggie, but i'm trying to avoid having to replace the chain.... :roll:
i'm thinking the chains got tight spots... :(
Last edited by agentpineapple on Tue May 12, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Re: possible front sprocket issue

Post by lloydie »

In and out is fine as long as it's only a few mm .
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Take the chain off & soak it it diesel for a couple of days...Work those tight spots every now & then to free them up...If it works wipe off the excess & re-fit it...& re oil it...

If it's proper fubar then...

I do have a chain & sprocket set that came off The Wonky Donkey... IIRC it had a good half of the adjustment left on it when it came off...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

in an out OK
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

it's only a couple of mil, so it looks like it could be the chain, shame as I cleaned it up and it looks like it has loads of life in it, i'll pop out and get some diesel and give macs idea a go, but iirc you can't take the chain off when it's on an abba stand, or am I being a dunce :confused
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

agentpineapple wrote:it's only a couple of mil, so it looks like it could be the chain, shame as I cleaned it up and it looks like it has loads of life in it, i'll pop out and get some diesel and give macs idea a go, but iirc you can't take the chain off when it's on an abba stand, or am I being a dunce :confused
Yes...you are a dunce... :lol:

You can alter the stand to lift from the engine rather then the swing arm...Carl did it IIRC with some bits of wood under the stand don't know what he used for the adapters tho...

Personally I lift with straps to the rafters in the MacCave but you don't have that luxury do you...A step ladder or build a Wicky Gallows.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Is it possible to remove the chain without breaking it (or removing the swingarm...)?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yes simply remove the left footpeg hanger (and rear wheel) by ungoing the swing nut - then slip it off thanks to the VTR's frameless frame concept.

Remember to retorque back to spec the nut. Swing arm and spindle remains in place.
KermitLeFrog wrote:Is it possible to remove the chain without breaking it (or removing the swingarm...)?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
popkat

Post by popkat »

Check you wheel alignment as this can cause or exaggerate that noise.
But if it isn't that then IMO if it's making clonking noises around the front sprocket it's knackered, the teeth may look alright but they will be hooked, the rear will be worn too as well as the chain. I know your only selling the bike so you don't want to be spending too much. What price are you putting on it ? will a new chain and sprocket make it worth that much more, I think sell it and say it needs new c&s, the price you get I think will be the same regardless, the new owner can then get whichever kit/combination they prefer.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Is it possible to remove the chain without breaking it (or removing the swingarm...)?
Yes it is...

By getting the rear up off the ground, without a stand that is...I use two ratchet straps & hang it from the rafters of the MacCave... Then loosen the swingarm nut take that off so that you can remove the L/H front hanger.

If you look at it the you'll see that the hanger is what's in the way...

Once you have done that the chain can be taken off the front sprocket & un-looped around the swingarm.

So in short... Loosen all the bolts off first when bike is still on the floor, Ideally on a paddock stand. If you are changing the front sprocket you will need to use the rear wheel & a nice bit of timber or a bar to lock up the drive train/gearbox to undo the front sprocket nut...You will need to do this with the chain still on.

So take off your clutch leaver ! Take off the front sprocket cover. Loosen off the front sprocket nut. Loosen off the swing arm pivot nut. Take off the front L/H foot rest/gear change arm. Take out the rear wheel. Now get the rear of the bike suspended up off the paddock stand. Chain should now be able to come away. If just cleaning clean it. If changing it throw it away. Remove Front sprocket & whilst its off clean up that area...Put the new one on & hand tighten the retaining nut. Fit the new chain. You can now replace the Sprocket cover, the left front hanger & the rear wheel having replaced the new rear sprocket of course & check your cush drive whilst your there. Lower it off & get it back on the paddock stand. Now go round & tighten all the nuts to the correct torque...

Now put all your tools away, wash up & go for a ride... :thumbup:

Rear sprocket replacement torque up before you put the wheel in...IMO if the chain & sprockets is being replaced then put a new cush drive in as well.

Just to clarify something when I do the hoisting via ratchet strap thing, I put the bike on a paddock stand, thread up the straps & only ratchet up so they are just tight. You do not want to lift the bike off the stand !

When you take the stand away the bike will drop a little, this is good ! The straps will hold it OK don't worry. Always use two as with one it will swing about to easily...Trust me I know this through experience... :lol:

When you are done put the paddock stand back under & lift it. The straps will slacken off...I tried dropping the bike by just loosening the straps...It didn't go well & was a bit dicey & nearly led to a dropped bike... 8O This way works well, done it a few times now.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Unless you have fitted a brace on the arm.

I have a new rear sprocket, and a front with only 100 miles on it, both standard gearing, so if you find a cheap chain, there you go.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

tony.mon wrote:Unless you have fitted a brace on the arm.

I have a new rear sprocket, and a front with only 100 miles on it, both standard gearing, so if you find a cheap chain, there you go.
I might be contacting you mate.... :thumbup:
the teeth on the front sprocket look ok, no hooking what so ever. same on the rear, but the clonking noise is very bad, easily heard over the sound on the engine, you can't go more than 10/15mph without thinking some things going to break... :(
I really think it's the chain that got over tightened, and I assume this would cause tight spots. and it's that what are making the bad noises.... :thumbdown:
so is it possible to chase a spindle or bolt thru the frame/rearsets bolt hole, thus not needing to suspend the bike from rafters?
or will the abbastand still be in the way?
i'll have another look at it today.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

agentpineapple wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Unless you have fitted a brace on the arm.

I might be contacting you mate.... :thumbup:
the teeth on the front sprocket look ok, no hooking what so ever. same on the rear, but the clonking noise is very bad, easily heard over the sound on the engine, you can't go more than 10/15mph without thinking some things going to break... :(
I really think it's the chain that got over tightened, and I assume this would cause tight spots. and it's that what are making the bad noises.... :thumbdown:
so is it possible to chase a spindle or bolt thru the frame/rearsets bolt hole, thus not needing to suspend the bike from rafters?
or will the abbastand still be in the way?
i'll have another look at it today.
With any type of stand it will be in the way of getting the chain off. Unless you split the chain. Getting the rear lifted sans a stand is the only way...

Surely you can snaffle a step ladder of someone you know ? A bit of scaffold pole & two ratchet straps & Bobs your uncle.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

no rafters here i'm afraid, or step ladders, and I really doubt my neighbours have anything worth asking for. I do have a large two piece ladder, i'll check to see if it can be put to use maybe it will reach from one garden fence to the other..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
the only other option is the plank of wood and putting the abba stand on the frame bolt, iirc carl made a fitment out of a socket wrapped with electrical tape, not sure what the size was, again i'll check later today, where is carl when you need him..... :roll: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote:
Yes it is...

snip
Super instructions. Many thanks.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)