thinking of selling my VTR

General Biker Banter
Richy85

thinking of selling my VTR

Post by Richy85 »

Don't want to do it as it's hands down the most fun and 'me' bike in terms of personality I've ever owned.

But... I just can't do any serious riding on it as I have the wrists and hands of a 90 year old arthritic woman... With rickets. :evil:

Got carpal tunnel and RSI related sh1t so need something more upright where i'm not lent over so much on my wrists (and there's quite a lot of me TO lean over :shh: ). Thinking something along the lines of an ST1100 or a triumph tiger etc is going to be my next bike.

Riding the VTR is alright for 20 mins but then my hands go full on numb, cant move them and get crippling pins and needles. Doesnt make for particularly fun riding :thumbdown: :problem:

I havent had the VTR that long but it's grown on me so much I'm so relucant to see it go. And she's only a baby with low mileage and is the best condition bike I think I've ever had as well. :cry:

But I was just thinking if anyone on here is interested in taking her off my hands then at least I'd know she's gone to a good home.

grumpyfrog

Re: thinking of selling my VTR

Post by grumpyfrog »

try someone's with the flat bar conversation. transformation is amazing.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

how about a flat bar conversion??

bigtwinthing or Amq will tell you how to do it :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Richy85

Post by Richy85 »

What do flat bars do that will help?

I've tried bar risers to raise the bars up a bit but those didn't help.
It's not just the VTR that kills my wrists though, pretty much any sporty sort of bike where i'm lent over gives me gripes.

Didnt used to be so bad but it's getting silly now and I don't want to keep making it worse.

But I'll give anything a go.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Quick Action Throttle so there is less twist on the wrist. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Renthal mod, is amazing and allows me to ride for miles, did 570 on the Stag run last year with no probs, cost is about £235.oo and well worth it, i can show you pics if you need them. I seriously don't think you will get much better after spending the £235 . Ive had a tiger 955i. Comfy but so so soft suspension and they drink oil. Not a patch on the storm.

However if your selling, my mate needs a new bike so let me know. History and milage etc.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I have had a Pan (ST1100 ex police) and ulna tunnel . the pan was the sort of bike that you looked at and found it very difficult to find anything to get exited about. But it was just sooooo useful. i ended up riding it most the time and the vtr became a play thing. You could ride the pan all day and then pick up the shopping on the way home, or camp in one of the panniers over night. I found the handling adequate for me on the road but could eat a front tyre in 3500 miles if you got a bit randy with it. The interlinked abs brakes are epic. I had to do an emergency stop, the sort were you have already pointed the bike at the preferred impact location, but pulled up about 20 feet short.

The kids and the wife (usually one at a time) were happy to sit on the back for hours on end as well. It would cruise in 3 figures, 2 up for as far as you wanted.

The down side with the pan was the space it took up and the weight. Easy loose your footing when shifting about.

I actually test road a triumph explorer and whilst everything was more refined the overall ride didnt seem worth the extra £10k over what i paid for the pan.

The ulna / carpal tunnel is worth getting sorted and the surgery aint that bad. Mine got a lot better and with some stretching exercises now and then i have kept it at bay. But even on my 20 minute commute i get the pins and needles on the VTR when the going is slow (not an issue when cruising).

All that said when i was stuck for money and had to choose 1 bike, i kept the VTR. But that was based on the hooligan value, i.e. the odd track day sort of thing.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

set of renthals bolted to the top yoke and you wont believe its the same bike.. for all it would cost its worth a try.. i simply couldnt ride mine without them..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

If you like the character/engine of the VTR get your self a Varadero :D

I too am getting a bit too old & lardy for bending over fuel tanks in a constant press up position :lol:

What Stuart mentions about the Pan can also be said about the Varadero, personally I think its a bit of a hoot, with buckets of character.

Make sure you get the old carby though so you can do what I am doing :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I can reckoned the renthal conversion too. Brings the bars up to similar level to hornet or super duke.. All day comfort and still a faring to keep the wind off.... And still great for hooligan value.

If you are anywhere near the West Midlands you can try mine
AMcQ
GoSlow

Post by GoSlow »

Mine has a flat bar conversion and it's totally different to standard, I had a Thunderace which crippled by wrists and the 'storm is absolutely no problems at all :D Do tend to find I occasionally stick my leg out like I'm motocrossing though! :wtf:
The older I get, the faster I was!
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Varastorm wrote:If you like the character/engine of the VTR get your self a Varadero :D

I too am getting a bit too old & lardy for bending over fuel tanks in a constant press up position :lol:

What Stuart mentions about the Pan can also be said about the Varadero, personally I think its a bit of a hoot, with buckets of character.

Make sure you get the old carby though so you can do what I am doing :thumbup:
a val with some luggage carrying stuff would make me a happy bunny for sure
Richy85

Post by Richy85 »

Hmm definitely something to consider...

Anyone got any pics please?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Plates out now but still a bit wonky...

I have an F2 so the bars are slightly higher, no real probs, was OK on the 800 miles Wales weekender last year... :thumbup:

Now me elbow on the other hand... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Richy85 wrote:Hmm definitely something to consider...

Anyone got any pics please?
Have a look here for my conversion

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p240015
AMcQ