Pre-2007 bikes £12.50 a day 'ultra-low emissions zone'

General Bike chat
Wicky

Pre-2007 bikes £12.50 a day 'ultra-low emissions zone'

Post by Wicky »

Another reason to avoid the city and enjoy the countryside as VTRs aren't welcome. I'll spend the £12.50 I save by having a full english and fart the equivalent emissions! Image

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult ... tcmp=26434
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.wilde1

Re: Pre-2007 bikes £12.50 a day 'ultra-low emissions zone'

Post by tony.wilde1 »

oh god.another cash cow easy money making scheme,next thing will be shoe tax,due to wearing out the footpaths!! :thumbdown:
ImageImageImageImage
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I won't be visiting carl and vice versa anytime soon then....... :(
this is a piss take, you can't tell me a pre 2007 bike that takes up the quarter of the space of an average sized car, is really going to be that bad on emissions, take an average journey across London, 4 bikes do the trip, that's the equivalent of one big-ish car, but normally there's only one person in the car, were as there'd be at least 4 riders on the bikes. ok the 4 pre 2007 bikes will put out more combined emissions, but they will do the journey in less than half the time, the big-ish car will sit in so much traffic, that it's emissions will surely be a lot worse.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

I don't think it's fair to charge a bike the same as a car, they should charge on the size of the vehicle and likely level of pollutants. but bikes under 13 years old will be ok. Not good news if your in a diesel car/van, anything over 5 years old gets charged. For transit size diesels it's 4 years old.

It good they're reducing the pollution though, it was horrible when I was despatch riding, hot summer days were the worst.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

NO...... they not introducing bikes are they :eek2 :eek2 this is really really bad news. I wont be going anywhere if this is the case. They are taking the ultimate piss. Time for dirty plates me thinks.

2023 it says so we have a while yet. Hopefully by then I will have moved out of London. If not I will get a newer bike. Pisstaking b8stard..... whoever came up with this idea I hope they are hung by their testicles or nipples depending on whether they are male or female.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Don't hold back Carl :lol: although I can see why anyone would be annoyed if they live in the ultra low emission zones.
Is this another attempt to force more of Joe public out of the city so more rich people can move in :?:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Don't hold back Carl :lol:
Oh believe me I did hold back. I had to delete what I originally wrote. :roll:
Is this another attempt to force more of Joe public out of the city so more rich people can move in :?:
Now that's an interesting theory. Still....it's the best place for the homeless to hang out though as it always a couple of degrees warmer in London. So if the rich do move in then they can mix with the slums that are building up with the lack of affordable housing and immigration.

==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
Don't hold back Carl :lol:
Oh believe me I did hold back. I had to delete what I originally wrote. :roll:
:thumbup: I'd be furious too if I lived in the actual U/L/E Zone Carl :?:
cybercarl wrote:
Now that's an interesting theory. Still....it's the best place for the homeless to hang out though as it always a couple of degrees warmer in London. So if the rich do move in then they can mix with the slums that are building up with the lack of affordable housing and immigration.

That sounds fair enough to me :wink:
popkat wrote:I don't think it's fair to charge a bike the same as a car, they should charge on the size of the vehicle and likely level of pollutants.
I fully agree with that :thumbup:
agentpineapple wrote:I won't be visiting carl and vice versa anytime soon then....... :(
this is a piss take, you can't tell me a pre 2007 bike that takes up the quarter of the space of an average sized car, is really going to be that bad on emissions, take an average journey across London, 4 bikes do the trip, that's the equivalent of one big-ish car, but normally there's only one person in the car, were as there'd be at least 4 riders on the bikes. ok the 4 pre 2007 bikes will put out more combined emissions, but they will do the journey in less than half the time, the big-ish car will sit in so much traffic, that it's emissions will surely be a lot worse.
Some very good points there Marty :thumbup: It is the vehicles sitting in traffic with the engines running that create more pollution in that particular area, that and tall buildings around and/or trees as well which help to keep the pollution in a confined space make it even worse.

They did a survey down here recently to see how much pollution was being created by road vehicles. They found one of the worst areas which was well above what they classify as a safe level was on a hill with traffic-lights at the top, there is also trees both sides of the road which (as I mentioned above) made matters worse apparently.

You would think in this day and age vehicles could be run on a much less pollutant fuel than crude oil by products. To me electric vehicles are not the way forward while they need to be charged up from a mains electricity supply, you're just pushing the pollution from the vehicle to the electricity plant.
When Electric Cars, or any vehicle come to that can generate enough power to recharge their own batteries as they go, then IMHO they will be fit for purpose :!:

Chris.