Haynes manuals

General Biker Banter
BrianC

Haynes manuals

Post by BrianC »

Does anyone agree that haynes manuals gave got worse over the years

When I was fixing cars years ago there used to be decent photos and good line diagrams etc

Having bought the manual for my storm mist of the photos are very dark and in some cases you can't see a damned thing - and also a real lack of schematics

Very disappointed

Brian
carmanbikes

Re: Haynes manuals

Post by carmanbikes »

Try the Honda workshop manual on a CD you can get it off the net for a few pound and is a lot better or if you want to borrow mine you can do I am only in Wigan and I am going to Leyland one day next week I could drop it off :thumbup:
bsabloke

Post by bsabloke »

The firestorm owners group, on facebook, has all the files at the top of the home page.
I know not eveyones cup of tea. But free to join.
:thumbup: :D
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Yes indeed, hayne's manual are only good as a companion to an official workshop manual.

If you can get one ( I looked on EBAY for you ) then snap it up, I always buy an official service manual for any bike I get, Harley Davidson manuals are the best I have had.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

StormingHonda wrote:Yes indeed, hayne's manual are only good as a companion to an official workshop manual.

If you can get one ( I looked on EBAY for you ) then snap it up, I always buy an official service manual for any bike I get, Harley Davidson manuals are the best I have had.

are you saying the manuals handle well! :lol: only joking, if i get fatter, have a tattoo and can lean ( careful Lloydie) i will get one. ( New Forest Chapter etc etc Whats a chapter!) :lol: int it in a boook ( say in a northern accent for effect)
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

bigtwinthing wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:Yes indeed, hayne's manual are only good as a companion to an official workshop manual.

are you saying the manuals handle well! :lol: only joking, if i get fatter, have a tattoo and can lean ( careful Lloydie) i will get one. ( New Forest Chapter etc etc Whats a chapter!) :lol: int it in a boook ( say in a northern accent for effect)
lol I'll have whatever your smoking. :lol:

The Harley manuals are pretty idiot proof, sadly Harley owners come in two flavours, one who join HAG and buy a new one on finance every year and couldn't tell one end of a spanner from the other and the other kind of owners who really know their stuff when it comes to mechanics of Harley's.

I have had a lot of manuals, the Harley ones are well written, have good diagrams and pretty much hold your hand through the processes, you can even buy a parts manual which has brilliant exploded diagrams of parts.

Having said that other manufacturer manuals pretty much dump all over Haynes and Clymer isn't too shabby.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Hello carman

Can you point me in the right direction to find a proper storm manual out there on the net.

Also if you'd like to come over anytime you'd be welcome

Brian
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Look in the workshop knowledgebase for the downloadable PDF (searchable) of the VTR1000F Honda Service Manual.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks wicky

This forum is the real business - one of the reasons I decided yo buy a storm to compliment by 98 blade

Thanks

Brian
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

StormingHonda wrote:

The Harley manuals are pretty idiot proof, sadly Harley owners come in two flavours, one who join HAG and buy a new one on finance every year and couldn't tell one end of a spanner from the other and the other kind of owners who really know their stuff when it comes to mechanics of Harley's.

I have had a lot of manuals, the Harley ones are well written, have good diagrams and pretty much hold your hand through the processes, you can even buy a parts manual which has brilliant exploded diagrams of parts.

Having said that other manufacturer manuals pretty much dump all over Haynes and Clymer isn't too shabby.

Yeah but they have to be good Jay...they get used an awful lot... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I personally don't think Haynes workshop manuals are bad for the money, just don't use them on our Firestorms for CCT (cam chain tensioner) removals :)

In answer to your question Brian, I can't say if the newer ones are any worse then the older ones, as I have not had the need to buy any for a good number of years.
As for the Harley ones mentioned, I'm guessing they are not cheap, but then if are as good as StorminHonda says, it will be money well spent if you are a Harley owner.

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Does anyone agree that haynes manuals gave got worse over the years
Yes totally agree and I shall tell you why. It started back in the IIRC late 80's / early 90's when they changed the formatting, layout of the content. Not only that but they seemed to be aimed even more so at the consumer based market and took some of the more pro info out. They are OK if you want pictures, and the wiring diagrams are good. They are also good for specs like torques, clearances and fluid quantity's. Juts don't always believe in what they say and double check against a proper workshop manual. And don't follow their how to's by the letter as they will get you doing silly things like draining the cooling system to remove the carbs, which is totally unnecessary and will only cost more time and money. So IMO they are a great reference guide to go alongside a proper workshop manual and that is about as far as it goes.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

MacV2 wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:

Yeah but they have to be good Jay...they get used an awful lot... :wink:
Yeah I suppose :lol:

The truth of Harley's are the modern ones are actually pretty good when it comes to reliability but suffer from the same thing that other manufacturers suffer from and thats crappy paint.

Older Harleys are pretty bullet proof, the thing is stuff goes wrong with them but its usually really stupid little things that irritate rather than cost a fortune.

If you buy a Vintage Harley like an iron head or such, your asking for trouble the AMF years were bad.
Virt

Post by Virt »

They're shocking, doesn't even tell me how to remove the tank without spilling fuel everywhere :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Virt wrote:They're shocking, doesn't even tell me how to remove the tank without spilling fuel everywhere :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Siphon it first :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk