standard cans or scorpion baffle wanted

Moderator: VTRDark

chaz

standard cans or scorpion baffle wanted

Post by chaz »

friend is having a problem starting his storm. only starts with easy start.
having read a few posts on the forum, Im wondering if fitting standard cans might improve the problem. have swapped the carbs but not much difference although they are better than the ones original.
he has a baffle missing so looking for either another baffle for the scorpion cans or a cheap (free) pair of standard cans to try . dont mind what condition as long as solid .

sold my spares a year ago as didnt need them!!!
Ckennedy

Re: standard cans or scorpion baffle wanted

Post by Ckennedy »

Sounds to me like it's a bit more than swapping cans. One of his issues will be that he is using easy start, it sounds daft but engines get addicted to it and won't start without it after a while. Try posting in the workshop section with the symptoms and I'm sure we will come up with some ideas
chaz

Post by chaz »

have posted in workshop, but I think we have covered most things to change or replace apart from cans I think changing to a K&N filter will use more fuel , and as new carbs dont think its them as same result. possible back pressure lack is latest theory
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Fair enough. I'm sure there's a set of standards out there in need of a home. Can you not just try the scorpions without the baffles? That isn't really going to make a difference to wether it starts or not.
chaz

Post by chaz »

yes, tried without the remaining baffle before .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Those carbs I sent you will run with open race cans (I know as they did with my quills )
How old are the plugs ?
What plugs are they ?
Has it got good spark ?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You are on the wrong track, my friend.
It's not cans, back pressure etc. they may make a slight difference in full power running, or even tickover. But it won't stop the engine starting normally, or fairly normally.
So these questions need answering:
1. Is the bike's starter motor spinning properly?
2. What's the measured voltage at the battery while trying to start it?
3. Is there a strong spark at the plugs? (ignore Haynes bollox re damaging the ecu with the plug out- just keep the outer touching the head...)
4. Does one cylinder fire before the other? (this is a giveaway that you have a coil, lead plug cap or plug issue)
5. Is the choke working ok? (cables not damaged/stuck/pulled out at the joining device that turns one cable into two, under the airbox)
6. Have you tried starting it with jump leads attached form a car battery or similarly sized battery?

Answer these simple questions and we'll have it licked, unless it's a battery loose terminal problem, in which case I'm not licking it, you can make your own choices.

It ain't nuffink to do with cans, back pressure, or, as you have swapped carbs for a known good set, carbs.
But have these carbs been known to run properly on another bike?
If so, carbs can be ruled out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
chaz

Post by chaz »

so far Ive updated below.
will have another look tomorrow for other points
tony.mon wrote:You are on the wrong track, my friend.
It's not cans, back pressure etc. they may make a slight difference in full power running, or even tickover. But it won't stop the engine starting normally, or fairly normally.
So these questions need answering:
1. Is the bike's starter motor spinning properly? yes spins ok
2. What's the measured voltage at the battery while trying to start it?
3. Is there a strong spark at the plugs? (ignore Haynes bollox re damaging the ecu with the plug out- just keep the outer touching the head...) plugs were changed recently
4. Does one cylinder fire before the other? (this is a giveaway that you have a coil, lead plug cap or plug issue)
5. Is the choke working ok? (cables not damaged/stuck/pulled out at the joining device that turns one cable into two, under the airbox) yes
6. Have you tried starting it with jump leads attached form a car battery or similarly sized battery? using my sealey starter /charger

Answer these simple questions and we'll have it licked, unless it's a battery loose terminal problem, in which case I'm not licking it, you can make your own choices. terminals tight

It ain't nuffink to do with cans, back pressure, or, as you have swapped carbs for a known good set, carbs.
But have these carbs been known to run properly on another bike? yes, lloydies
If so, carbs can be ruled out.
chaz

Post by chaz »

lloydie wrote:Those carbs I sent you will run with open race cans (I know as they did with my quills )
How old are the plugs ?
What plugs are they ?
Has it got good spark ?
carbs are better than we had, less play in the slides and good diaphragms. plugs are a couple of weeks old and iridium not sure of number.
spark was good last time i looked
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Lets keep this to the Baffles wanted. Do you still want them Chaz?

Starting issues thread is now here.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
chaz

Post by chaz »

he only has the one baffle so suppose he should have the other to balance up.