Its that time of the year for electrics.

General Biker Banter
StormingHonda

Its that time of the year for electrics.

Post by StormingHonda »

I recently bought a ZX6R ( as some of you know ) one of the things that came with it was a Datatool alarm and a bloody old one to be boot, I don't know what it is about Winter, but its that time of the year when batteries and electrical stuff goes wrong and to 7.

The alarms being playing up for a couple of weeks but I assumed it was the battery, you know one of the batteries that no except Maplin seem to stock.

Anyway Sunday on the way home I decided to fill up with petrol, paid and then came back to the bike to go home, yes you guessed it the poxy alarm wouldn't disarm, no familiar chip noise, nothing...

The luckiest part was that it was within a mile from home so I decided to push the bike home, only to discover the hill is a bit steeper than I thought and I should have stayed at the garage, I belled the AA and sure enough 40 mins later he turned up and set about working on my bike, I'll give him his due he really tried every trick in the book to get the sod working, he admitted defeat and called in the tow bar man, at this time the sun had gone down and jack frost set about taking a big dump of frostiness on everything, I then felt that staying out of much longer would probably result in my death that would rival Jack Nickleson in the shinning.

So being the big hard, rufty tufty bearded biker that I am I went home and grabbed my car then spent an hour in the warm round the corner keeping an eye on the bike in case some desperate scrote tried to add a Cat X to the list of CAT that was on the bike.

Is it just me or do Datatools have a splendid habit of dying and leaving you stranded.

The next step is to rip the bugger out and hit it with a hammer.
lloydie

Re: Its that time of the year for electrics.

Post by lloydie »

Use a big hammer :thumbup: .
At least you wasn't hours away from home with no phone signal
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

lloydie wrote:Use a big hammer :thumbup: .
At least you wasn't hours away from home with no phone signal
I know what you mean, although I did struggle to find the silver lining at the time.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

One of them silver suits would of kept you warm :lol:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

had a bike alarm once , don't want another :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I had one fitted too once, never again.

Find a good standard loom off EBay & toss the other one in the bin. :thumbup:

There is no other way, as the alarm wiring is spliced into the loom. :thumbdown:

I tried to remove one once, 3-4 hours later I gave up. I had got rid of the alarm but it had left its host dead.

EBay £30 loom to the rescue and all was good again, if your lucky you might get one with spare RR & relays too :thumbup:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

After 2 or 3 years, all they are good for is getting you stranded when you least expect it (oh wait!! You've been there, done that 8O )
Cut the bugger off and have done with it. If some one really wants your bike they'll just bundle it away in a van and it'll be gone. Buy a heafty looking chain and hopefully the thieving scumbags will pick on more easier looking prey :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
pat

Post by pat »

trace all the wires from the alarms "blackbox" chop them off the set fire to the alarm,bloody horrid things...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

trace all the wires from the alarms "blackbox" chop them off the set fire to the alarm,bloody horrid things...
Paying particular attention to where the ignition cut off has been enabled. this could be taken from the ECU, coils or even the ignition switch itself. This will have most likely been cut and the alarm connected at either end rather than a wire spliced into it so will need re-connecting.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside