Knees don't like the Storm

General Bike chat
Troutman

Knees don't like the Storm

Post by Troutman »

Firstly...I love my Firestorm, it makes me love motorcycling more than ever but unfortunately my knees just can't cope with being bent double for more than an hour and therefore it is with much regret that I am looking to replace the VTR for something more comfortable.
My bike
I don't know why my knees suffer so much, 6ft, 31" inseam ,15.5stone. fit and healthy 44yrs old, do loads of cycling.
After trying out a custom seat I had made to raise my elbow height this year I really hoped I had found the solution but alas it made little if any difference. It's not my wrists as most people find, they are fine especially when at speed as the weight is taken right off them, it's just lugging my feet onto the pegs after stopping for lights etc.
So what to replace the VTR with? That engine is fantastic, I have only ever had singles and twins but would push to a Triumph triple if needs be. My budget would be approx £4k. Naked bikes are fine as I need to slow down sometimes.
So far I have narrowed it down to :
Aprilia Tuono 1000 (slightly too mental for a 44yr old)
Triumph Speed Triple 955 (same as above , strange front lights)
Triumph Tiger 1050 ( a bit soulless)
Ducati Monster S2R (95hp air cooled 992cc) or S4R (113hp water cooled 996cc)
Ducati ST4s (50yr old + tourer)
The Monster is a bike I have never really looked at as I thought it looked too low at the back and I am thinking the knee angle might be the same as the VTR but it's top of the list just now as I have always wanted a Ducati.
The Triumphs are brilliant bikes and fab engines but not too sure, the Tuono is more "headbanger" if you know what I mean.
I would keep the Storm if I could but I can't see a way to make my legs straighten up slightly.Any ideas and has anyone ridden any of these bikes to compare with.
bsabloke

Re: Knees don't like the Storm

Post by bsabloke »

What kit are you wearing for riding? It does make a big difference to your comfort. 8O
Most comfortable (on knees & ankles) when i wear codura jacket & trousers.
1 piece leathers always most uncomfortable. Put it down to having leathers inside the boots. not able to try them outside. :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

After surgery on my left leg a couple of years back I struggled to bend my knee with the staples - I was able by fitting a Kawasaki footpeg to drop the gear change peg by an inch or so, and continue riding. Not sure it would also work on the right (brake) side as the pipe and brake lever doesn't seem to have room for similar gains.

Yeti in Surrey is 6ft a lot (close to 7ft?) and his VTRs have rearsets!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

would flat bar conversion or rearsets help ??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

I fitted Buell XB drop pegs and it makes a huge improvement. Inch down and back.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Wicky wrote:After surgery on my left leg a couple of years back I struggled to bend my knee with the staples - I was able by fitting a Kawasaki footpeg to drop the gear change peg by an inch or so, and continue riding. Not sure it would also work on the right (brake) side as the pipe and brake lever doesn't seem to have room for similar gains.

It's quite possible to retrofit a pair of GSXR or CBR rear sets onto the VTR... Makes for comfy riding, with all the stompy bits in the correct positions...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
geodude

Post by geodude »

The Tuono is exactly what you need. It's only mental if you want it ti be ;)

At least give one a go :)
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

bsabloke wrote:What kit are you wearing for riding? It does make a big difference to your comfort. 8O
Most comfortable (on knees & ankles) when i wear codura jacket & trousers.
1 piece leathers always most uncomfortable. Put it down to having leathers inside the boots. not able to try them outside. :thumbup:
Tried with draggin jeans and Cordura jacket but feel vulnerable and no better really.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

NZSpokes wrote:I fitted Buell XB drop pegs and it makes a huge improvement. Inch down and back.
I'll look into that..thanks
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

lumpyv wrote:would flat bar conversion or rearsets help ??
I was under the impression rearsets went back and up for a more aggressive position.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Tweety wrote:
Wicky wrote:After surgery on my left leg a couple of years back I struggled to bend my knee with the staples - I was able by fitting a Kawasaki footpeg to drop the gear change peg by an inch or so, and continue riding. Not sure it would also work on the right (brake) side as the pipe and brake lever doesn't seem to have room for similar gains.

It's quite possible to retrofit a pair of GSXR or CBR rear sets onto the VTR... Makes for comfy riding, with all the stompy bits in the correct positions...
Which CBR? Fireblade? Any articles on this anywhere?
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

geodude wrote:The Tuono is exactly what you need. It's only mental if you want it ti be ;)

Yeah I know, I really like them but it's getting a shot on one for an hour or two before buying is the tricky thing.
geodude

Post by geodude »

Troutman wrote:
geodude wrote:The Tuono is exactly what you need. It's only mental if you want it ti be ;)

Yeah I know, I really like them but it's getting a shot on one for an hour or two before buying is the tricky thing.
What's your location?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

geodude wrote:
Troutman wrote:

What's your location?
Scotland (Borders). There is a shop near Edinburgh that has one so I might go and see if I can ride it when the weather improves.
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

found these on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... 0902396015?

Anyone tried fitting them, I have just been to look at my pegs and there is not much clearance downwards because of the link pipe.