Keep off the VTR today... Storm brewing..

General Biker Banter
Saintsman27

Keep off the VTR today... Storm brewing..

Post by Saintsman27 »

Yes the First bad weather " Storm " slaps us all today ..." Gonzalo " will
leave its mark no doubt later on .. keep off the roads I say leave the
the two wheeled " Firestorm " alone .. take care everyone :thumbup:
VTRDark

Re: Keep off the VTR today... Storm brewing..

Post by VTRDark »

There's danger on the edge of town, Ride the King's highway, Weird scenes inside the gold mine , Ride the highway West, baby......

Or should there be a Rider on a Storm. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Doors opening and closing? :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

We're getting battered up here in Aberdeenshire at the moment. Bloody South Americans and their Hurricanes.

Last night was a pretty sleepless night, with me diving up to the window every time I heard a loud clatter. Thankfully, every bang on the road was a wheelie bin going over (it was bin night). Then, I was waiting for a fully laden wheelie bin to flip and smack into the side of the VTR. Thankfully, it never happened.

This morning was worse (wind wise) and it's meant to get stronger later today. :(

So - panic situation now. I don't have a garage. I don't have a shed. My house only allows for on street parking, and as it's nest to the sea (well, about 40 yards away), the wind seems to funnel up the street and acts like a wind tunnel. Not good for a bike under a cover. Despite lashing the new Oxford Rainex cover down with bungees to take up all the billowing, it was no good. I stood and watched the bike get blown backwards 1 foot on the side-stand. I thought that was it. All over. Bike gone down. But nope.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sod this fer a joke. It's doing me ticker no favours. Think think....who's got a garage? Started phoning heaps of folk.

Nope. No room at the inn. Not even for 1 night. Miserable buggers. And that's the last time I help them out. They have PLENTY room in their lock-ups, it's just they can't be arsed going out in this. 2 folk I know are bike dudes, and have a huge lock up, with just their bike and a shitload of tools. And it's still "sorry mate". :evil:

Racking my few brain cells, I thought of the disused Memorial Stone Works here in the town. Probably sounded like an ass, waffling why I was calling (not wanting his business, never used them before, and now, out of the blue, I need help - Urgently. And the guys not into bikes at all.

Yes he said - no problem. He'll send a guy round in the Jeep with a set of keys to unlock the gates, and then I can put it in a secure building overnight. :thumbup:

Uncovering the bike outside the house was not fun at all, trying to grab handfuls like gathering a parachute in record time.

Riding the bike to the place of storage was erm...interesting. I've ridden in the wind before, many a time, but this I think was the worst one yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------

But - I can rest easy now, and get some sleep tonight. Me VeeTeerrrrr will be safe in this wind. I wasn't allowed to keep any keys, and I've to call him tomorrow when it all dies down, and get them back out to open up again.

I asked how much for the "overnight" fee - and he said nothing - as long as it's just the one night. (Had to sign a disclaimer if anything happens to the bike, he assumes no responsibility).

It's sort of restored my Faith in humans for a bit, that some folk out there feel your concern and are willing to help a total stranger out.

Right then. Time for a coffee and a proper sit down. No more diving up to the window!

:Dancing3:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

glad that you found 1 good Samaritan out there :thumbup:
AMcQ
Auto Sol

Post by Auto Sol »

It's fine here no wind not a cloud in the sky at 17:50 and cooling down from about eighty
here in Paphos :wave:

:beer: :beer:
Never trust Atoms they make up everything
TheGingerBeardMan

AMCQ46 wrote:glad that you found 1 good Samaritan out there :thumbup:
Me too. Although he said no charge for an overnight stay (erm...the bike that is), I'm gonna have to put 20 squid in an envelope as a little thank you. It'll buy him a few beers at least.

But, I dunno if 20 quid would be an insult? Ok, he offered it fer nowt, but I reckon if the bike blew over, 20 quid would be gone on just one indicator, or a mirror - never mind a dented tank and smooshed fairing. Is that too little a thank you?

On the flip side, if I show my gratitude by offering more and I'm stuck again and needing the bike sheltered (say heavy snow or more gales), I'd be tied to the higher price.

Moral dilemma. Any suggestions chaps?

I bought a Honda Wing last week for silly money, and had plans to get the VTR of the road this year. Don't mind dropping the GL, as it's already got knackered side panels and the rear boxes are twisted. Bits missing from the fairing...but heck - it was bought specifically as a winter hack. And if it blew over, I think it wold trash the neighbours car with the weight of it.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A bit of gratitude goes a long way no matter how big or small. It's the thought that counts. :thumbup: You need to start thinking of a more secure way to stand the bike. Maybe even an Abba stand type thing as it's a lot more stable.

TheGingerBeardMan

Did consider an Abba stand for the winter, to get the tyres off the ground, but using it in the street would be dodgy in windy weather - and it's windy up here a fair bit.

Once the cover is on (and I only bought a Medium), the whole thing acts like a sail, and in wind, I prefer to have both tyres on the floor with the weight of the bike.

I guess I have to start looking for a permanent lock up. I'd not sleep at night knowing the bike is at the other end of town tho. At least with her outside my front door, I know it's there (or one day....not)

I'll stick to me 20 quid gratuity then. I suppose it allows me to increase it at a later date if needed.

Electronic handshakes. :Beer1:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Did consider an Abba stand for the winter, to get the tyres off the ground, but using it in the street would be dodgy in windy weather
The standard Abba stand is only the rear wheel with it jacked up. You would be surprised how stable the bike is with them. Loads more than the side stand. I have actually allowed the bike to fall to the side (side stand up) with the Abba stand not jacked up and it rests on the base of the stand. It's a bit like having and arm or stabilisers out each side.

TheGingerBeardMan

Hmmm. Having never seen one if full use (just the pics and occasional video on the old facetubebook thing), I am gonna have to investigate some more. I'll have a phone around the bike dealers and see if they sell any, or maybe use one in the workshop with adapters. Then, I can trundle down and have a look in the flesh, and maybe get to try one out first.

Thank you muchly.

kev64

Post by kev64 »

Was getting a bit worried about silverstorms new home.
but the the worst of it is over now, hopefully, and its survived !! must be my superior diy skills ! haha
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

wow that's a good story.

as the guy offered you the night for free I think a "thank you " of 20 squid would be fine.

can you strap the beastie to a lamppost or telephone pole in high winds before you cover it ??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
TheGingerBeardMan

As its a narrow street (can only get one car down at a time), the lampposts are almost in folks gardens, hard up against their walls. I did lash a bike to a pole in my last house, but had to put the cover over it first (otherwise with the straps and rope, I wouldn't be able to get the cover over!) When I woke up next morning, the wind had moved the bike 90 degrees, and the cover was shredded with the rope "buzzing" all night in the wind. :roll:

In the past, I've just taken chances, and left the bike uncovered in the wind (to lessen the sail effect), and kept going out and turning the bike into the wind, so it's getting hit head on.

I've had a full dress 1200 wing get lifted off the centre stand, and ended up 10ft down the garden on her side (again, at another house). The winds up here by the sea really do get wicked!

But, here, at this house, and on this shitty street that's almost in the sea, the wind swirls, and you can see the dust and litter act like a mini tornado - corkscrewing upwards. And you can't keep going out, to uncover a bike, fighting with the cover to face it into the wind.

I either have to start reluctantly hunting for a lock-up, or, get her into the kitchen and keep her there until the winter or bad weather is over. But, I need me neighbour to help lift her through the door and up the step, and he's never happy about that! I had my FJ1200 in the kitchen, so at least I know the VTR will fit through the door.

A bit drastic methinks, but with my new winter hack wing, it may not be a bad idea to get the Storm into the house. Council will go mental at the annual gas service, seeing a bike in the house, but as long as I drain all the fluids out, it's just like keeping a pedal bike.

Maybe I should give up bikes and get a car.

yeah...right. as if that'll ever happen! Been riding bikes since I were 4 years old. Ain't gonna stop now! Wind or no wind. :thumbup:

If I could afford to move I would, just for the sake of the bikes, to get a house with a concrete garage attached.

Oh well. Lotto again this week methinks.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I take the cover off mine if it's windy, but it helps if you tie the cover onto the bike(leaves a gap underneath) or use bungees.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.