My lithium battery experiment is OVER!!!!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

My lithium battery experiment is OVER!!!!!!

Post by mik_str »

Got stranded today due to my lithium battery..... no more! This was my 3rd attempt and I am turning the page on lithium batteries. They may work on a trackbike but my exposure to them has convinced me they are unreliable for everyday use and, as I like to actually ride my bike, I'll put up with the extra 6 lbs of a Yuasa.......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
lloydie

Re: My lithium battery experiment is OVER!!!!!!

Post by lloydie »

Ok that's a bummer ! . Least it didn't catch fire
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Lithium or LifePo4? I use lifepo for 3 years without any problem. And know some others.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Cheers for the feedback on the lithium battery Micky. A shame it didn't work, as it's a relatively cheap way to reduce bike weight compared to the alternatives options. At least you gave it a good go.

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

well, having calmed down, I am left thinking the problem is with the bike....... guess I'll have to get the voltmeter out....
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Lithium can take an awful lot of current. Are you sure it hasn't burnt your regulator out?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

Funny as I was thinking of trying the WPS featherweight battery. Easy way to shed 5 or 6 lbs. But I guess its not worth it if it leaves you stranded.

How long did you have the battery before it sh!t on you
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I am personally not a fan of having a lithium battery right under my butt but having said that they are usually pretty reliable. I would be checking out the rest of the charging system. On my old Triumph TT600 I went through two batteries and R/R units before I realised that the startor coil was burnt out as well.

Al.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:well, having calmed down, I am left thinking the problem is with the bike....... guess I'll have to get the voltmeter out....
Ah, I was assuming you had already done that :plainsmile

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

well, I seem to have found the root of my problem: the stator. I took out my voltmeter and took readings at idle and 5000 rpm, both were around 12.5V (service manual says it should be between 13.5 and 15.5 at 5k rpm). As a preventive measure, I had bought a replacement stator a couple of years back so, I decided to overcome my fear of all things electrons, and put in the new stator (old one was all black........). I fired it up afterwards and it was reading just under 14V at idle.... bingo! Moral of the story, don't procrastinate (I have a real phobia of electronics), mine cost me 3 batteries (or so it would seem)....... This may also explain why I was never able to get the RC51/SP cluster and Ignitech ECU to work....... I feel like a real loser I must admit....... though a wiser one now......
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

am personally not a fan of having a lithium battery right under my butt but having said that they are usually pretty reliable.
I seem to recall there being issues with lithium spontaneously combusting. IIRC there was talks of Lithium batterers in the cargo hold of the missing Malaysian plane being a possible cause of instant take down......an explosion.

Well done Mik. I hope this is a step further into getting over your fear of electrics. And most important of all, it's lessons learned.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Nice work Mik :thumbup: So now the experiment is officially over? success!

I've been tempted to rig up some Li-Po batteries and see how they fare.

Li batts used to be quite unstable, but as long as they are treated with respect they a sound.

I stuck a metal stake through a 22.2v 5000mah Li-Po battery once, it was VERY IMPRESSIVE :lol:
Jamie :wave:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

So, you found the problem, and it wasn't the battery?
OK, buy another LiFePo battery and rock on.

I may have to finally get one; now everyone is on about how dangerous they are.
I just had a metal 90 degree tyre valve fitted to add a little spice and interest to my riding after reading horror stories about them, and set the chain oiler to spew oil all over the LH side of the tyre so that I had a few little slides here and there to keep me awake.

A timebomb under the seat may be just what I need next.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:well, I seem to have found the root of my problem: the stator. I took out my voltmeter and took readings at idle and 5000 rpm, both were around 12.5V (service manual says it should be between 13.5 and 15.5 at 5k rpm). As a preventive measure, I had bought a replacement stator a couple of years back so, I decided to overcome my fear of all things electrons, and put in the new stator (old one was all black........). I fired it up afterwards and it was reading just under 14V at idle.... bingo! Moral of the story, don't procrastinate (I have a real phobia of electronics), mine cost me 3 batteries (or so it would seem)....... This may also explain why I was never able to get the RC51/SP cluster and Ignitech ECU to work....... I feel like a real loser I must admit....... though a wiser one now......
Result :clap:
It's all to easy to see in hind sight what we should have done, the main thing is you've rectified (pun not intended) the problem in the charging circuit. I also think your issues with not being able to get that RC51/SP cluster and Ignitech ECU to work, most likely, down to the stator problem.

Have you checked out with your multi-meter yet each phase on the old stator plate, to see if it was just one gone or all three?

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote:So, you found the problem, and it wasn't the battery?
OK, buy another LiFePo battery and rock on.

I may have to finally get one; now everyone is on about how dangerous they are.
I just had a metal 90 degree tyre valve fitted to add a little spice and interest to my riding after reading horror stories about them, and set the chain oiler to spew oil all over the LH side of the tyre so that I had a few little slides here and there to keep me awake.

A timebomb under the seat may be just what I need next.....
Don't forget to put the old R/R back on, just for that last bit of back of the mind will it hold out on this ride nagging doubt...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...