Part throttle Issue

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dudehog

Part throttle Issue

Post by dudehog »

Hello, all :) I think this is my first post on here so here it goes......

Ok... when I'm riding along in any gear past 4krpm and hold the throttle gently the bike sounds like it's starved of fuel. It splutters, coughs and poofs (scientific term) back through the carbs. Letting go of the throttle it barks and cackles more than usual. It has literally happened overnight. Nothing has been done to the bike.
Spark plugs are ok and leads are ok. It doesn't do it under accleration nor letting go of the throttle completely. My theory is that under very light throttle one carb isn't getting enough fuel?
So is it a simple case of balancing the carbs and doing the mixture? All help appreciated :Worship1:
VTRDark

Re: Part throttle Issue

Post by VTRDark »

Hey dude it's your 9th post :plainsmile

First thing to check is that the petcock vacuum is in the correct place.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... se#p282579

I would next go on to check that there are no intake or exhaust leaks. If you are sure that everything is good there then you can start looking at maybe making any carb adjustments/tweaks if the problem persists.

What air filter and exhaust system are you running? Have the carbs had anything done to them previously jetting wise. Any idea what your current set up is?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

Yeah saw it was my 9th after posting :)
There are no leaks from what I can see and pipe up to the valve is all good.
I have Danmoto GP pipes, k+n filter and I have different jets from standard but I don't know what.
It did literally happen overnight.
Under acceleration it pulls like a train, let go completely it's fine. It's just holding it gently above 4k.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

just spent over week sorting that problem out..... grrr ... crap in pilots in my case
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

StuartWags wrote:just spent over week sorting that problem out..... grrr ... crap in pilots in my case
Yup, thats my thoughts. Pilots clog easily due to the small jet size. Strip carbs and clean em.
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

Took the airbox apart today. Removed the base after taking off the air funnels etc and the crank breather hoses. Connected to the box are 2 2" vertical pipes from the carbs.What do they do and what would happen if one were to be restricted?
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

dudehog wrote:Took the airbox apart today. Removed the base after taking off the air funnels etc and the crank breather hoses. Connected to the box are 2 2" vertical pipes from the carbs.What do they do and what would happen if one were to be restricted?
Carb vents. Should not be restricted. They allow air in under the diaphragm.
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

and if the front one was restricted by someone putting the air box base on and squashing it......then what?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It would be squashed. :lol:

As NZ said these feed atmospheric air to the carb diaphragms. Depending on how squashed/restricted it is would determine the amount air pressure speed or even block it totally and effect the lift speed on the slide. Refit the airbox with these connected properly and see how things run. I'm guessing it's the front one. If so you should be able to get a hand around the frame crossbar in front of the airbox and get your hand under the box and fit both pipes. Or at least feel around to confirm you have them connected correctly.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

It's all back together properly :)
I thought maybe this was responsible for the issues and symptoms I was having?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Best ride it and see if it's fixed, then you'll know.

Happy to help :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

Well I sorted that. No better. Changes the petcock rubbers, front coil and spark plugs. No better. checked for vac leaks and tightened everything up and went for a ride and the further I rode it got better.
Now when I put the filter back on I used the K+n oil spray. My theory: is it possible I used to much oil in effect clogging up the air filter causing it to run rich at higher speeds when it tries to draw more air but couldn't. So the fuel is being supplied but not the air turning the mixture rich. Sound plausible?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The K&N airfilter takes some setting up (dynojet kit/dyno time) - so it''s not a plug&play mod like on most fours. If it hasn't been fettled to run with a K&N you could try reverting to a standard air filter.

With the K&N did you wash it clean with the 'special' solvent cleaner before reoilling?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
dudehog

Post by dudehog »

Well the filter has been on there since I bought the bike last year. I did balance my carbs too and they were way out.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, too much oil on a K&N ruins performance.
Clean it all off and start again, just enough to turn the filter medium red; no more.

I did that the first time....

You should be able to see clear holes so that the air can get in but the gritty bits stick to the fibres on the way through.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.