Headlight beam deflector - advice?

General Bike chat
Pem Brooke

Headlight beam deflector - advice?

Post by Pem Brooke »

Just about to take my Firestorm for its first MOT since importing in from Canada. (This is my own bike I brought back with me).

Suspect it might need a deflector to stop the dip beam shining the wrong way (driven on opposite side of road in Canada, like USA).

Anyone got experience of this and can offer any advice?

Cheers!
Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
Wicky

Re: Headlight beam deflector - advice?

Post by Wicky »

Have you tried fiddling with the horizonal adjustment screw on the back of the headlight? If that doesn't do the job get a UK headlight unit from flea bay.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fireballxl5

Post by fireballxl5 »

You cannot adjust the left & right adjuster on your headlight to make your light correct for the UK, as all this will do is move the kick up ( the part of the beam image that shines the light over to the left or to the right in your case) further over but will still give you the wrong beam image.

Your bike will be fitted with a right hand headlight so the kick up will be off to the right, not legal in the UK.

You have to options
1 Fit a UK spec headlamp as Wicky suggested from e-bay or check out the items for sale on the forum.

2 Cheaper option when you take your bike for its MOT, ask the tester if he can tape up the part of the image that is wrong, most bike testers as quite friendly and will do this for you ( I know I do ) this will give you a flat beam image which is acceptable for the MOT.

This will leave you with a legal light with some form of tape on it, admittedly may not look pretty but legal, you could do this first to get your MOT and source a replacement at your leisure.

Hope this is not to longwinded Good Luck :thumbup:
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

Thanks!! Excellent advice. I assume that, as the beam will shine up and to the right, that the tape would go on the bottom left of the headlight as you sit on the bike...does that sound correct?
Cheers
Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Huh, must check this on my bike. Its a US import. Passed all its tests here.