Honda Reliability/Running Issues

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Honda Reliability/Running Issues

Post by VTRDark »

Good old Honda reliability. We all... or should all know about the Cam Chain Tensioner issues with the VTR and how even Honda tried to cover it up with an Orange dot and say it's fixed :lol:
After reading the following article on V4 bikes, I think we have got off lightly. 8O
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... 4hist.html

Some interesting similarities to some of the lesser common issues with the VTR. Stalling uncomfortably in traffic, terrible fuel mileage, float bowl vent issues.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mik_str

Re: Honda Reliability/Running Issues

Post by mik_str »

99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

its good that there prepared to install a new unit if the swarf is found though. if i had a high miler id put some in the sump :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

bigtwinthing wrote:its good that there prepared to install a new unit if the swarf is found though. if i had a high miler id put some in the sump :lol:
So would I regardless of miles as long as it was a recall bike :lol:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

We bought a Toyota Auris 2.0 Diesel new on 2009. It had 3 engine rebuilds before they got it sorted as it was using all the oil in 3 months. They ran in the last 2 engines as they thought it was us running it in too soft!!!. It turned out to be bad batch of Pistons. We threatened to go to Autocar magazine, but that did no good. When i informed them i was appearing on "Top Gear" with the car, they paid us the purchase price but we had to sign a form to say we would not discuss with the media in any respect. So good on Honda for agreeing the swap. ( we've since bought Audis)
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
popkat

Post by popkat »

Honda learnt a lot from that period in their history. On the upside as a consequence we got the Bullet proof gear drive cam VFR750 which was over engineered and rumoured to cost Honda more than they sold for ?. Unfortunately they didn't learn how to fit a reg/rec that lasted or stators that don't burn out and leave you stranded (fireblade mainly). The VTR CCT problem isn't really the tensioner itself, the design is ok, it's more the location on the front cylinder and lack of oil feed, no one would really mind if they had to replace a £40-50 tensioner once every 50-70000 miles like on a blackbird that uses an identical type tensioner.

Interestingly the interceptor(US) VF750F(UK) are noW going up in value and desirability. VF750s which was the semi custom model and the same as the US Sabre don't seem to be wanted (yet) and I hope not either, I had one years ago and the strange handling they mention meant using two lanes of a motorway at high speed due to an odd weave.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

The VFR1200 recall will be well sorted now, but those 1200 suffer from the remote pre load on the rear shock seizing after very little miles, Honda have replaced many under warranty, I've heard of one bike having 5 new shocks and counting (three year warranties are great for that) Also heard of a rear diff seizing on the move 8O. Although this seems a fairly isolated case If anyone plans on buying one of these change the diff oil much more often than the service schedule, it's a very easy job to do and wouldn't put me off buying one.
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I had one years ago and the strange handling they mention meant using two lanes of a motorway at high speed due to an odd weave.
:roll: :eek2

Great posts always nice to know a little history and how things progress, especially in the engine department. Interesting how Honda will make/sell things at a loss. Didn't they do that with the RC45 too :think: I guess it's all in the name off progression and being top of their game.

I was recently reading up on the evolution of valves and their placement. 8 valves per a cylinder on the NSR750 8O Now that was experimenting and possibly pushing boundaries Wow what a bike.

popkat

Post by popkat »

The NR was a four cylinder V8, well that was the idea, oval pistons, 4 valves per half, they couldn't seem to get the 500/750cc race bikes right and reliable but the road bike was an exercise in what Honda were capable of at the time, very pricey, very rare and if I won the lottery I'd have one in a glass case :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Here you go 32V V4 http://thekneeslider.com/honda-nr750-ov ... -for-sale/

Only £115,000.00 :lol: :lol:

I'm not entirely clear on this as it's bits picked off the net but I don't think Honda where allowed a V8 engine in the racing regs or something. So I believe they tried to get around that by adding more valves which in theory gives them the equivalent of a V8 in power. Something like that.

rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

They combined adjacent combustion chambers/bores, making them oval, and halving the cylinder numbers, but keeping the same number of valves.
Brandonland

Post by Brandonland »

I have a 2001 vtr1000 with only 33,000 miles on it I took excellent care of this bike it just blew up last Saturday I think 33,000 miles is totally unacceptable this needs to be a recall chiming damn timing chain jump at 33,000 miles it's unacceptable Honda where's my new bike I'm freaking devastated I just spent $5,000 on that bike plus I put brand new tires that was another 500 bucks literally the day before devastated bike blown up at 33,000 miles and I cannot find anywhere where there's a recall how can there not be a recall..... how do I get a hold of Honda
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Brandonland wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:18 pm I have a 2001 vtr1000 with only 33,000 miles on it I took excellent care of this bike it just blew up last Saturday I think 33,000 miles is totally unacceptable this needs to be a recall chiming damn timing chain jump at 33,000 miles it's unacceptable Honda where's my new bike I'm freaking devastated I just spent $5,000 on that bike plus I put brand new tires that was another 500 bucks literally the day before devastated bike blown up at 33,000 miles and I cannot find anywhere where there's a recall how can there not be a recall..... how do I get a hold of Honda

There never was a recall on CCt's for these. Apparently its a service item. Or if you had done some research you would have know it's a weak spot & done something about it... Your bike is 22years old, you surly cant expect that Honda will pick up the bill.

Depending on the damage done, it can be repaired. If your lucky it's just a couple of bent valves... If your not its a replacement head & possibly a piston.
+ of course a new CCT...

Good luck try the US Forum... https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...