Chain tensioner broke, do i remove metal plate?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Hvornum

Chain tensioner broke, do i remove metal plate?

Post by Hvornum »

Hi!

First off, thank you for this lovely guide: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's), it really pointed out 99% of the problems i've had with localizing a issue with noises from the engine when the old tensioner broke..

Anyway, I've stripped down the bike.
I've realigned the inlet on the front cylinder because it was off by ~15 degrees (and hopefully the valve hasn't taken any damage, will check tomorrow). That sad, I'm wondering if i should remove the metal plate gripping on the chain or if that's a part of the chain all together..

The part being the one visible in the hole where the old tensioner reside:

It's like a metal jacket grabbing over the chain with a small metal nob/circle on top of it, is this a part of the old tensioner and if it's supposed to be removed how do you go about doing it?

Cheers!
Jscobey

Re: Chain tensioner broke, do i remove metal plate?

Post by Jscobey »

thats the blade which is actually what the tensioner presses against the give to chain the desired tension. leave it there.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Jscobey wrote:thats the blade which is actually what the tensioner presses against the give to chain the desired tension. leave it there.
+1 :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Hvornum

Post by Hvornum »

Jscobey wrote:thats the blade which is actually what the tensioner presses against the give to chain the desired tension. leave it there.
Perfect, will do! On to building it all together in other words :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

+2 :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

On the other hand I'd love to watch you try to pull it out through that little round hole.... :lol:
If it's only one tooth out you may well have got away with it, but stick a new one in and see how it feels.

Not a new Honda one, obviously...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.