Buy Arai??

General Biker Banter
Sharpshooter888

Buy Arai??

Post by Sharpshooter888 »

Been looking for a new lid since mine took an impact. I've found a lovely Arai RX7 but the million dollar question is.... Should i trust buying direct on ebay from Japan?

They are coming up far cheaper than anywhere else, on one hand im thinking there made in japan so maybe cutting out the dealership costs, but on the other hand thinking am i being naive as we all know our eastern friends are experts at producing a good copy!! :roll:
Kev L

Re: Buy Arai??

Post by Kev L »

Arai make different shells for different markets. So often the Jap market shell won't fit in the same way as a Euro spec shell. Unless you have tried a lid from a different market and know the size which is comfortable for you I would be inclined to stick with a Brit spec.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

I'd be careful. Arai wouldn't sell direct on ebay, so you will definately be going through a middle man. It's just a case of how genuine that middle man is. Plus what Kev said.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
budd

Post by budd »

I couldn't agree more with both the above comments, we all know the enviable reputation Arai have built up, it wouldn’t surprise me if some dodgy eastern company is knocking out fake to profit from this reputation, this isn’t a fake Rolex it’s your head we’re talking about here, a discount Lidl lid would be preferable to a snide Arai.

My advice would be buy from a reputable dealer, IIRC the axces 2 is only around £250 brand new, also while the RX7 is a fine helmet (I have one myself) but they are quite noisy, hear plugs are essential with a RX7, if I were buying another I’d probably go for a Quantum which doesn’t have the extensive top vents which I believe is what creates the noise.

Don’t get me wrong I love my RX7 and they are without doubt one of the finest helmets around but you don’t need to spend nearly £600 to own a Arai, the cheapest genuine Arai as got to be better than even the best copy.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

I know loads of folk rate Arai, but I've had two and they were both rubbish. Well, certainly not worth the money anyway. I bought the second one as I simply couldn't believe the first one was actually that bad. It was.

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I bought the Arai Condor (£250) a few years ago and wrote it off on the same day :lol: :lol:

But it certainly did it's job well, so went out and got another one a week later.

I replaced it recently with a Shoei as the Condor was 4/5 years old, but I miss the Arai.
Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kev L wrote:Arai make different shells for different markets. So often the Jap market shell won't fit in the same way as a Euro spec shell. Unless you have tried a lid from a different market and know the size which is comfortable for you I would be inclined to stick with a Brit spec.
this is correct, the shape of the helmet will be different to the EU spec
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

this is correct, the shape of the helmet will be different to the EU spec
Does this mean the Japs have got a more Peanut shaped head. :lol:

I bought my RX7 of a user on eBay. But as has been said you have to be careful buying lids especially if 2nd hand.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
ging500

Post by ging500 »

The other thing is soome countries have different safety testing. So a Japan spec helmet may not have the certification that a UK SPEC helmet does!!

I know this was mention in one the baron von grumble blogs about his Ben bostrom rep shoei!
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

Ffs don't buy one from ebay...or shop soiled or 2nd hand...

EBAY.....you don't know if discription and quality is genuine

Shop soiled.....every man jack and his dog has had their head in it and quite possibly knocked it on something

2nd hand......your putting faith in someone saying" it's never been dropped/ no scrapes,scratches".....don't know about you but i value my squash too much to trust anyone exccept a shop i can walk into and buy a new one.

Buy the best you can afford with all the certs and stickes needed to keep you and your squash safe
budd

Post by budd »

Wonky Donkey wrote:I know loads of folk rate Arai, but I've had two and they were both rubbish. Well, certainly not worth the money anyway. I bought the second one as I simply couldn't believe the first one was actually that bad. It was.

MICK..
Everyone is welcome to their opinion but personally I wouldn't wear anything else and I absolutely believe the only reason I’m still breathing today is down to Arai.

Plus it’s no accident that the majority of racers who don’t have a helmet sponsor and have buy their own gear choose Arai, I remember working with a racer in the 90s who got a helmet deal with IIRC vemar, which weren’t the greatest so he had a Arai painted and stickered up to look like the vemar.
Also it would be interesting to find out what problems you had with your Arais, rather than simply saying they were rubbish.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Don't buy anything you have not tried on! simple fact and makes sense, use judgement and not luck, it may save your life!!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Buy Arai??

Post by lloydie »

I tried on many different makers of lids and I found HJC the best fitting for me so it's well worth trying before you buy
Last edited by lloydie on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

lloydie wrote:I tried on many different makers of kids
Have you changed your taste from sheep or you referring to virt??
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

:Lol: I'll edit it