does this sound right?

General Bike chat
dansrockin

does this sound right?

Post by dansrockin »

Hi all, I'm still not convinced that all is as it should be with my bike, its quite noisy, but not having seen and heard another storm up close, I've nothing to compare it to.
I've done the ccts and double checked all timing and it was all spot on. I've just sealed up a few exhaust leaks thinking that might be causing the noise but it's still there. It seems to be located around the rear cylinder, bottom part of the engine rather than top end but I could be wrong. The bike runs ok, seems to have plenty of power and no untoward noised when riding. I've added a video below.
Any ideas?
Thanks
http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dansrock ... 6.mp4.html
Wicky

Re: does this sound right?

Post by Wicky »

Can't hear anything untoward with the noise of exhausts. Can you get someone to cup their hands over both the can outlets and give it some revs to help gauge if there are still any lingering exhaust leaks / notable engine noises.

How far did you go in with replacing rear down-pipe gasket and graphite link pipe seal http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p316255
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
dansrockin

Post by dansrockin »

I replaced that main seal, and sealed up all other joins with silicon. There isn't any blowing that I can feel now.
This is the best I can get at the min as I'm home alone. I tried putting a cloth down the pipes but they blew out! :D
Its the sort of whirry tappy noise I can hear that I'm not sure of.
http://s6.photobucket.com/user/dansrock ... 7.mp4.html
Cheers
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Clutch rattle. Pull the clutch lever in and see if it disappears. They all have a bit of clutch rattle to some degree.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
dansrockin

Post by dansrockin »

Thanks but I've tried that, and its not that.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

After having a good listen to the video there is defiantly a more higher pitched tappety clackety noise than normal, but is sounds to me like it's coming from more higher up. Valves clearances/valve seats maybe. What's the mileage on the bike and when where the valve clearance last checked. Did you have to reposition the cam sprocket alignment at all when checking the timing. If you don't know the history of the bike or when they where last checked that would be my first port of call as it's a simple check to rule out. I wouldn't rule out carb slides/weak or stretched springs though as previously mentioned. Does it make this noise throughout the rev range at higher speeds and how does the bike perform, any other symptoms.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you are not too far away from me or Lloydie, so next time we are riding through Banbury one of us can pop in for a listen
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

AMCQ46 wrote:you are not too far away from me or Lloydie, so next time we are riding through Banbury one of us can pop in for a listen
Sounds like a plan
dansrockin

Post by dansrockin »

The bike is on 24k miles, its got full service history and its showing the clearances were last checked at just under 17k. Didn't have to move any sprockets when I did ccts, and the whirring noise is pretty much there at all revs. The bike seems to run well as far as I can tell.
I'd certainly appreciate it if you guys could have a listen, where abouts are you? I work in leamington so I might be closer to you.
Cheers
lloydie

does this sound right?

Post by lloydie »

dansrockin wrote:The bike is on 24k miles, its got full service history and its showing the clearances were last checked at just under 17k. Didn't have to move any sprockets when I did ccts, and the whirring noise is pretty much there at all revs. The bike seems to run well as far as I can tell.
I'd certainly appreciate it if you guys could have a listen, where abouts are you? I work in leamington so I might be closer to you.
Cheers
I'm in binley Coventry .
I'll pm you my phone number (lube hot line)
dansrockin

Post by dansrockin »

:thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

that doesn't sound right to me, what is the idle speed atm, was the engine fully warmed up?
its hard to tell because of the sound quality of the recording device, i'm guessing its a smart phone. maybe try another video, this time warm it up(if you hadn't already done so) don't stand behind the bike, stand to the side, blip the throttle a few times, as for idle speed, it depends how the bikes been setup, I know carl can get his bike idling sweetly from below 1000rpm, but yours sounded a lot faster, 1300/1400rpm.
but as I said before, that doesn't sound 100% to me.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

He's popping round later this week but going from the vid it don't sound good :-(
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

lloydie wrote:He's popping round later this week but going from the vid it don't sound good :-(
doesn't sound terminal tho, just not right, it seemed that the idle speed was very high.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nothing to do with idle speed mate. You can defiantly hear it the higher pitched tappety clackety noise. I've said this before, but if your tune your ear in you can hear the pistons going pop pop pop as they go up and down on these bikes.

As for the recording it would have been nice to also hear slightly more forward towards the front carb/cylinder to rule anything out there as sound can sometimes be misleading as it reverberates/bounces around.

Anyway I'm sure Lloyd and Al will get to the bottom of it. :thumbup: