Started another job "Bad Move"

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
darkember

Started another job "Bad Move"

Post by darkember »

Well, today while waiting for my head to return. I decided to strip the paint off my rear rocker cover. Having purchased this really HD stripper thought it was going to be a breeze. How wrong :( . There must be layers of lacquer on this part as the stripper barely makes a dent on it. Damn Honda & their superb paint quality :Argue 1: . If it had been a Suzuki I would have been to the bare metal by now. Anyways, now I am using brillo pads, loads of elbow grease and have only managed to clear 1/3 of the first cover.

Be warned if you start this job be prepared for the long hall. Photos will follow but not for a while. 8)
agentpineapple

Re: Started another job "Bad Move"

Post by agentpineapple »

I've done several of these now, I use a dremel and sand paper/wet n dry, its fiddly and takes time.
in reality your better off taking them to be sand blasted/bead blasted.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try slapping some paint stripper on and wapping it in cling film/plastic bags overnight to 'soak'.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Why would you want to strip down to bare metal. All your doing is creating more work and expense for yourself. If it needs re-painting then give it a good rub down, key the surface. Wet n dry would be good, get it nice smooth and respray. There is absolutely no point in going back to bare metal and whatever primer you apply to the surface will never be as good as what comes out the factory. Your better off using it to your advantage. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

cybercarl wrote:Why would you want to strip down to bare metal. All your doing is creating more work and expense for yourself. If it needs re-painting then give it a good rub down, key the surface. Wet n dry would be good, get it nice smooth and respray. There is absolutely no point in going back to bare metal and whatever primer you apply to the surface will never be as good as what comes out the factory. Your better off using it to your advantage. :thumbup:

I'm not intending to re-paint them they are going to a mirror polish & HT lacquer.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I got mine powdercoated, I barely broke into a sweat! :lol:
Jamie :wave:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

they are going to a mirror polish & HT lacquer.
Argh OK that makes a lot more sense now. Hard graft all the way then :eek2 Paint stripper wrapped up as wicky says then :thumbup: It may take a few applications!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

As we've covered before, the problem is most paint/varnish strippers are rubbish to what they used to be, due to H&S :thumbdown:

Keep at it darkember, you'll get there :thumbup:

Chris.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Hey mate,

Oven cleaner is the go. I have used it on many parts including the engine cases.

Spray heaps of it on, let it bubble away, leave for 24 hours then hit it with sand paper or a dremmel.

Works a treat.

Then polish with varying grades of wet and dry, polish and hey presto it's done.

Then it's time to admire your handy work :beer: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

kenmoore wrote:Hey mate,

Oven cleaner is the go. I have used it on many parts including the engine cases.

Spray heaps of it on, let it bubble away, leave for 24 hours then hit it with sand paper or a dremmel.

Works a treat.
That's something I've not tried yet, although doesn't some of those have caustic in them, so you would have to be careful not to over cook them :wink:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mr Muscle cleaning packs for oven shelves may be worth a try. You place the product in the supplied bag, spray the cleaner all over and seal the bag and leave overnight. Come morning wash it all off. If the paint stripper does not work I would be tempted to give that a try. Maybe oven cleaners work like the old fashioned high VOC paint strippers. :think:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Mr Muscle cleaning packs for oven shelves may be worth a try. You place the product in the supplied bag, spray the cleaner all over and seal the bag and leave overnight. Come morning wash it all off. If the paint stripper does not work I would be tempted to give that a try. Maybe oven cleaners work like the old fashioned high VOC paint strippers. :think:

I would be interested to hear how that goes if you do ever give it a try Carl,

Chris.
darkember

Post by darkember »

kenmoore wrote:Hey mate,

Works a treat.

Then polish with varying grades of wet and dry, polish and hey presto it's done.

Then it's time to admire your handy work :beer: :beer: :beer:
I'm interested in this method. My wife has used one but it is not a spray you just pour it onto the oven base & leave overnight. Could you tell me what product you used as it seems to work & not sure if the pour in stuff that we have may be too violent.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Mr Muscle in a spray can is the go.

Spray it on, leave overnight.

Scrape off all the muck then use varying grades of wet and dry until you get the finish you want.

I usually start with 800 and then progress to 2000.

Use a good metal polish to finish off.

Don't despair at the tarnishing as the wet and dry gets rid of it.

I have used this method for years and guess that it is the caustic that does the job.

A bit labour intensive but it works.

This is the end result.

I can't see why it wouldn't work on your valve covers .

Just takes a bit of time.

Both engine covers took me about 10 Hours after removing the oven cleaner.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I see you have painted your sump kenmoore. I've not noticed that before, nice touch :thumbup: