single sided swing arm project

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Ckennedy

single sided swing arm project

Post by Ckennedy »

I decided a little while back I was going to do something to my swing arm. A long time a go (maybe a year :lol: ) I wanted the single sided swing arm but never did it. Then a month or so a go I saw a pic of tony.mon`s bike while browsing through Google and eyed up his braced swing arm, to which I took a very big liking so I decided to go down that route. After a good few hours work at Lloyd's in a freezing garage my braced swing arm was looking rather good and just over half way there. And all was set for the braced swing arm with 6spoke wheels which I was still to decide what colour to have painted...

Then the other day someone posted a thread in the sales section advertising a modified single sided swingarm and wheels. Unfortunally the wheels will need to be re done as they won't match my bike but I am going to view them and the swing arm on 17th Jan 2014 and maybe walk away with empty pockets but something that I have been told that "will bolt straight on" . In all honesty I am a bit unsure about it being a straight fit as I have done a lot of reading up about this and have a good idea in mind what is needed and unless the required linkage is in the sale then I shall need some bits making up to which I do not mind but then it isn't a case of bolt straight on. For the money I can not overly complain though. So if all goes according to plan and I like what's been done with this swing arm I shall have this to fit and have a good play and eventually have something a little different than most.

I am also planning to run a 2-1 system which I have brought a pair of cans for. A very nice looking pair of oval viper carbon cans. I hear you ask yourself why did I by a pair when I only require one.... Well the answer is simple, look what happened to Lloyd's carbon can using the 2-1 system. I small be re packing my every winter (OK more expense but that's the price we pay for doing stuff like this) and if the worst should happen then I have a back up one. If this swingarm does not end up being what I thought I may well go back to the braced route and then fit the carbon cans and just get some link pipes made up for them or again run the 2-1 with the braced swingarm.

So what do I hope to achieve.... Well after hours each night reading up on how much of a pain this conversion can be and wondering just what I will find when I go to look at this swing arm I thought I would look for some pics and this is what I found.....

And being as though my bike already has this colour scheme then I thought this pic really gave me an idea of what it could look like.....

I will have my can mounted on the right hand side behind the pillion pegs. I also want my wheels that colour but finding it hard to find the paint code. If anyone knows it please please please let me know :thumbup:

Thank you for reading what is proberly my longest post but hopefully some of you will follow this with interest and be there when I need some help as you lot always are :thumbup:
Last edited by Ckennedy on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gazfirestormowner

Re: swing arm project

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Good luck with this project mate can't wait to see it progress will be worth it in the end

Love the colour on them wheels as well :thumbup:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Thanks gaz :thumbup: just hoping I can find the paint code for them. Not having much luck at the no :thumbdown: I'll have them that colour even if I go back to the braced swingarm, then I just need to make my mind up if I want a black swinger or not :think:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Re. wheel colour looks like they've used the later engine colour

try HYCOTE vauxhall titanium pearl / halfords VAUXHALL TITANIUM SILVER
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Freezing cold garage !!! I told you to bring a coat :lol:

Looks like we'll have some fun fitting all that
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Good luck with it.

I looked at the single sider before I did my brace and I must admit that the linkages and extended wheelbase put me off.

Also whilst I like mods I wanted more of a stealth look.

Ones that only VTR owners would recognise as a deviation from the norm.

I must say that the arm looks fantastic and I hope all goes well for you.

Can you post some pics for us :beer: :beer: :beer:

P.S if you take pics there has to be a wheely bin in there somewhere. :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Thanks wicky :thumbup: I shall take a look at those paints and see what is what.

:lol: Lloyd the garage wasn't to bad. It was my hands that felt the cold, wouldn't of helped they were being hit by ali shards! :lol: becides...... I don't own a coat :roll:

Thanks kenmoore :thumbup: Yeah I know the wheel base will be slightly longer and it will add weight but I am hoping that with the WP shock I have plus the 6mm spacer then it won't affect things tooooo much (if anyone has figures or knowledge is like to see/hear) I just love the look of it. Specially since I saw the pic of that sp1 with the SSSA and those wheels.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't own a coat :roll:
Well you must have had some petrol and I'm sure you could have found some rubbish. So how about a nice little fire. :biggrin

I think the best thing about the SSW is the chain adjustment and getting rid of the standard adjusters. Single sides exhaust on one side will ruin the look IMO. I think it needs to be undertail like the above pics.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

kenmoore wrote:
Also whilst I like mods I wanted more of a stealth look.

Ones that only VTR owners would recognise as a deviation from the norm.

I must say that the arm looks fantastic and I hope all goes well for you.
+1..

I like the stealthy look with all the mods being hidden unless you know the bike and that's hopefully what I have achieved with mine. I do like the SSSA look and thought about it a while ago but never did it. I hope it works out well for you and think it's a really nice look.

I do like a good project...
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Well today things went from good to crap back to good again. Long story but now my plans have changed a bit. Instead of having a 2-1 system with the can on the right side I am now having a under seat exhaust. If you care to use your imaginations.....

My bike currently looks like this.....

The wheels I want are this colour, and this gives an idea of what mine will look like with the SSSA....

And I am thinking of something like Daytona 675 triple can where the rear light unit is. Whether I get that design or not I do not know but I do love this look and think it will just about fit where the rear light unit is :think:

Any thoughts or advice you have is welcomed. You shall all be kept in the loop :thumbup:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep bring beers :-)
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Not sure beers are the right thing to be drinking when putting all this together, figuring out what we need and getting measurements and drawings. Maybe when were finished and its all together. Well..... Certainly after all the measurements are done :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

For after ya numpty
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

the paint job on the wheels looks like silver base coat with a golden shading all scotch brightened and a clear coat.....fiddling job that is
Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Here you go

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts