The Cycling Ride Thread 2014

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

geodude

The Cycling Ride Thread 2014

Post by geodude »

It seems a few of us on here have taken to or are hooked on pedal power so I thought I'd start a thread here so we can share planned rides. Someone might be in there area and want to join you.

Also post the rides you have completed. Strava links welcome.

I'll post up details on any events I am entering such as London to Brighton - Hopefully you'll be able to join me on some :thumbup:

Events

London to Brighton Off-Road 75 miles - Saturday 20 September 2014 - Starts Roehampton University, London.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
geodude

Re: The Cycling Ride Thread 2014

Post by geodude »

Note: Make sure you set a privacy zone in Strava if you are sharing your rides.

Let me know if you want help with that.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ (and anyone else willing to join us)- Do you fancy meeting up in Northleach for an MTB ride at some point. I've sorted the route. It's 21 miles. It's quite hilly and has a lot of Restricted Byways and Bridleways (off road).

I haven't ridden up that way so would be a bit of an adventure.

You up for it?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Geo, that MTB ride sounds like a good idea…..I give me enough time to get my bike fitness up and I will be sure to join you :thumb up:

and send me a copy of the route in a garmin GPX format so I can have a look at it and get it stored in my edge 200
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:Geo, that MTB ride sounds like a good idea…..I give me enough time to get my bike fitness up and I will be sure to join you :thumb up:

and send me a copy of the route in a garmin GPX format so I can have a look at it and get it stored in my edge 200
Ok cool. I'll send it over. Probably be April sometime on a Sunday. Or take a day off and do it during the week? Not sure yet.
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ - You got mail!
geodude

Post by geodude »

Not too bad

geodude

Post by geodude »

If you are a southern softie (like me) and don't like the cold, here is the indoor turbo trainer I got for xmas. http://amzn.to/JUfCke It's ok. Now £20 cheaper than when I got it too :thumbdown: . The slicker the wheels the quieter it is. Not as much resistance as I'd like but it certainly gets the heart rate up.

If you have a turbo trainer, here's something to ride along to. Most online videos are on road :roll: .

[youtube][/youtube]
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good idea this cycling thread, I can use it to make sure I don't break my promise to ride 100 miles in 1 day.

So having had a good read on the BHF weblink that Geo posted, I am now going to work my way through their beginners cycle training schedule to get me up to a 100 mile ride.

Interesting thing that I learned is that I need to take more time to build a foundation fitness and not just go out and push to do the big miles, so todays cycle was much slower to just run at a pace where I kept my heart rate below 70%, but that is ride 1 of week 1, and I need to do 4 rides a week of various intensity and distance for 10 weeks.
AMcQ
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

that's what I learned last year. Winter is a good time for base fitness, just to get the long whatsit muscles going so endurance becomes easy (easier!).

To get from a comfortable 60 miler to 80 was a neither here nor there, but I found that to get from 80 to 100+ needed a lot more in the tank. I set two goals - length of single ride with all fuel etc onboard and no stopping (aside from bottle refills), this maxed at 65 miles, and length of ride with a couple of stops - this was the 106 miler.

I'll be heading up your way as part of my training I reckon as cov/solihull area is 50 odd miles away so a single stint up, break and double stint back :thumbup: :)
geodude

Post by geodude »

Phew! I was beginning to think i'd be the only one using this thread.

Well done boys!!
Yesterday I did
-7 minute warm up on the cycle machine. Medium intensity
-Leg extensions - 20kg 3 set 10 reps (light weight as I hyper-extended my knee last year and it still hasn't fully recovered)
--Low row - 35kg 3 set x 10

That got me warmed up for;
-2 1/2 hours of badminton.
finished at 22:45 8O

Tonight I did
-12 minutes on the Turbo trainer (TT) medium intensity
-10 press up, 20 sit ups
-18 minutes on the TT medium/high intensity
-10 press up, 20 sit ups
-17 minutes on the TT high intensity
-10 press up, 20 sit ups
-Cool down.

Seems to be working ok. I need to get out on the bike for real to see if it's helping.

Do you have a MTB BVG?

Edited: 20 situps, not 10. I had than counting them form me. lol
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

geodude wrote:Phew! I was beginning to think i'd be the only one using this thread.
I'm watching this thread! Well done for setting it up Geo :clap:

Haven't really got any competitive or notworthy events planned, I just enjoy ripping up the countryside on my bike and finding jumps and stair cases to to clear! :)
Jamie :wave:
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote: Interesting thing that I learned is that I need to take more time to build a foundation fitness and not just go out and push to do the big miles, so todays cycle was much slower to just run at a pace where I kept my heart rate below 70%, but that is ride 1 of week 1, and I need to do 4 rides a week of various intensity and distance for 10 weeks.
For the London to Brighton. We built it up by doing a few 12 miles, then a few 20+ milers. We then did a couple of 50 milers around the forest which is fairly flat. I then sorted out a few shorter but quite hilly rides of around 30 miles to get some climbing in. Finally I planned a 75 mile ride around the forest but due to a) being on my own and b) poor fuelling I only managed 64 miles

The key to the longer ride is proper fuelling.

- You need approximately 200 cals per hour. I was using flapjacks for the short stops and jelly babies/fig rolls for on the go fuelling
- You need to replace electrolytes when hydrating. Water isn't enough on longer rides. I was using the energy gels to get a carb boost but the ones I used had electrolytes in them. Bananas and peanut butter sandwich for the main lunch stop.
- Avoid much protein until you finish. Then make sure you hit the protein for better muscle repair. I use a protein bar which after 75 miles off road was the best thing I had ever eaten. lol

Don't forget though, the above was for MTB and off-road. The high mileage will be easier on a road bike and will have less impact on your body. 50 miles off-road will be tougher than 50 on road. So try and get a few off road rides in to break it up a bit. It's uses additional muscles.

As you get to the 50 mile rides though, you should have started to learn about what your body needs.

Edit: If you get to the point where you go light headed and feel weak, your fuelling is to late. Been there done that and had to sit down for awhile :whatever
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

yes, spot on geo.

Just to add - for fuelling it's easy to overdo it and feel sick! I think I read the glycogen in your muscles stores about an hour and a half of 'fuel'. Your body can only absorb 1g of carb per minute, so max in an hour is 60g. My on bike regime is
  • - Jordans frusli cereal bars, one per hour an a bar is about 20g of carb
    - Aldi jelly babies, at 65p a bag they are great value and taste good (orange especially). I reckoned there is about 5g of carb per baby, so about half a dozen per hour.
    - Torq drink. It has some carb and the electrolytes needed to ward off cramps, tastes good too. A bottle per hour or so - obviously depends on fluid loss, time of year, air temp etc.
Then after the ride I go for the protein, typically peanut butter by the scoop, eggs or chicken etc. Never had a protein recovery drink.

I pack a gel or two for emergency - personally I can't stand them, too gooey and sicky.

Geo - no, I don't have a MTB. I did but never really took to it.

And today, hit the road early for a 19 miler into work, left at 7, feel ok, although a couple of the hills (slopes!) were a struggle.
geodude

Post by geodude »

I might try a few longer road rides this year but it'll be on a MTB with 26" wheels and slicks.