Air Filter question.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
leevtr

Air Filter question.

Post by leevtr »

I cannot be the first person to wonder this, but....
Standard Af, has, for want of a better description, almost a plastic dividing plate along one side of the actual filter square, whereas the K&N's and the like seem to go without. Has anyone thought as to why, or even tried to replicate this on the aftermarket filter. It must have some effect on the air in the box, and would doing this make the aftermarket have the same characteristics as the standard, but with more flow.

Just wondered...might be a stupid question :lol:
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
lloydie

Re: Air Filter question.

Post by lloydie »

That and the rail in the lid form a baffle to help smooth out the air in to the filter it also pushes the air up as that the front and rear carb get the same amount of air as without it the front carb would pinch it all .
Ant this is another reason why the standard filter works better then a "performance" air filter
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm sure someone over the pond experimented and stuck the plate off a standard filter onto a K&N and noticed improvements. :think: It might have been mik actually. The problem is that these carbs are so sensitive to changes and Honda have spent many hours R and R on the volume and flow characteristics so any changes is experimental or trial and error. Even more so when other alterations have been made from standard. One could end up chasing their tail in search for improvements, power gains or whatever. Look at how just by adding two long stacks changes things and all that is doing is raising the height of one of them.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

So It wasnt a stupid question after all :thumbup:
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Not at all stupid... It's in fact one of those things that I have tried, and stuck the bike on the dyno to verify that it improves the fueling noticeably and measurably on the K&N filter...

I still don't like the K&N filter at all though, as after countless hours, I still either get a big nasty hole in the middle, or end up compromising at either ends of the rev range with it... I prefer the OEM or the BMC street filter which is basically a happy mix between the OEM and the K&N, cleanable and slightly better flow than OEM, but not straight through like the K&N...

Keep in mind, this is a fully tuned engine with very few stock parts left, and still the OEM filter bests the K&N by a country mile...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Tweety, did you also test the plastic wall on the BMC street filter?

I gave up on the K&N and went for BMC , so interested to se if it would benifit from lees mod
AMcQ
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

AMCQ46 wrote:Tweety, did you also test the plastic wall on the BMC street filter?

I gave up on the K&N and went for BMC , so interested to se if it would benifit from lees mod
:lol:

Bloody hell, I could have come up with a necessary mod :lol:

I shall await the abuse from certain members now.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Congratulations Lee, well done old chap.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Kev L wrote:Congratulations Lee, well done old chap.
What took you so long :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Now what you have to do is fit a K+N, jet accordingly, dyno test.
Then change to B<MC, dyno test after changing jetting if necessary.
Then a std Honda one.
Now repeat with your mod, and post the results.

Theories are nice, but numbers count.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Its not ' my mod ', just an observation as to the differences between std and aftermarket. I have no plans to use anything other than oe filter. Plus the money spent on dyno time chasing 2 horsepower is much better spent on handling.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

leevtr wrote:Its not ' my mod ', just an observation as to the differences between std and aftermarket. I have no plans to use anything other than oe filter. Plus the money spent on dyno time chasing 2 horsepower is much better spent on handling.
I didn't expect you to do it, lee, that's the sort of obsessive OCD approach I'd take :lol: :lol:

Wait 'til you see the next airbox.......
Might nick your idea though.... :clap:
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

tony.mon wrote:
leevtr wrote:Its not ' my mod ', just an observation as to the differences between std and aftermarket. I have no plans to use anything other than oe filter. Plus the money spent on dyno time chasing 2 horsepower is much better spent on handling.
I didn't expect you to do it, lee, that's the sort of obsessive OCD approach I'd take :lol: :lol:

Wait 'til you see the next airbox.......
Might nick your idea though.... :clap:
Tbh I kind of hope its an amazing sucess, at least I'll know my observations were well placed. I was just surprised that I'd not seen it mentioned anywhere else, and with the apparent difficulty of setting up the bike to run on a K&n, coupled with the glaringly obvious difference in the design of the OE filter, thought I'd ask the question.

Mind you, if it turns out well, feel free to give me the credit, as then I might accept it as my mod :lol:
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Oh, to add to the subject, would it not be an easy option to gut an oe filter and fill it with similar to K&N wadding, keeping the main body intact......worth a try ??????
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Probably it would be easier to cut the filter section complete with a small section of the frame holding it in, out of a K+N and fit into a std one, I thought someone was going to do that a while ago. Kev, was it you?