Which brake discs is bestest ???

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Max

Which brake discs is bestest ???

Post by Max »

I think I have just shagged one of my front discs as I now get a kick back through the brake lever when the brakes are used aggressively. I have yet to check them properly but I suspect that one is warped.

What disc's do you lot use ?? and are they any good ??

An improvement in braking would be nice. I already have braided hoses and plan to try the bendix ss pads with the new discs.

Max
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Ive got a set of PFM rotors to put on at some point, Cost £20 each from Busters a while back.
One of my disks was warped and i put a stealth viper replacement rotor on it, but when i saw the busters offer, had to buy them

Robb
Max

Post by Max »

Bugger, they sold out, great price though. they still have various for other bikes left at that price.
Max

Post by Max »

Bugger, they sold out, great price though. they still have various for other bikes left at that price.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I spoke to someone in the know last week who said he's had to send a lot of those PFM disks back.
Apparently the thicknesses can vary on the disks which causes a judder under braking as the pads release when they get to the thin part and then grab as the fatter part comes back round.
Check 'em before use is the advice

MAX
Before you start splashing out on new disks, check it is definitely them.
Mate thought his were shagged so fitted new ones -still juddering
It was only when I pointed out the 4mm free plpay in the front wheel that the shagged bearings were noticed :P

Ben
Max

Post by Max »

Thanks Ben, I plan to strip the bike completely in a few weeks prior to its mot date in december so I will check the front end completely.
Busters said they had the PFM discs cheap as PFM had stopped producing them and busters had bought up all the stock.

What discs do you use with your bendix pads ??
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Just normal bog stock Honda ones
Coz I'm tight :lol:

Ben
Max

Post by Max »

For those who want to have a laugh, I've just had a look at my front wheel and I think I may have found the cause of the vibration. There was no noticable runout on the discs, the wheel bearings were fine. Then I looked at the rotors and carriers in more detail and on the carriers one of the triangular cutouts has become a diamond. it looks like whoever had the bike before must have used a disc lock or similar on it and it has worn a slight groove in the carrier which has started to collapse.
the disc is flat but it is no longer round !!! this also explains why it was getting worse as well.

I dont think i'll be going for a ride today !!!!!

Max
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

8O Ouch! 8O
That could have been nasty. Good find Max

Pete.l
RQ

Post by RQ »

Sure it wasn't bent by someone driving away with the lock still in?I've got a disk like that too!! Mine doesn't rumble or vibe anymore either. Damned disk locks :oops: . Have an alarmed one now so if I forget, it will tell me.
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Max

Post by Max »

I dunno how it was done, I have never used anything on the front discs so it could have been as you say. It was the fact the carrier seems to be collapsing bothered me more 8O :? :lol:
Max

Post by Max »

Job Done,

EBC prolite discs now fitted, horrible vibration now gone. Brakes now 100% better than before 1 or 2 fingers only required. I have had a real good look at the old discs and the disk lock or what ever was used has caused all sorts of damage.

Max
Martin

Post by Martin »

Max, what pads are you using? I've got prolite discs and could do with a bit more bite....the standard EBC pads don't seem to deliver. The lads in the garage who fitted my discs reckon HH sintered pads can warp the discs. Anyone else got a point of view?? Already got steel hoses so I put it down to the pads.
Martin
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.
Max

Post by Max »

I put the HH pads on, as I was given them with the discs. I do plan to try the bendix ones that ben uses eventually.
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

The HH pads with OE discs are a good combination. Did you catch the MCN test of brake rotors a little while back? The OE stuff was either better or MARGINALLY lacking. Is it worth all that money and effort if it's just for show?

:D
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!