cush drive

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
maleresa

cush drive

Post by maleresa »

i have a 2001 vtr, at the weekend while i was cleaning the chain i noticed about an inch, 25m/m of free play rotational in the cush drive on the wheel ,i have checked in the manual but it just says replace if required ,should there be that much play or should i replace the rubbers ,they are around thirty quid on the ebay so it might just be worth doing them anyway .any advice please malc ......
Jamoi

Re: cush drive

Post by Jamoi »

Hey! I recently asked about this, as my Cush drive rubbers are worn too.

Wicky suggested a tip given by Benny, to cut up squares of ice cream tub plastic and space the rubbers out, I tried this & it has worked a treat! Also, if you decide to replace them with new rubbers, it might be worth paying the extra for genuine ones as pattern ones might have inferior compound rubber & wear prematurely.

Hope that helps :)
Jamie :wave:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Can you feel the movement at all when rolling on or off the throttle. An inch of play sounds like way to much to me. I would expect a little play while in gear and spinning the wheel while jacked up off the ground. But if the wheel is off and I try spinning the sprocket carrier by hand I would expect no movement as it should be a snug fit.

The rubber Cush blocks will naturally have a certain amount of flex in them being rubber which is what gives you the smoothness when pulling away while the chain takes up the slack. Think of it like suspension for your Drivetrain . I don't think it's wear so much that is a problem with the Cush rubbers, but over time the rubber deteriorates and goes rock hard and losses it's flex, then the wear begins and eventually they would break up.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

maleresa wrote:i have a 2001 vtr, at the weekend while i was cleaning the chain i noticed about an inch, 25m/m of free play rotational in the cush drive on the wheel ,i have checked in the manual but it just says replace if required ,should there be that much play or should i replace the rubbers ,they are around thirty quid on the ebay so it might just be worth doing them anyway .any advice please malc ......
25mm..Sounds like the wrong cush drive rubbers to me !!
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
maleresa

Post by maleresa »

thanks for the advice think i will strip them out and see what has happened to them ,went to silverstone two up finished off my rear maxxis so has probably done for the rubbers as well .oh well onward and upwards :)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

An inch of rotational wheel movement measured at the rim is wwaaay too much, and you won't be able to just add spacers to shim it up that much.
Buy some new ones.

Benny would be revolving in his urn.......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
shaggy-doo

Post by shaggy-doo »

hi as said before that is a lot of play for cush drive rubbers so i would replace them with genuine : http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/VTR1 ... art_66900/ or do the ice cream tub mod for now but i wouldn't go for them after market ones of ebay. good luck with what ever you decide i would change them out with new ones if it was me :thumbup:
Regards ian
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

I change mine every two years or the same time I change my air filter, this also helps keep the chain alive longer.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

bazza696 wrote:I change mine every two years or the same time I change my air filter, this also helps keep the chain alive longer.
Without thinking I just bought some off ebay... doh! I'll see how long they last. Then get some genuine ones.

You even told me to get genuine ones on our last ride out, clip me round the ear when I see you next :lol:

Sent from my GT-19505 using Telekinesis
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Jamoi wrote:
bazza696 wrote:I change mine every two years or the same time I change my air filter, this also helps keep the chain alive longer.
Without thinking I just bought some off ebay... doh! I'll see how long they last. Then get some genuine ones.

You even told me to get genuine ones on our last ride out, clip me round the ear when I see you next :lol:

bloody right I will, you will learn the hard way young Padawin
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Haha I just looked at my first post in this thread....

:lol: :lol: pass me the dunce cap