F2 clock upgrade on a 1998 Firestorm

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
markt2143

F2 clock upgrade on a 1998 Firestorm

Post by markt2143 »

I would like to know if it is just a quick plug change or is it a mammoth task to fit F2 clocks to an older Firestorm with just the analog dials , can anybody help please .
VTRDark

Re: F2 clock upgrade on a 1998 Firestorm

Post by VTRDark »

No not quite that simple. You have a digital fuel level and temperature reading so would need a later model temp sender unit and a ball c ock (like toilet) style float unit for the fuel tank instead of the fuel level sender unit that you have now.

Loads of info on the Superhawk forum regarding this.
http://bit.ly/1gE40vD

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

the vfr 750 float can be used in the vtr tank, just takes some cutting and bending to get it to clear all the bars in the tank.
markt2143

Post by markt2143 »

Hi I've spliced in the F2 speedo/clocks and I've replaced the temp sender and the fuel level sender with F2 parts but now the fuel gauge only reads full , does any body now of somebody that is able to check the clocks for me to see if the fuel gauge reading is working correctly as I've already put an ohms reading on the sender in the tank and the reading output changes if I move the sender up and down , or can someone tell me what the ohms reading should be at full or/and empty to be able to eliminate this part ?
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

couldn't you just use the float and sending unti from a 2001 and later VTR, with the digital fuel gauge?
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

I think that's what he has done... But... just inserting that in the older tank will cause it to hang on the internals, which should make it read full or nearly full... To get it to work, you need to bed the arm to clear internal parts...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

yep, thats the exact problem, you have to re shape it to miss all the bits inside the tank, i should have taken a photo of it when i finished it, had to cut off about 20mm and move the float up the arm too,its a bit of a pain.
markt2143

Post by markt2143 »

Hi thanks for your help I have adjusted the float arm and all now seems fine but instead of cutting the float arm I've bent it around a 3/8 drive ratchet extension and it now resembles a piece of spaghetti !